CrazyBoards.org

BP Type 4/Zoloft & Dysphoric Manias (merged)

Guest BOYD

If I was taking Zoloft for 5 months and started to have these uncontrollable shaking anger yelling fits whenever I got into the smallest confrontation. Would this be a big indicator that I was/am BP? I quit the Z on my own after that and went on this euphoric spending spree( new speakers,camcorder,new digital camera etc.) This lasted for awhile. Then soon after I had rebound deppression. Now I'm on Lexapro and very level on all fronts with no BP showing up except I'm feeling euphoric more than usual. I thought this could be because I don't worry about anything. Do all ssri's have a negative impact on BP's ?

You may get more response and knowledge posting this in the BP section BOYD.

I am not sure why there is a lean towards "The Zoloft" test.

I know I didn't do well on Wellbutrin or Lexapro. WB made me rage. Yes my Doc suggested that if I wanted to go back on Paxil and that did not help that he would think I needed an evaluation for possible BP.

Why I can take paxil with no hypomania or dysphoric reactions, I don't know.

The question is, would I be considered BP due to my reaction to WB or would I have to have it on Zoloft? If the Zoloft says yes but the paxil says no, who is right?

Depending on my Doc flavor of the week, who knows what the hell dx I would come out with.

As long as I am well, I don't feel the need to be "tested".

CC~

If I was taking Zoloft for 5 months and started to have these uncontrollable shaking anger yelling fits whenever I got into the smallest confrontation. Would this be a big indicator that I was/am BP? I quit the Z on my own after that and went on this euphoric spending spree( new speakers,camcorder,new digital camera etc.) This lasted for awhile. Then soon after I had rebound deppression. Now I'm on Lexapro and very level on all fronts with no BP showing up except I'm feeling euphoric more than usual. I thought this could be because I don't worry about anything. Do all ssri's have a negative impact on BP's ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Zoloft was a horrible medication for me , I often start shaking and get into yelling fits when in a confontation as well but that was without medication ... Zoloft made me scuicidal , sent me to the extremes of Depression and Mixed States .. sometimes pure Mania .. sometimes total apathy ... I kept telling my doctor it didnt work and they kept rasing the dose until I lost it once or twice and quick the drug cold turkey ... SSRI discontinuation syndrome is NO FUN trust me ...

Recently I was diagnosed with Cyclothymic Disorder with Mixed States and Paranoid Thoughts (in fact it was today lol) , which is more or less Mild rapid cycling Bi-Polar Disorder ... She is also considering upgrading that diagnosis to a type  Bi-Polar Disorder if the medications aren't responsive quickly she put me on.

If medications like Ritalin , Wellbutrin , and other anti-depressants trigger a manic state .. or make you horridly depressed there is an OK chance that you are bi-polar from what I have read ...

Keep in mind though , Bi-Polar/Cyclothymic and such arent the only disorders with mood swings , uncontrollabe shaking and anger ..

I really just suggest going out of your way to read up on conditions and going out of your way to tell your doctor things they might not be asking you.

I'm a lexapro user for about 5 months and just sooo happy lately. My wife asked me why I was in such a good mood! Am I getting this high as a bp4 reaction. I'm not complaining but what do you think. I haven't had any rages or down time. Can you just be on a hypomania high. I feel more intense and thoughtful and talkative.

This really isn't me but "I LIKE IT!". I did have some rages on Zoloft after 5 months then a big spending spree then a depressive spree which is why I'm a Lexapro man. Any thougths or should I just rise with the tide.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The problem with tides is that there are highs and lows. IMHO you are playing with fire.

Allergy meds get me raging all the time. It's very bad. It's like cheap speed from my younger years. I guess the correct terminology is mania. Right now it's a very mellow good mania. Thank's.

no problem!

now that im stable, i can take 1/2 a benadryl.  i still get the teeth grinding and shaky hands; and if i get any worse i have to take a xanax.

I'm a lexapro user for about 5 months and just sooo happy lately. My wife asked me why I was in such a good mood! Am I getting this high as a bp4 reaction. I'm not complaining but what do you think. I haven't had any rages or down time. Can you just be on a hypomania high. I feel more intense and thoughtful and talkative.

This really isn't me but "I LIKE IT!". I did have some rages on Zoloft after 5 months then a big spending spree then a depressive spree which is why I'm a Lexapro man. Any thougths or should I just rise with the tide.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If your Hypomania doesn't go down to lows then it can be very beneficial. Some of the most famous artists , leaders , and otherwise (people like Vincent Van Goh , Winstin Churchhill , Virgnia Wolfe etc.. ) were Hypomania sufferers .. or were thought to be Bi-Polar .. A lot of Artists also abuse drugs like Meth and Coccaine for a Mania like experience ...

However keep in mind though you may be more productive , motivated, horny , happy , and outgoing .. fuck even more social  while your like this ... Keep in mind ..

1. Downs will be harder ...

2. Missing your meds will be harder..

3. The Hypomania may progress into Mania eventually or even Psychotic Mania .. Or you may start to have Mixed States which are fucking horrible trust me ..

4. Vincent Van Goh chopped his own ear off and Virginia Wolfe killed herself in a down.

As much as I love the feeling , sometimes being Hypomanic is just exhaulsting .. It's nice to feel normal and relaxed sometimes.

BTW Zoloft did the same thing to me .. just a lot worse.

Allergy meds get me raging all the time. It's very bad. It's like cheap speed from my younger years. I guess the correct terminology is mania. Right now it's a very mellow good mania. Thank's.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

FWIW, any kind of mania can cause brain damage.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ack! don't scare the poor guy ;)

. But isn't the lexapro just doing it's job.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is a hard question. The role of SSRIs is to lift you out of depression not make you feel euphoric. Which is why I would be weary. I have helped a family member with SSRI destabilization and it was not pretty.

hi again boyd ;)

not from personal experience but from friends and family - anti depressants are supposed to help with the depression, not create any sort of euphoric experience.

sounds like hypomania to me, but im not a doctor.  your doc should be monitoring your for a little while and make their own assumptions.

are you working with a GP or PDOC?

well... in THAT aspect - it sounds like a completely different kind of high.  those are the things i longed for when i was stuck in severe depression.  i was an avid snowmobiler; the only thing i actually lived for, and i didnt even have the drive for that. sounds like youre actually enjoying yourself, not a hypomanic state.

if youre actually able to enjoy yourself and go out and do the things you love, it seems that the medication is helping and youre allowing yourself to do the things that you WANT to do.

i dunno, thats just my opinion - there are all sorts of different symptoms for 'hypomania'.

just keep track of your moods, and keep your doc in the loop.

xoxox

ash

Zoloft surely did have a negative impact on me when I took it especially when it was mixed with Geodon. I used Topamax as my only mood stabilizer at the time 1.5 years ago. 

The following reaction occured:

"Black Mania Here I Come!!!" ;)

Basically, after 4 weeks of being on Zoloft, the drug really kicked in. I got really agitated and irritated, and stuff. I felt like going off on people. For example, I had my car in the shop getting some repairs done. Well, the mechanics were taking longer than intended. I got mad and felt like going to the shop to raise hell with them. Also, on Zoloft, I acted like a smart ass around others. And. one night at a church service, I felt dysphoria coming on. Overall, I had a dysphoric manic reaction on Zoloft. First we lowered the dose and then we stopped the drug cold turkey. I had a bad withdrawal and had gotten emotionally unstable for about a week due to this.

FWIW, any kind of mania can cause brain damage.

So how would I know if it's mild mania or just the lexapro working? I guess the point of the SSRI is to make you feel better and better about yourself.

If I started raging or feeling "pumped up" then I'll check in with my GP or move on to a PDOC. But you seem to think that I'm at risk of brain damage with a mild high feeling. That's scary. It's like being told you have cancer.

Sorry to be scary, but if you are bi-polar, you really do need to treat it as seriously as if you had cancer.  Each time you get manic, it increases the likelihood and severity of future manias.  It might not be much of a problem now, but if you let it go untreated you could end up with a big problem that ruins your life for good.

Archived