CrazyBoards.org

Benzos for ssri startup and anxiety?

I had big problems with benzos a few years ago. My pdoc says it will inhibit the effect of the lexapro so he wont let me take any. I have terrible anxiety and it makes me suicidal crazy sometimes. Neurontin didnt work and benadryl in high doses slows me down to a zombie. Have any of your pdocs allowed you to use them in the early phases before the med kicked in and did the med kick in while you were on a low dose of benzos??

I had big problems with benzos a few years ago. My pdoc says it will inhibit the effect of the lexapro so he wont let me take any. I have terrible anxiety and it makes me suicidal crazy sometimes. Neurontin didnt work and benadryl in high doses slows me down to a zombie. Have any of your pdocs allowed you to use them in the early phases before the med kicked in and did the med kick in while you were on a low dose of benzos??

I think the key issue here is that you have had a problematic past with benzos.  I assume you are referring to either addiction or abuse?

Most dr's won't prescribe benzos to someone with a troubled history of using them.

I dont think it would be unreasonable to request a small script of something mild like atvian or valium, depending on what you were hooked on before.

The problem is, if you become dependent on benzos again, you could end up in a world of shit.  If you can use them sparingly for the first few weeks on an ssri, which are tough, and then stop using them, you should be fine. 

The only really safe kind of long term use of benzos is intermittant use - eg 2-3 times per week.  Anything else tends to lead to tolerance and dependence for most people.

I've come of xanax cold turkey in the past, and to say the least it was nasty.  I never want to go through that again. I personally have a script for valium but I am trying to do without it completely (6 days straight now) ; before I was about 4 days per week, 15mg/day. 

Archived