CrazyBoards.org

Came up then crashed again

I was on 10 mg of lexapro for 3 weeks and I came back up and my anxiety went away. Then 17 days later I crashed again. Doc puts me up to 15 and 4 days later I come up for a day and a half, then crash again. I am getting desperate and dont understand this at all. I will go to 20 on tuesday if nothing happens by then. Anyone ever have responses that quickly poop out like this...HELP!!!

It might not be solely a matter of poop-out. The road out of depression is not linear. There are a lot of ups and downs. Mostly downs in the beginning, complicated by the fear and anxiety that any small bit of feeling better was only temporary. Over several weeks, the downs are not as steep and shorter in duration, and the up side gets stronger. Don't lose hope. It's a bumpy ride, but the direction is up.

Btw, 10 mgs of Lexapro did nearly nothing for me. 20 was better.

Hang in.

Greeny

Greeny is right. You will go up and down until you  1.) get at the most therapeutic dose for YOU, and  2.) Have been at that dose for at least 8 weeks.

The ssri's are particulary fickle that way too.

I know how discouraging it is when you have some good days only to have a sinking feeling that the good days aren't so good anymore. It is however a great sign that you had a response so early on with 10 mgs! I know lots of people end up on 20 mgs of lex. Hang in there and remind yourself that a good response usually means it can/will work.

Give it more time. I know it is frustrating but when it fully kicks in, you should be very stable.

Im going into my 4th month, second time around with paxil. I am pretty much stable but have an occasional anxious or down day, but they are "tolerable" and do not spin my mind out of control. I know it will pass quickly.

Best of luck to you, keep posting.

CC~

I just dont understand how at 10 I am good for 17 days and and then crash, then at 15 1 good day and then crash again and now am just in such bad shape, I just dont want to live much longer. I am actually getting worse again each day and just scared terribly. It is now 7 weeks with at least 10 and 10 days with at least 15.

It might not be solely a matter of poop-out. The road out of depression is not linear. There are a lot of ups and downs. Mostly downs in the beginning, complicated by the fear and anxiety that any small bit of feeling better was only temporary. Over several weeks, the downs are not as steep and shorter in duration, and the up side gets stronger. Don't lose hope. It's a bumpy ride, but the direction is up.

Btw, 10 mgs of Lexapro did nearly nothing for me. 20 was better.

Hang in.

Greeny

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just dont understand how at 10 I am good for 17 days and and then crash, then at 15 1 good day and then crash again and now am just in such bad shape, I just dont want to live much longer. I am actually getting worse again each day and just scared terribly. It is now 7 weeks with at least 10 and 10 days with at least 15.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think the med is pooping out on you yet.  You were started at a fairly low dose and most times, when a person is starting meds, the dose is upped until the symptoms are relieved.  IMO, the fact that it helped some is a good sign that it may be a good drug for you.  Please be patient....

Thanks for all the responses. I went up to 20 today and am hoping that the med starts to work again soon. I dont understand what this means Elvis as it applied to me coming up after 21 days and being solid for 17 and then coming way down. At 20, if it is the right dose will I pretty stay afloat this time or crash and up and crash and up? I've heard a lot of people say it just switched on one day and they never went back down again. Is that not true at all for most people?

What they said.

I don't think there is any one thing that happens to "most people". It is just a case of, "may happen to some people."

Some people have this very up and down crap until 2 to 3 months into it. Some get the switch to "On" in only a week or two. (Aren't they the lucky ones?)

That is why you will see this > YMMV < "Your Mileage May Vary," so often posted on this site.

If you are mainly wanting relief from your anxiety, that can take a bit longer than the antidepressant effects. Anxiety is a tough animal to tame but you really should keep getting better with more up days than down, Try not to freak out if you have two bad days in a row, they should not be AS bad. Remember too that some us even on long term SSRI therapy still can have an anxious day. The ssri should keep it from becoming full blown panic though.

CC~

Archived