CrazyBoards.org

Xanax Addiction

Hey everyone,

I have been taking .25mg of Xanax about 5 days a week for almost a year now.  I skip the weekends, only taking it on workdays.

Do you think that I would go through withdrawal if I tried to stop (not that I am planning on it - I love my Xanax!).  This being such a small dose and all?

I was just curious - any input would help.

Thanks!!

Hey everyone,

I have been taking .25mg of Xanax about 5 days a week for almost a year now.  I skip the weekends, only taking it on workdays.

Do you think that I would go through withdrawal if I tried to stop (not that I am planning on it - I love my Xanax!).  This being such a small dose and all?

I was just curious - any input would help.

Thanks!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Xanax is a powerful and addictive drug, even at 0.25 mg.

If you would stop taking Xanax cold turkey you almost certainly would notice it. But the effect would probably be mild, at most moderate if you are sensitive to benzos.

I dunno if you can go the weekend with none and are not having any problems, I don't think it will be a big issue. I wouldn't go cold turkey, maybe try every other day and see how that works first.

I am assuming you mean one dose of .25mg a day, not several  times a day, right?

CC~

Don't go cold turkey on any benzos! That's how I got messed-up. The best way to get off benzos is a slow Valium taper - see the Ashton Manual

uhm.  the ashton taper says that the only way to taper xanax is with xanax. and IF one is only on .25mg/day there is no smaller dosage (other than skipping days.)

Benzos suck!

they saved MY life and continue to help ME live more fully. maybe your meds would suck for me. speak for yourself please.

jen -- IF i understand your dosage (a mere .25mg once/day) and your curiosity, maybe try the every other day, or just take it just when you need it, or ask your doc. aloha.

No the Ashton taper is definately NOT Xanax - it's Valium (I'm on the taper). Valium half-life is up to 200 hours, Xanax is 4-6 hours. Not a good benzo to taper from - probably the absolute worst benzo ever made in my opinion.

If you like your benzos then ENJOY! because it's HELL to get off of them, especially the short half-life ones (Xanax, Ativan, Klonopin, etc.)

Is this a pro-drug forum or what?? I thought this wasn't. If so - I'm outta here!

Oh, and I WILL SPEAK FOR MYSELF!!!

Oh one more thing before this gets deleted. A couple of good books to read:

Your Drug May Be Your Problem and Toxic Psychiatry - both by Dr. Peter Breggin. If you like having your brain messed up by shrinks why not go for some electro-shock therapy or insulin-coma therapy while you're at it, maybe a lobotomy would be fun too!

DRUGS DON"T SOLVE ANY PROBLEMS, don't believe the "biochemical imbalance" garbage - there is NO way to measure or prove that crap! It's not like your brain is a quart or two low on benzodiazepines and you need a refill.

Benzos actually make the problem worse over time, they may help for a while but eventually they all turn on you - I learned that the hard way.

I can find the door myself thank you.

i quote from the tapering sticky above:

Please note, that some people advocate only tapering off xanax (alprazolam) with xanax, due to some differing action in the striatum from alprazolam, but I, personally, do not subscribe to that unless you are on high daily dose of xanax (higher than 6mg) -- other moderators may agree or disagree with this opinion and recommend a discontinuation solely on xanax.

so in general it is an open question, but please note that asthon does not even address tapering from .25rmg xanax/day because that is basically the minumum one can take!

for the record i'm not even on xanax, i just wanted to put in my two cents and help clarify for the original poster who is hopefully not more anxious by now about xanax being the devil or something.

HadEnough, i'm sorry that being put on meds and taken off got you "messed-up."    most of us were more "messed up" before we found meds that worked.    and those meds and the amount are different for everyone.

jen, please do write back.

DRUGS DON"T SOLVE ANY PROBLEMS, don't believe the "biochemical imbalance" garbage - there is NO way to measure or prove that crap! It's not like your brain is a quart or two low on benzodiazepines and you need a refill.

uhm. i'm not even gonna address that here as i'd be preaching to the choir.

aloha.

Lei is correct. 

If this poster is truly only taking .25 mg a day, what would be the purpose to switch to valium or anything? It is such a low dose there is no need to switch, only get the doses further (which means days) apart.

Pretty simple stuff.

I did it myself. Was zero problem. I can now take it prn with no worries. I rarely need to.

CC~

Oh one more thing before this gets deleted. A couple of good books to read:

Your Drug May Be Your Problem and Toxic Psychiatry - both by Dr. Peter Breggin. If you like having your brain messed up by shrinks why not go for some electro-shock therapy or insulin-coma therapy while you're at it, maybe a lobotomy would be fun too!

Benzos actually make the problem worse over time, they may help for a while but eventually they all turn on you - I learned that the hard way.

I can find the door myself thank you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dr. Breggin is a crackpot. I don't understand why someone doesn't take his doctor's title back. Most of what he says is either untrue, a half-truth or twisted. I think it's really dangerous to have him practice psychiatry.

Sometimes people seek to solve their problems with drugs too easily. That's true.

And I would not be surprised if the "biological imbalance" sometimes just doesn't exist or just doesn't represent a proper picture of several psychic/psychiatric issues. But the fact is, that many people use these meds and many people benefit from them. Often, they work well. And if something doesn't work well, there's often an alternative that does.

No the Ashton taper is definately NOT Xanax - it's Valium (I'm on the taper). Valium half-life is up to 200 hours, Xanax is 4-6 hours. Not a good benzo to taper from - probably the absolute worst benzo ever made in my opinion.

If you like your benzos then ENJOY! because it's HELL to get off of them, especially the short half-life ones (Xanax, Ativan, Klonopin, etc.)

Is this a pro-drug forum or what?? I thought this wasn't. If so - I'm outta here!

Oh, and I WILL SPEAK FOR MYSELF!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HeadEnough, I've had enough of you. You've just written several things that are not true. I'm not going to point out which things are incorrect.

If you have ever had a brain tumor and had your pituitary gland removed, you would not even question chemical imbalance, one system affects all others.

You would be bowing down to the replacement meds. that your body can not make.  I have issues with psychiatry, politics, religion, medical doc.,alternative medicene, rude people in movie theatres,,  Got the picture?

Nothing and no one is perfect.  We finds ways to adapt.  Instead of just puffing up and trying to shame others, look at your issues.  There are still lessons to be learned.  Doxie

Yes HadEnough Tell us the truth about what you've written there?

Psychiatry is 100% correct 100% of the time, THEY really know their stuff - I LOVE PSYCHIATRY!! and I love benzos, I plan on spending the rest of my life on them even if they make my memory bad, my anxiety worse, etc. etc. I love it when I'm into tolerance withdrawal and I have to up my dose. Pretty soon I'll be up to 25mg Xanax then life will be just great!!!

Yes HadEnough Tell us the truth about what you've written there?

Psychiatry is 100% correct 100% of the time, THEY really know their stuff - I LOVE PSYCHIATRY!! and I love benzos, I plan on spending the rest of my life on them even if they make my memory bad, my anxiety worse, etc. etc. I love it when I'm into tolerance withdrawal and I have to up my dose. Pretty soon I'll be up to 25mg Xanax then life will be just great!!!? :P

Dr. Breggin BAD? ;) , Dr. Evil GOOD? :ninja:

www.benzoisland.org BAD? :) ? www.crazyboards.org GOOD? :ninja:

GABA GABA HEY!! GABA GABA HEY!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WTF?

One person, posting under two identities ?

Trolling should not be allowed.

thanks everyone i think a point has been made and hopefully jen is less confused than this thread.

thank you HadEnough for the wisdom to reconsider and the courage/sensitivity to apologize (i, for one, accept.)

cabal unless something was deleted before i saw it, i don't see someone posting uner two identities?

but i do see someone who i would like to believe is the real joey ramone (and please don't dash my hallucinations) thank you for making me laugh  ;)

aloha

Thanks everyone for the responses! 

I actually have no plans to discontinue the Xanax (as I said in my first post) but was just curious as to what would be considered "long term use".  But to be honest with you, I was off for the long labor day weekend and therefore, didn't take the Xanax for 4 days and I didn't notice any sort of withdrawal or rebound anxiety or anything.  I felt just fine!

I personally think Xanax is a Godsend for those of us with panic disorder and bad anxiety and I would strongly recommend it.  I just wouldn't give it to people with potential for addiction problems because it could get easy to get carried away with it.  I know people who have been taking it for YEARS with no problems.  Just treat it with the respect it deserves.

I agree - Xanax can be a true lifesaver. Don't know where I would be without it (curled up under the bed in a foetal position, probably). Personally, I'm trying to taper off the stuff at the moment, but you can bet I'm taking it slow. I'm using a pill cutter (a sort of miniature dustbin with a razor in it) to remove a little bit at a time.

O, and regarding the works of the esteemed dr. Breggin: it's obvious there's now a whole industry of so-called critical psychiatrists trying to make money by selling paranoia. On the other end of the spectrum there's the faramceutical industry, also keen to make a buck. So its up to (wait for it..) us, the consumers, to remain critical of the so-called facts presented by either of them (while still taking our meds, of course!)

• 4 weeks later...

;)   I have kicked coke,thorazine,sour mash whiskey  all things phycodelic but this coffee and cigarett thing has won.

from what i have read the tuff drugs to get off are hard to find now anywhere=barbituates and methaqualone ( ludes)  be carefull taking any drug and pick your doctors wisely because the motives of alot of professions have changed.

Archived