CrazyBoards.org

BP Type 4

Guest BOYD

Can you just get that hypomania feeling by itself? Hell I can get that hypomania type of feeling just by listening to Led ZEP on a good system loud. It's like the music get's me into a mania of sorts.

It's not a hypomania feeling; it's just feeling damn good.

DSM criteria for hypomania:

A. A distinct period of persistently elevated, expansive, or irritable mood, lasting throughout at least 4 days, that is clearly different from the usual nondepressed mood.

B. During the period of mood disturbance, three (or more) of the following symptoms have persisted (four if the mood is only irritable) and have been present to a significant degree:

1. inflated self-esteem or grandiosity

2. decreased need for sleep (e.g., feels rested after only 3 hours of sleep)

3. more talkative than usual or pressure to keep talking

4. flight of ideas or subjective experience that thoughts are racing

5. distractibility (i.e., attention too easily drawn to unimportant or irrelevant external stimuli)

6. increase in goal-directed activity (either socially, at work or school, or sexually) or psychomotor agitation

7. excessive involvement in pleasurable activities that have a high potential for painful consequences (e.g., engaging in unrestrained buying sprees, sexual indiscretions, or foolish business investments)

Plus a few more.  Listening to music makes you no more manic, hypo- or otherwise, than does taking a hit off a crack pipe or toking up.

But it's like where do you draw the line between"Sweet Emotion"    and Hypomania.

One lasts thre minutes, the other at leasr four days, for one.  And, Z"Sweet Emotin" doesn;t require medication...whatever the band may have been taking at the time...

Archived