CrazyBoards.org

EMDR?

Tomboy

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing)?  I started therapy back up for the first time in years and new therapist seems to think this would be a good technique for me.  I'm googling for more info now, but I thought I'd throw this out here, too. 

I'm willing to give the EMDR a try, I think.  It seems kind of odd, but I probably just don't know enough about it. I have to admit that I was a little disappointed that she quashed my hopes of meds, at least for the time being.  It figures that when I vehemently don't want anything to do with meds, that's all the docs want to give me, but now that I think medication could be useful - nothing. 

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing)?  I started therapy back up for the first time in years and new therapist seems to think this would be a good technique for me.  I'm googling for more info now, but I thought I'd throw this out here, too. 

I'm willing to give the EMDR a try, I think.  It seems kind of odd, but I probably just don't know enough about it. I have to admit that I was a little disappointed that she quashed my hopes of meds, at least for the time being.  It figures that when I vehemently don't want anything to do with meds, that's all the docs want to give me, but now that I think medication could be useful - nothing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

See PTSD board for details.

Note: I have never used it myself.

i did emdr at my first official MI presentation, which was triggered by ptsd. and it was pointless. my therapist said it was because i was too "closed" ie: i was so emotionally anally retentive and had such blank affect that it was useless for me - my problems weren't close enough to the surface to be adressed. i thought it was a big joke at the time though.

i just remembered - that's called alexithymia - hello cutting!

Uh:

I have done EMDR three times and all have been successful. I am about to do it again.

It really really depends on the therapist, and your willingness to participate. I haven't read the whole article VE, but lots of people have been helped by EMDR.

Breeze

Uh:

I have done EMDR three times and all have been successful. I am about to do it again.

It really really depends on the therapist, and your willingness to participate. I haven't read the whole article VE, but lots of people have been helped by EMDR.

Breeze

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ditto here except i did it more times. powerful results for me. i really think i would have given up on life by now, or at least been way more limited than i am now, otherwise.

Archived