CrazyBoards.org

Just prescribed immediate release Wellbutrin

So my pdoc gave me a script for generic 75 mg immediate release Wellbutrin which, depending on how the pill is shaped, I plan on cutting into halves or quarters to take at first because I'm super cautious like that.  It's an add on to the Lexapro to try to counteract some of its suckier aspects a bit.

I elected to take immediate release Wellbutrin because it is the only version you can cut up into tiny doses.  But I have heard that immediate release has way suckier side effects in general.

So my first question is: Do you think it's likely to go ok if I just take it slow with tiny doses at first?  Or are the side effects of immediate release so bad that I just shouldn't even mess with it?  I can always get generic SR but I'll have to start at a much higher dose.

Second question: Is generic Wellbutrin ok in your experience?

Question 3+4: How early in the day do I need to take it if I don't want major insomnia at night?  Can I take it in the morning and be able to go back to sleep or am I screwed?

Thank you so much.

P.S. Don't feel obligated to answer all of these questions.  If you can answer just one that's fine with me.

So my pdoc gave me a script for generic 75 mg immediate release Wellbutrin which, depending on how the pill is shaped, I plan on cutting into halves or quarters to take at first because I'm super cautious like that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So were you prescribed 75 mg. a day, or 75 mg. twice a day for 150 mg. a day total? That's a standard starter dose, and my guess is your pdoc will see how you do on it, and up your dose as needed as you get used to it, or switch you to something else if it isn't right for you.

I've never heard that it was OK to cut up Wellbutrin IR, especially into more than two pieces. It doesn't make sense because it's not scored for cutting, and if you try, especially into more than two pieces, there's no way to control the sizes you're going to get, so you're bound to get a different dose in every piece.

Generic buproprion is fine, that's what my HMO gives me because it's cheaper. I started out with Wellbutrin and Zyban, but it's all the same thing, just trade names for the same drug.

I had insomnia problems for a few weeks along with some other side effects, then it went away. I would take my morning dose at about 7 a.m., and my night dose at about 5 p.m., and it would be fine.

I've never heard that it was OK to cut up Wellbutrin IR, especially into more than two pieces. It doesn't make sense because it's not scored for cutting, and if you try, especially into more than two pieces, there's no way to control the sizes you're going to get, so you're bound to get a different dose in every piece.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

*shrug* Both my pdoc and pharmacist thought it would be just fine to cut up the pill.  And as for my dose I'm titrating up to 75mg only once a day.  Hmm, now that I think about that that sounds weird.  I thought that unless you have Wellbutrin XL you have to take it more than once a day.

Hollywood, I think you're probably letting your anxiety about meds in general get a little ahead of you here. Generally, 150 mgs IR is the starting dose. If you are going to cut one tablet in half, you'll be at 25% of a starting dose or 12.5% of the standard dose.

For me and many others, it has a very benign side effect profile. And if you're starting out on the IR tablets, if you don't like it, no big deal since it will be out of your system in less than a day.

I have found the combination of Wellbutrin and an SSRI to be as close to perfect as it comes with psych meds. I hope it works well for you, too.

Greeny

Archived