CrazyBoards.org

My 15 (soon to be 16) year old, who is autistic, doesn't communicate a lot, but when he does, you never know what you are going to get. He was muttering movie quotes to himself, like always, when I heard him say something like "Sorry son, your birthday has been cancelled."

Since his birthday is in a couple of days, (and I was in a silly mood) I said "You can't cancel your birthday! I want cake and ice cream!"

Well, he thought this was pretty funny and had a good laugh and then went about his business. Then a few minutes later he comes up to me, looks me in the eye (biggy for him) and says, "I'm sorry mom, Christmas has been cancelled."

I put on the dramatics... "Oh no! I wont get any presents!" and then tickled him demanding he give me back my Christmas. In between tickling and laughing, he proceeded to cancel Halloween, Thanksgiving, and New Years. But for some reason, he refused to cancel 4th of July and my birthday when his brother suggested it.

Oh well, kept us amused for a while ;)

Then a few minutes later he comes up to me, looks me in the eye (biggy for him) and says, "I'm sorry mom, Christmas has been cancelled."

I put on the dramatics... "Oh no! I wont get any presents!" and then tickled him demanding he give me back my Christmas. In between tickling and laughing, he proceeded to cancel Halloween, Thanksgiving, and New Years. But for some reason, he refused to cancel 4th of July and my birthday when his brother suggested it.

Oh well, kept us amused for a while ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i love when son actually looks me in the eyes , or "bumps" into me ( he pushes his body up against my side and says "oops").

your son's joke was priceless!

• 3 weeks later...

Consider yourself lucky, those are the things I pray for.....my  10 y/o step son is deaf on top of being autistic.  And if I could just get one small measure of something from him, I'd probably pee my pants. Everyday I wonder what he's thinking.  I can imagine the joy you probably got from that joke.  Good for you!

• 1 month later...

I'm an Aspie.

Once when I was little, my grandma talked about a job that she quit. I asked why she quit the job.  My grandma said that her boss didn't like her for some reason and "stabbed her in the back."

So, being the literally minded Aspie that I was, I made a face and said, "Ooo, with a knife or a sword?"

I guess this is sophisticated humor.  Obviously, being stabbed in the back would be worse with a sword than with a knife.

Archived