CrazyBoards.org

Abilify, Buproprion SR, Trazodone, and Clonazepam

Guest needabrain

Guest needabrain

I just started the Clonezapam yesterday and I'm curious if anybody has any experience with this cocktail. I'm on 5mg twice a day of Abilify, 200mg twice a day of Buproprion SR, 50mg of Trazodone, and 1/2mg three times a day of Clonezapam. I'm new at this cocktail stuff and I guess I need to be shown the ropes. So please help me understand all that I should know with this cocktail.

I just started the Clonezapam yesterday and I'm curious if anybody has any experience with this cocktail. I'm on 5mg twice a day of Abilify, 200mg twice a day of Buproprion SR, 50mg of Trazodone, and 1/2mg three times a day of Clonezapam. I'm new at this cocktail stuff and I guess I need to be shown the ropes. So please help me understand all that I should know with this cocktail.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Check My Meds had a moderate metabolic interaction between Abilify and Bupropion ("Coadministration with drugs that are inhibitors of CYP450 2D6 and/or 3A4 may increase the plasma concentrations of aripiprazole, which is metabolized by these isoenzymes."), bupropion can decrease the clearance of trazodone, additive CNS depressant effects for trazodone + clonazepam + Abilify (don't know how "moderate" it is when you add them up trazodone + clonazepam, trazodone + aripiprazole, and clonazepam + aripiprazole), trazodone and bupropion also have a metabolic interaction and rapid discontinuation of clonazepam and any other benzodiazepine derivative (you can see the original benzodiazepine here) makes bupropion even more seizuriffic.

And of course, you must avert your eyes in the presence of grapefruit and/or grapefruit products.

Guest needabrain

Thank you Stringy for putting that is pseudo english for me. My brain doesn't compute as well as I normally could. My brain is a fried egg, a carp's brain, etc. And today I'm feeling like the living dead. Dizzy, light headed, living dead but still a zombie. I think I might need to remove one of these meds if I continue feeling this way.

Thank you Stringy for putting that is pseudo english for me. My brain doesn't compute as well as I normally could. My brain is a fried egg, a carp's brain, etc. And today I'm feeling like the living dead. Dizzy, light headed, living dead but still a zombie. I think I might need to remove one of these meds if I continue feeling this way.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're welcome.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Needabrain, do you have a diagnosis ?

This is certainly a cocktail with what appear to be contradictions. Do you know what all these meds are for ? I don't claim to know better than your doc what's good for you, but it might be a good idea to reduce the number of the meds you use. And there are programs (for example, at aidsmeds.com or .org) that check for interactions between meds, but they don't always give the full picture and we don't know how things interact inside YOUR body.

Guest needabrain

My diagnosis is depression( I keep forgeting to ask what kind). And yes I do know what each med is for.

Abilify-voices/major mood swings

Buproprion SR-depression

Trazodone-sleep

Clonezapam-anxiety

I wonder what my doc is thinking sometimes.

My diagnosis is depression( I keep forgeting to ask what kind). And yes I do know what each med is for.

Abilify-voices/major mood swings

Buproprion SR-depression

Trazodone-sleep

Clonezapam-anxiety

I wonder what my doc is thinking sometimes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you perhaps bipolar ? If it's just a common depression an SSRI would probably more effective, at least safer. (because of the possibility of seizures). If lethargy/inactivity was the main aspect of your depression, then an activating "antidepressant" such as wellbutrin would make sense. But of course, for bipolar you can't use SSRI's, not without a mood stabilizer anyway.

Isn't the amount of trazadone a bit small ? I may be wrong, but I think that people often take several 100's of mg of it. But that's no reason to take more of it, if it's working.

Clonazepam may indeed be effective against anxiety. It has a long half-life so you should have to take it only 1 to 2 times a day. Follow the prescription.

Clonazepam may make you sleepy in the beginning, and with the trazadone at current dosages that effect may become too strong.

Maybe you have to start with a low dose of clonazepam and then work it up to something stronger ? What did your doctor say about that ?

StrungoutOnLife mentioned something about certain interactions between certain meds. Maybe dosages need to be adjusted, if you think what he says is correct. I don't know if your doctor has taken that into account.

You could call your doc, and maybe wait with the clonazepam if you can, till you have talked to your doctor about possibly adjusting dosages.

At itself, your cocktail makes sense, is logical.

But you also said: "My brain doesn't compute as well as I normally could. My brain is a fried egg, a carp's brain, etc. And today I'm feeling like the living dead. Dizzy, light headed, living dead but still a zombie. I think I might need to remove one of these meds if I continue feeling this way."

I don't know what's causing that, may abilify or bupropion, or the interaction between the two, or something else. This is something that you should also discuss with your doctor.

Guest needabrain

We already tried SSRIs they didn't work. I had strange reactions to the meds and they didn't do much. As for being bipolar it is a possibility but I think I have to experience more criteria in order to be dxed as that. Yes modivation and energy are symptoms that I experience. I *just* started on the trazodone. I've only been on it for two weeks. I have a history of weird med reactions so they start me off at a small dose. I can get the Trazodone adjusted this week because it isn't working, I'm still waking up at 5AM. And the whole brain thing started with the Buproprion and got worse when Clonezapam was added.

We already tried SSRIs they didn't work. I had strange reactions to the meds and they didn't do much. As for being bipolar it is a possibility but I think I have to experience more criteria in order to be dxed as that. Yes modivation and energy are symptoms that I experience. I *just* started on the trazodone. I've only been on it for two weeks. I have a history of weird med reactions so they start me off at a small dose. I can get the Trazodone adjusted this week because it isn't working, I'm still waking up at 5AM. And the whole brain thing started with the Buproprion and got worse when Clonezapam was added.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's interesting, because Norepinephrine has some downery properties.

Not finding too on worsened depression with bupropion.

wellbutrin "worsened depression was much more productive. One hit towards the bottom of an askapatient page so far. This was for the SR formulation, in case you're wondering.

Here's something interesting:

2004N-0330 - Joint Meeting of the Psychopharmacologic Drugs Advisory Committee and the Pediatric Advisory Committee

FDA Comment Number: EC7

Submitter: Dr. Jeffry Klugman

Date & Time: 08/30/2004 02:08:26

Organization: Dr. Jeffry Klugman, Health Professional

Category: Issue Areas/Comments

GENERAL

GENERAL

I am a psychiatrist specializing in psychoppharmacology, treating adults and adolescents.  I have been especially interested in bipolar disorder since 1995, before most of my colleagues became aware of bipolar's prevalence. I currently treat hundreds of patients with this illness, as well as a comparable number with other diagnoses:  depression, anxiety disorders, substance abuse, etc.  Bipolar is about half my practice.

According to a study by Geller, now at Washington U, 48% of children and adolescents with depression will be rediagnosed as bipolar by the age of 20.  Another study by Todd, who also happens to be from Washington U, followed a cohort of pre-adolescent children with depression, having eliminated any children with bipolar features or a family history of bipolar.  Two years later, one third of those children had been rediagnosed bipolar.

In general, the younger the person with a mood disorder, the more likely it is or will become bipolar disorder.  I'll overgeneralize and say that bipolar is an illness of 14 year olds, and depression an illness of 40 year olds.  Of course that's a distortion, but it contains an important grain of truth.

Administering an antidepressant to a patient with bipolar disorder may induce mania, agitation, anxiety, worsened depression, cycling or even psychosis.  Although between one fifth and one third of bipolar patients will ultimately need antidepressants, treaters who know bipolar try to avoid antidepressants, and certainly will only prescribe them to patients already on mood stabilizers.

Psychiatrists in general have done a bad job diagnosing bipolar.  A study in the '90s said that the average patient with bipolar had been in psychiatric treatment for 8 years before getting the right diagnosis.  There are many more similarly horrifying statistics.  The most common misdiagnosis is to say a bipolar patient has a major (unipolar) depression.

To pull this together then, kids with mood disorders tend to have bipolar.  Bipolar is often misdiagnosed as depression.  Also kids with depression tend to become bipolar at some later date.  Giving an antidepressant to someone with actual or latent bipolar disorder, in the absence of mood stabilizers, will often make them feel WORSE!

In conclusion, a lot of the children and adolescents being given antidepressants have bipolar illness or a bipolar diathesis. No wonder some of them feel worse and have increased suicidal ideation.

It is important that treaters be made aware of this possibility.  To restrict the use of antidepressants in children and adolescents, however, is throwing out the baby (and the children and the adolescents) with the bathwater.  Many kids need those drugs!  Don't do anything foolish, please.

This was done with copy and paste. The only alterations I made were the elimination of unnecessary spaces and hard returns.

I still haven't found anything like this on bupropion and clonazepam.

Edited to add: I know you already know this crap. This was just the most official-looking thing I could find last night that concurred.

Needabrain, maybe you need to change the dosage of clonazepam or bupropion. Maybe eliminate one of these, or both. Or switch one of these for something else.

The way it's going now is no good. Talk to your doc, and try to come up with something that's working for you. And maybe fewer meds is more, in your case.

You said that the SSRI's didn't work for you. Maybe you could replace with something that deals with norepinephrine alone, like strattera ? (it's somewhat similar to bupropion, except that bupropion also works on dopamine). Or maybe you could try something like Mirapex (or cabergoline, bromocriptine) to work on dopamine ? But it can be dangerous stuff.

I just have the idea -and I may be totally wrong- that you're better off without most of these meds.

I just have the idea -and I may be totally wrong- that you're better off without most of these meds.

I just have the idea -and I may be totally wrong- that you're a blathering idiot.  If you're going to make statements like that either state your reasoning or keep them to yourself.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
Guest stylez

Guest Stylez

My partner was using clonezapam, for 15 years, it has been a hard time for him for the last 6 months, he has gone off them, i have researched this drug, it is a mind altering drug, i would recommend not to use, i would not wish this on anyone, he now suffering from physcosis, he cant hold a thought, he is now have phobias, that never exsisted before, he cant remember anything long term, he cant communicate with others, he his constant broken sleeps, he has been advised that this is the affects of the long term use, it suppresses the real issues, it has affected our family so much it just ;) He doesnt know if he is happy or sad, i am just priviledged that he is a patient and obedient man, the medical system is :) I am in the process of lodging a claim because this is not a natural occurance, it is the affects of this crap, they pump it into u, so they dont have to deal with the real issue of being depressed

My brain doesn't compute as well as I normally could. My brain is a fried egg, a carp's brain, etc. And today I'm feeling like the living dead. Dizzy, light headed, living dead but still a zombie. I think I might need to remove one of these meds if I continue feeling this way.

Has this problem gotten any better with the changes or time?

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest out2lunch...

My brain doesn't compute as well as I normally could. My brain is a fried egg, a carp's brain, etc. And today I'm feeling like the living dead. Dizzy, light headed, living dead but still a zombie. I think I might need to remove one of these meds if I continue feeling this way.

Has this problem gotten any better with the changes or time?

Archived