CrazyBoards.org

Hypersensitivities

All my life I've been hypersensitive to loud noises, bright lights, smells, and touch.  I buy my clothes based on what they feel like more than what they look like (well, I make sure I look presentable).  I've been known to leave movie theaters after an abrupt blast of noise from the speakers.  I've gagged at the smell of Parmesan cheese.  I jump completely out of my skin if anyone has the audacity to sit behind me, and if they are chewing gum too....well, I get nauseous and shaky and faint.

My tdoc said this is a symptom of bipolar.  I've never heard this before.  Any of you like this?

I'm with you Waterfall.

My entire life I've been incredibly sensitive to food, especially textures, smell, and color. 

Certain feelings of fabrics against my fingers will send me running and rubbing my hands and jumping.  (My friends all laugh.)

I can only sleep with my ears covered and a certain amount of weight on me in blankets and comforters.  I hate sheets.

Ceiling fans make my skin crawl, and any fan is bothersome, but ceiling fans are the worst, because of the light touch of air.

It gets far worse if I'm stressed.  I've failed tests because someone's hair touched my arm and their pencils were grating in my ears.  This was all before I knew about those damn special accommodations. ;)

I like to say, yes, I'm oversensitive to EVERYTHING, thank you very much.

I wear those squishy foam

earplugs at movies

(if I go at all)

the sound of eating and drinking

could send me postal

And those horrible TV ads

people slopping down fast food

;) parmesan smells like cat shit

peanut butter ugh.

I thought I was wierd about textures

better comfortable

than stylish

It's not the air from ceiling fans

the motion

I get "spinny" inside

Gee,the crazier you get,

the more company you have.

Stasis

I don't know. I'm not bipolar, but share a lot of the sensitivities you mention. Gum chewing noise is intolerable and is one of the few things on this earth that will turn my stomach. Fabric feel is very important to me. Have you ever felt that fake suede cloth with dry hands? Ach, one of the worst.feelings.ever. Pen clicking, the hum of fluorescent lights, the hum of certain security systems in shops, flickering lights. Hair. Yech. People walking too close behind me = total body shiver....

I know there are some people who are just oblivious to everything. Several (non MI) people I know, though, have some pretty intense and peculiar sensitivities.

I wonder if there have been studies about strong sensitivities and various flavors of MI.

I wonder if there have been studies about strong sensitivities and various flavors of MI.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There certainly needs to be...about 2 months ago I wanted to go and tackle a walmart worker on a forklift in walmart because the noises coming from her were making me think of tearing her throat out.

I'm with Stasis...eating and drinking noises - I can't even discuss it.

I'm with Stasis...eating and drinking noises - I can't even discuss it.  It's too disturbing to even think of. 

Thank goodness it's not just me.  I can't STAND it when people slurp, chew with their mouth open, smack their lips......aaaahhhh, I can't talk about it anymore, my skin is starting to crawl.  I'll leave a room if someone is eating like that.

I thought I was just nuts.  Now I know, I'm not.  Or I am.  Or...whatever, you know what I mean!

ohmigodohmigodohmigod, come watch TV in Japan.

Sooooo many damn food shows, and after the food's been prepared, they insist of close-ups of people eating, slurping, rolling stuff around in their mouths, and then--because it's simply too tasty to wait--giving long descriptions of said food while still chewing it.

The other two things that drive me nuts are: weather reports on TV where you can hear the rain splattering on the umbrella that the cameraman is holding. I hafta change the channel or I freak.

The other--is sneezing. I can't explain why (err, because I'm nuts, maybe?) but when some guy on the train sneezes, really loudly and suddenly, I'm literally overcome with rage. Sure it goes away, and I don't act on it, but it just flips a switch or something.

yeep, outted myself as a freak again. damn...

I just wanted to add my 2cents.

I have some of the same sensitivities you have all mentioned and they are not related to my BP.  I have been dx'd with sensory processing disorder.

Many of the things you are describing sound very much like SPD.  My son also has it, as does my daughter.

Seven said when she is manic, she craves things louder, bigger and faster.  This makes so much sense.  I do the same thing.  My need for sensory input changes as my moods do.

http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/index.html

This is a website I really found a lot of things my son and I were diagnosed.

I hope this helps some of you. 

Stephanie

I don't know. I'm not bipolar, but share a lot of the sensitivities you mention. Gum chewing noise is intolerable and is one of the few things on this earth that will turn my stomach.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I absolutly hate the sound of chewing.  It drives me insane!  It seems to be the new 'thing' to do when making commercials.  The cereal commercials with the crunching are the worst!  I won't buy the product just because the commercial grosses me out!  Excessive drinking noises are also gross.  These noises have bothered me ever since I can remember, even as a kid.

Pen clicking, the hum of fluorescent lights, the hum of certain security systems in shops, flickering lights. Hair. Yech. People walking too close behind me = total body shiver....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Someone drumming their fingers incessantly also bugs the shit out of me.  Loud breathing (not the kind after a sprint, but constantely loud breating) bugs me, too.

I also need to sleep with a fan or some sort of background noise going to cover the sound of dh breathing and snoring.  Even growing up, I slept better with a fan going.  I also have to have at least a sheet and blanket covering me and the heavier the coverings, the better. 

I absolutely HATE when people ivade my personal space.  The grocery store checkout line is the worst.  ewww

I know there are some people who are just oblivious to everything.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This would be my husband..... 

I hate my workplace. I constantly have to listen to fluorescent lights, six refrigeration systems, and a loud and squeaky conveyor belt oven, in addition to intermittently running water, traffic, door slamming, and a whole slew of Customer Sounds. Sensory hell for the even-marginally sensitive.

ohmigodohmigodohmigod, come watch TV in Japan.

The other--is sneezing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OMG LILY...yet another thing we can share (oh joy oh bliss)...I HATE HATE HATE people sneezing (sorry people)...last weekend in a gas station while looking for the 0-toire I turned the corner of an aisle and this young punk of a girl sneezed incredibly loud (more than normal) right in my face, without covering her mouth or anything and I YELLED AT HER....YES... and my so (the one who wants me to get off my meds) comes over and yells at me and calls me a rude so and so - *whatever* and I run into the bathroom - sorry but others sneezing makes me want to reach out and punch someone right in the nose so they never do it again!!!

AND................ people in Japan slurping their noodles because mixing air with them makes them taste better?  HOLY SHIT ON A SHITTING BUGGERY STICK!!!!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I never, ever, stepped foot in a noodle house after the first time because of this.  I would rather stand in the middle of the street dodging drivers jumping green lights than go in.  Ahhh now I have to go and shower and scrub my skin with lysol.

I'm there with everything that everyone's said on this one. I was just talking to my husband about it this morning.

The other thing that drives me up a wall is whistling or humming. I can't stand those.

Today we were in a restaurant and there was a guy with a flourescent yellow trucker cap kind of hat (which bothers me on so many levels of fashion, society, culture, etc.) with a big fuzzy rip on the top of it. My husband was actually worried I was going to physically attack the guy because his hat offended my senses so much.

Anyway... yes, I'm BP and I freak out about all sorts of sensory overload stuff. For me it's also related (I think) to my problems with hallucinations. Like I have enough shit going on in my head that might fuck with me, I don't need some bright yellow hat wearing asshole whistling until his food arrives for him to chew loudly to mess with me, too!

jen

Guest Llamanator

Televisions. Anything containing a cathode ray tube. They make me want to smash things.

I would walk around the room after computer class (around 9 years ago, one-piece computers, separate monitor switches) and turn off the monitors the other kids forgot. I could pinpoint them from across the room. It scared the computer instructor at the time. Indentifying rooms that have TVs on without video/sound input without being able to see the TV. Knowing there's a TV in a store on before being able to see it.

Anything of a similar frequency. Like AC to DC power conversion boxes.

Then there are broad expanses of bright offensive colors. Or just bright colors, at the wrong times. Like getting an anxiety attack at Younkers because of their Juniors' section while waiting to pay my mom's bill because all the colors closed in at once. Or the nearby laundromat we used to use for washing things like sleeping bags. They painted it nearly fluorescent yellow. I refuse to go in there. Then all white in the high-security psych ward. With fluorescent lights. They wondered why I wouldn't come out of my unlit room until after lights-out?

Thank goodness I don't usually have tactile *problems.* There are certain feelings that make me happy, though. Palms or fingertips touching something at all times (huzzah for fidget toys!). Fine sand and water are nice. Soft bedding makes for a happy-sleeping-better Mimi.

Yay sensory weirdness...(yes and no. as long as you give me what i want)!

Mimi

Me?  MDD, not BP, but I can totally relate to so many of these posts!  Especially the tactile and sound related sensitivities..... my boyfriend has taken to nicknaming me "the princess and the pea", remember that old fable/fairy tale?

I've always been very sensitive about the water spray from showers.  If it is too sprinkly and light or too jet-like and harsh I'll actually spend most of the time in there crammed in the corner to avoid the annoying feeling of the spray except when absolutely necessary. 

Ugh, and the chewing and slurping usually gets to me too so I was surprised that I could tolerate it enough to eat in ramen shops when I lived in Japan.  Lip smacking on the other hand is something I will literally fume and rage inside about no matter when or where or who it involves!  I remember terrorizing my younger siblings about learning to chew with their mouths closed when they were little because I just couldn't take sitting through a whole meal with messy smacking and chewing noises right next to me.

I have sensory issues as well.  Flourescent lights really bother me.  Anything too

bright offends me.  Certain noises are magnified & close in on me until I doubt my

sanity.  Others seem not to notice certain noises/sights/touches but I notice

everything.  This gets worse when I'm manic and everything blends together and

requires my attention and I end up flipping out.  My biggest problem is with people

who don't respect personal boundaries & seem to gravitate within inches of me.

Okay, I'm BP, and not as sensitive as all that.  I love Parmesan cheese, and peanut butter - even the smells. I don't mind if people chew thier gum, as long as it's not in my ear. Slurping, chewing, all that?  Hey, that's just people eating. As long as it's not obnoxious, I'm okay with it.

Okay, I don't like people standing behind me or too close beside me.  It makes me wanna sock 'em in the stomach - esp if they're doing it on purpose (I have a co worker that loves to do that).   

I think everybody has certain fabrics that they can't stand to wear.  I know I do have to feel clothes before I try them on, but I'm not overly sensitive about it - at least I don't think am. 

All my life I've been hypersensitive to loud noises, bright lights, smells, and touch.  I buy my clothes based on what they feel like more than what they look like (well, I make sure I look presentable).

Yep! Me too. From my best recollection (and the memories of my closest relative), I started showing BP signs at age 7. Although my mom seemed to miss most of it, she did notice the hypersensitivity and asked my dr about it (who wasn't too helpful).

It wasn't until I started working with kids with autism and collaborating with their occupational therapists that I realized that I have sensory integration/processing disorder.

I always sleep with earplugs.

Me too.

WF you are SO not alone. You can see how many of us there really are. Sometimes I wish I lived in a darkened silent bubble. I think I might be able to sleep then.................. B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oooooooh, can I have a darkened, silent bubble too? lol

After reading everyone's posts I can't believe how many sensitivities we all have in common.  I never thought other people had them or to even put them into words.

One I have to add is the sight or feel of anything porous.  urieowaodh;kjavkmn;dt;owaiutalksdjf;alskdjf;alkdsf;laksjd;flak

It makes me crazy just to think about it.  The look or feel of a sponge or those little rubber balls with holes in it.  Just about anything with holes in it really.  And it's 100x worse if it has to do with the human body.

I feel stuff crawling under my skin and get faint at the sight of it.....

Archived