CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
isis

Thinking of getting a dog

Do you have pet insurance in Australia? We have it now. For my Boxer, we had it, and it paid for half her costs, and she was old, so she was developing a lot of ailments.

We had it for several years for my Frenchie, but my husband got laid off, and didn't want to renew. Then she had two $2k emergencies within a month. We would have gotten back at least half of that, if we had the stupid insurance. So we are buying it again.

another option if you fear a possible large expense is looking into pet insurance-- again you would have to weigh the cost vs. benefit ratio. I haven't had it with either of my two dogs but with my dalmatian I WISHED I had it-- two digested socks and surgeries racked up huge unexpected costs quickly-- and we still to this day haven't figured out where she got them from-- thankfully that was just the puppy stage!

Other than those few run-ins I would say that my dogs are VITAL to my health-- someone to cry with when needed and someone that makes me get out of the house/bed even when I really don't feel like it!

Good luck and ENJOY!

yellowbutterflies, here are my values/comments on pros/cons

Cons:

- buying dog food is an extra cost (but i don't spend much on food for myself, i stick to my budget, and i buy when things are on sale, etc. I spend about $30 a week on groceries and that includes cat food. the person looking after the dog spends $5 a week for her, i can afford that, or more)

- dogs need to go to the vet more and it can be expensive I have $500 that i am going to put away to save for vet visits in the near future, and I will add to this so that the money is always available.

- they will live for many years and its more responsibility i'm aware of this, i think its a positive thing that they will stay alive, i don't get sick of animals

- you need to walk them regularly and spend time with them. this is really a huge benefit to me as well as them.

- i am moving at the end of the year and will need to find a rental that will be happy to have a cat and a dog its not impossible, and plenty of people rent with animals

- my parents do not like the idea i talked to my mum again, and she wasn't so upset. she is ok with the idea so long as it doesnt become her responsibility

Pros:

- i am home nearly all the time so i am around for company and enjoy having company since i live in a quiet area and have no friends my age here having a pet has saved my life, many times over. i spend a lot of time with my cat, and would with a dog, and it is one of the most valuable and cherished times of my life.

- having the responsibility of walking and looking after the dog would make me exercise and do something. Even when i'm extremely sick i still look after my cat. I can't bear the thought of neglecting him its important to me that they are looked after well. just like children, they can't get their own food, take themselves to the vet. Looking after my cat has actually helped me look after myself better. when i get up to feed him, i feed myself too.

- the dog actually likes me, and i like it she's got a lovely nature

- having another 'friend' is a really big positive for my mental health i think it would really be good. focusing on someone/something other than myself is always good.

- I have friends that are willing to look after it for a few days if i want to go away, and friends that would look after it for a few weeks if it took a while to find a rental that would accept animals. they would also consider taking the dog for semi-permanent time too, they like dogs.

- the dog is scared of cats, and i think it would work ok with my cat, i think i will ask if i can bring her home for a trial to see if she gets along with my cat. if its awful and doesn't work, then she can go to the shelter as planned.

Hi Isis,

Sounds like you've thought everything out real well! There is lots of good advice on this thread about keeping costs down too. You might just want to be aware that you may have to budget more than if you didn't have a dog, but it sounds to me like the benefits outweigh the downfalls in your situation. I can only relate to you from my situation which is that I currently won't get a cat because I am saving for traveling and wouldn't know what to do with a pet if I went away for several weeks (catteries are expensive). Don't want to be a downer, just sharing my current circumstances with you ;).

Good luck and I hope to see some photos of [insert name of doggy here] on cb if you go for it!

x

yellowbutterflies

ok... *takes deep breath*.... there was some kind of mix up (no idea how) and another lady took the puppy. Earlier today i was shocked, because up until that point i had not been told of anyone else. I also had told her that i'd go ahead with it and that seemed to be ok yesterday..

I have had a bad day, i am tired, and then i had been looking forward to having this lovely girl and she's gone. I just want to cry... a lot.

I don't know what to do. I made up my mind that it was a good idea. I guess i will keep my eye out for any other pets that need rescuing. It is disappointing when you feel such a connection with such a lovely dog and then she's gone.

Oh well. hopefully she will have a lovely new home and lots of attention.

I'll ... be ok i guess.

ok... *takes deep breath*.... there was some kind of mix up (no idea how) and another lady took the puppy. Earlier today i was shocked, because up until that point i had not been told of anyone else. I also had told her that i'd go ahead with it and that seemed to be ok yesterday..

I have had a bad day, i am tired, and then i had been looking forward to having this lovely girl and she's gone. I just want to cry... a lot.

I don't know what to do. I made up my mind that it was a good idea. I guess i will keep my eye out for any other pets that need rescuing. It is disappointing when you feel such a connection with such a lovely dog and then she's gone.

I'll ... be ok i guess.

Oh no, that sucks big moose. You must be feeling pretty bad about the whole situation, especially when you felt so strongly about the doggie. Hope you don't let yourself get too down about it :/

yellowbutterflies

I'll ... be ok i guess.

im so sorry isis

i hate both,old and new ownercussing.gif

i hope they get eaten by tigs and fleasdevlish.gif

well, it is good that she has a good home to go to. i know my friend would have given her to someone who could take care of her well.

there are many more dogs needing good homes.

i am trying to be positive.. even though its sad.

well, it is good that she has a good home to go to. i know my friend would have given her to someone who could take care of her well.

i am trying to be positive.. even though its sad.

Yeah, I would be completely devastated if it were me; however, it's good to look at the positives. She's in a good home where she will be loved and cared for. She won't be with you, but she'll be happy.

Plus you're right about the other dogs. Just think, now two dogs will be saved instead of one.

*Hug*

Sorry your plan was sideswiped. Congratulations on keeping a positive attitude and for considering another "rescue" dog. As you said, there are a great many dogs needing good homes.

Best wishes, Indigo

isis, go to petfinder.com and there will be hundreds of dogs looking for someone like you.

When we adopted my girl a few weeks before another newborn baby was offered but the adoption did not happen. It was very sad, frustrating and bewildering. But there were countless babies, toddlers, older children who needed homes. Who knows how it happened, but my girl is turning 11 years old next week and I feel deep down in my soul that she was meant to be my child. There is a dog out there who is your new baby too. :-}

I'll add a vote for Petfinder. When I saw a picture of my Finley, I knew he was my dog. And he is! I'm sorry this one didn't work out for you, but I hope you will consider adopting a dog from a shelter or Petfinder. There are so many really nice ones who need homes.

olga

there is a shelter about half an hour away from me that is a no kill shelter, and out in this area where i live a lot of people already have animals or can't afford to have one. i actually got my cat from this shelter and he is beautiful. my friend and i are going to go and have a look today, partly because we are going to offer our time if they need some more volunteers, and partly to see if any dogs feel like moving in with me ;)

i am feeling more positive today, regardless of what happens i am ok.

thankyou so much for all being so supportive. there is a big park right behind my house so if a doggie comes home with me, much fun will be had!

i'll come back later to let you know what happens.

isis.

UPDATE

the lady at the shelter insists that you 'trial' the dog to see if it works at your home, and with your lifestyle. so i first trialled a blue heeler who was very well behaved at the shelter, obedient, friendly. but he jumped my fences and broke his collar and lead and caused a lot of trouble. i thought about it and decided that i would take him back because it isnt fair to keep them tied up so they don't escape. he could run around more at the shelter. I felt very sad and guilty returning him, even though that was what the lady had told me to do in the first place.

i went back yesterday, and there was a quiet black puppy who was very cute, and the shelter owner suggested i take him because he is quiet and that would suit me. So i took him out for a walk and met my friend who brought her (massive) dog too, and they made friends and he is learning fast. So far i've taught him to sit, he comes to me quite fast when i call, he is learning not to bark at everything that moves, and he will sit and wait before crossing the road. Today i took him to another friend's place and introdued him to their dog, and they had fun. Its good for me and him because we both get some socializing. Lots of people have commented how adorable he is. I suspect he's about 4 or 5 months old, although i don't know exactly. The shelter is going to pay for him to be desexed so i'll take him back in a couple of weeks when the vet is ready for him.

His name is Toby and he is incredibly handsome and a real sweetie. He just looks are you with so much love you just cant help melting! Walking with him is really enjoyable and I think i have found a friend forever! I've decided that its not a good idea to let him socialize with my cat yet, but i have a laundry that is only accessible by the outside even though its part of the house. the hot water heater is also in there so its usually not too cold. So i've cleaned it out and put a blanket in there and he slept in there last night, very well behaved and just so enjoyable to spend time with!!

thankyou SO much for all your suggestions and opinions, it helped a lot. I will post a picture when my friend sends them to me - i cant take a picture of him because he tries to lick my face and he moves quickly, and he's got brown eyes and black hair so you can't really see much detail, but my friend has a better camera and when i get them, you'll see how lovely he is ;)

isis.

There are lots of pages on the interwebs dealing with the special difficulties of photographing black dogs.

I expect pictures. You will never regret having pictures of your puppy.

oh yes i know it can be done quite well, my cat back at home with my parents is also all black and we have lots of pictures of him. its more that i cant take the pictures myself because i end up getting just nose or tail.. puppies are fast! but i have friends with cameras and we all share photos, so i promise, photos will come!

isis.

Isis I am so happy for you!

thankyou! ;) i have had such a good two days with Toby. i have been going to bed tired, sleeping well, and being excited about getting up and playing with him. tomorrow i'm going doggy toy shopping! if anyone knows good places to buy doggy toys online please let me know :)

isis.

http://www.planetdog.com/home/

http://www.ruffwear.com/

http://www.jbpet.com/

http://www.otisandclaude.com/content_products.html

http://www.kongcompany.com/worlds_best.html

I forget where you live. I know some of them will ship internationally, and if you are in OZ, stores there might carry some of the products from these sites already.

I thought I was only a cat person. Then i inherited a dog under similar situations. what a lifesaver she is! heres what i think:

1. Food

Recommend Petsmart brand "Authority". It is better quality than science diet, pedigree and other mainstream ones, but it is with petsmart so it is mass produced to end up really cheap. Really good food really small price. cans are only $1 each.

2. Vet

My dog costs as much as my cat at the vet. My cats eat more strange things and actually cost more. If it is a short hair dog it may actually cost a lot less. Rabies shots last 3 years. Flea and Tick shots are the same amount of times a year as a cat. I think they are of equal expense.

3. Live for more years

Yeah, they will. but I think cats last longer.

4. Exercise

Thank god. If i didnt have a dog i would NEVER go for a walk. and folks with MI tend to need walks. I also meet a lot of people and force myself to be more social because of my dog.

5. Rental requirements

yeah this is tricky - but it is more tricky in regards to the SIZE of the dog. check your area to be sure, but I found that there are lots of places that take under x pounds dogs but not over y pounds dogs.

I say go for it. but make sure that you are committed. They get really attached to you to, and when you take a dog, it should be forever.

just a note: i think it is AWESOME how much you have thought it out already. sadly, most people dont even do half that much.