CrazyBoards.org

Panic Attacks & Effexor..

I'm new here, I hope I'm doing this right....

If anyone can give any advice on panic attacks & Effexor?  4 months ago--competely out of the blue my husband began having panic attacks.  He has gone through every test you can imagine....  At first he refused to take any meds, but being out on disability the entire time and getting frustrated he decided to give the Effexor a try--75 mg.  I hate watching him go through this, I don't know what to do.  We've been in the ER 6x this summer..  I'm trying to give him love & support through this difficult time, I told him maybe he should switch jobs, but he says he loves his job.  I have read all the bad side effects of Effexor, please someone tell me the good side effects.  Will this med help?  Is there hope?  And what else can I do for him?

i was prescribed effexor for anxiety, panic attacks and minor depression about 9 months ago.  over a couple months i titrated up to 300mg.  a rather high dose, i know.  i couldn't feel anything at 37.5.  75 wasn't much of a difference.  i titrated up to 150 in a few weeks and suddenly things started getting better.  that's the first time i noticed much of a difference.  i find that although the effexor makes me FEEL a lot better, i still get the anxiety and the PAs.  my doc has me on klonopin.  it's a benzo that can be taken every morning, afternoon, or whatever and it really helps your body deal with the panicky situations.  my advice is to stick it out with the effexor.  i know a lot of ppl on it and some swear by it.  i know that it would be tough to convince me at this point to switch and try something else.  i really like the effexor.  but the klonopin has also been key.  perhaps he can mention this to his doctor?

hope some of this helps.  there IS hope and getting information is always a good first step.  as shitty as it is, there are so many of us who have lived through gripping panic attacks and have learned how to manage it. 

good luck with everything,

Sme

Archived