CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Guest LA-G

quitting Pristiq cold turkey - day two. Wish me luck!

Guest LA-G

Hi all,

After much thought, I am quitting Pristiq. Honestly, I cannot get past that doctors don't even know how this stuff works. That and the way the FDA operates. I could be poisoning myself! Also, the weird body pains are just too much. My right arm is in a constant state of "strain" like it's been lifting weights without me! Never felt that before the meds.

The biggest reason, though is the physical dependence on these drugs! I never wanted to be "addicted" to anti-depressants, but isn't that what is happening if you have to "withdraw" when you quit taking them? Sheesh, if I wanted to go through withdrawals, I would have just started taking opiates or something.

Also in hindsight, other than a little boost in the beginning of treatment I am as sad and depressed as ever, only now I have a drug I am dependent on. This is bullsh*t.

I'm off to fight my fights with my own means. Please wish me luck.

LA-G

You are sadly misinformed about addiction. None of us who are taking antidepressants as prescribed by our doctors could be remotely called an addict. I'm taking a medicine for a condition, just as I take my blood pressure pill. Am I an addict because I take that?

It is foolish and foolhardy to go off any medicine without the guidance and support of a doctor. If you are looking for our members to support you in this ill-advised behavior, you've come to the wrong place.

Go be a troll somewhere else.

olga

whenever i read posts about pristiq withdrawal it really worries me. my doctor did not advise about this issue. in fact, when i brought it up he damn near laughed it off... but im hearing again and again about how horrible and difficult the withdrawal is for this specific AD. in any case, i agree with what others have said. its unsafe to stop 'cold turkey' without a plan. also, i disagree with your thoughts on addiction and AD's. maybe you dont like feeling dependent on medication for help? but thats you- and that certainly does not amount to addiction. hope it goes well though, as i sure dont wish harm/pain on for anyone. also, im taking pristiq and it has absolutely done wonders for me. truly. i just hope it continues to do so. and if it does, im fine being 'addicted' for as long as needed… life sure is a hell of a lot nicer feeling the way i do with the help of this medication.

Guest Vapourware

Hmm, what's up with the hostility in this thread? Seems like there was a gross communication error here. I think the BEST advice to be giving the OP is that they really should not be going off a drug cold-turkey, without doctor's supervision and what seems to be an ill-thought-out plan for future treatment.

Speaking of coming off Pristiq, it's interesting to hear about people's experiences of tapering. When I was being taken off it, I was told to step down from 100mg to 50mg for a week, then stop the drug totally. I felt sick for about two weeks and felt like the world was constantly spinning but that sensation slowly went away.

I had to stop Pristiq cold turkey due to side effects. (And my pdoc did know I was doing this.) I luckily have never had any problems quitting any meds cold turkey, and Pristiq was no exception. However, I'm in the vast minority.

Like Olga mentioned, you're misinformed about addiction. However, that doesn't mean it's safe, easy, or comfortable to just stop a medication cold turkey. Be careful. Take care of yourself.

Wow.

I am a bit offput by all the negativism in regards to my original post. I am in fact, a "member" of this board, I just managed to NOT notice I wasn't logged in when I posted.

Olga, I am sorry if I touched some sort of sore spot with you. Not my intent, but I don't think I should apologize for anything if you are just going to hurl insults at me.

Feel free to go to the intro section and read about my backstory.

I only use the term addict, because I don't know what else to call something if you have to FREAKING WITHDRAW FROM SOMETHING. People who quit smoking cigarettes go through withdrawals, as with opiates, Cocaine and heavy alcoholism. They are all considered addicts, or SO I'M TOLD.

Anyway, I was taking 50 mg of Pristiq and I knew that there were no smaller doses. And as many point out, the half-life of the med is so short that even skipping a day gives you the brain zaps. So, in my apparently messed up opinion going down to one every other day is only spreading out the withdrawal symptom. I figure if I am going to feel this way, I might as well feel it all at once and be done with it.

It really hurt my feelings to think that someone somehow thinks I am indicting any of you for anything.

It is just MY OPINION that maybe in MY CASE that whatever is wrong with me, the Pristiq isn't helping and at this point, I don't want to keep switching to something else only to have the same stuff happen. And from what I've been reading, I was duped into Pristiq anyway. My doc never mentioned withdrawal symptoms at all. In fact, she said that it's such the latest and greatest, you don't have to taper down or anything.

Since this seems far from the truth and that coupled with the fact that Pristiq is "thought to work by..." according to the literature from the manufacturer doesn't give me much faith in it. That and the whole "Pristiq was marketed because Effexor is going generic" thing just made me wonder what the hell am I buying into?

I actually hoped that I would get some encouragement here, but boy was I wrong. If I were in fact a troll, I would leave you with something like "Don't freaking choke on your depression cocktail's, assholes." But I am not. In fact, I wish you all well.

It's just that for me in my situation here and now, I think the meds have been making me complacent in my life and making time fly by way too much (as in: wow, it's June and it was just March. What happened?) and as I struggle to turn stuff around I just thought that my meds were hurting me as much as they were possibly helping, that's all. I don't have much ambition or drive and I want it back.

LA-G

And yes, to the few people who could tell that I don't have some "agenda" and aren't offended by my lack of a better word for "addict," I respect that you let me know my plan is foolhardy and the useful info that some gave concerning their own withdrawal from Pristiq or Effexor and thank you for you honesty.

Another story I never mentioned is how I even got on Pristiq in the first place. I told my doc that I didn't think the Celexa was doing it for me anymore and she basically went to her office and grabbed about 20 sample boxes and basically said "here, try these." I am not indicting any of you, but maybe my doc! WTF! Did a Pharma rep just leave her office 20 minutes before I got there? THAT is what I am railing against, if you call that an agenda. My doctor prescribing me something that she didn't know anything about.

Sorry to ruffle so many feathers. I am talking about ME and MY EXPERIENCE, not yours.

LA-G, I personally was not trying to insult you. In fact, I noted that I did the exact same thing as you. However, I know it's hard for many people to quit meds cold turkey - and in many cases, it can be unsafe. I just want you to take care of yourself because I know tapering off a med can be very difficult and quitting abruptly can be even more uncomfortable. I truly do wish you the best of luck getting off Pristiq since it isn't the right medication for you.

Thanks Daisy, you were in fact positive and helpful. As far as all the other posters who were happy to bash me but are nowhere to be found now, yeah. Just who is a troll here and who isn't?

I've just come off Pristiq after about a six week trial. After starting Pristiq my GP set up a psych eval, suspecting I might actually have BP.

For the first 2-3 weeks the Pristiq seemed to help. Then on top of the side effects, the depression started getting worse. Head-spinning go-hide-in-the-mensroom-for-half-an-hour-each-day worse. I talked it over with my wife and decided to stop the Pristiq and ring my doctor when she returned to work the following week.

In my case it took about three days to start feeling better, and after talking to my GP on the Monday we agreed that I'd see how I go with meds until my evaluation next week. I'm not 100% by any means, but at least this week I can function.

I'm highly ambivalent about ADs. Sometimes they seem to work for me, sometimes they don't, and the side effects shit me to tears. I am not anti-AD, but they are double-edged. I don't know if I simply haven't found the right ones or what.

So I am sympathetic to the OP. There are pros and cons to being on them, and to not being on them, and this varies from person to person and situation to situation. Despite having been trying to deal with depression for 35 years I can't claim to know what I should do for myself, much less anyone else.

I guess all I can say is "be careful". Weigh up the risks and consequences, and make sure you have people around to support you if things go pear-shaped.

LA-G, good luck. Coming off Pristiq was a bear for me, I had zaps for probably 3 months, but I was on it for a year. I hope you have a better time of it than I did (and low-dose Prozac helped me with the worst of the zaps).

Guest D_Man

I know for a fact pristiq wd is painful. if i forget to take my dose in the morning, hell to pay by 2pm. I get severe headaches and I need to lay down, lethargic and just feeling terrible is what happens for me. I'd like to get off of it one day, but it's working for me. taking xanax 2 or 3 times a day also. don't know what that's going to be like when i get off of that. just my 2 cents. good luck

-Doug

Guest hensley258

LA-G, good luck. Coming off Pristiq was a bear for me, I had zaps for probably 3 months, but I was on it for a year. I hope you have a better time of it than I did (and low-dose Prozac helped me with the worst of the zaps).

You speak the truth. I was on 100Mgs a day and I have been thru many AD meds in many years, but Pristiq took the cake when it came to withdrawl.

It was by far the most dirty rat withdrawl any AD has ever given me. Tried to taper as best I could, but with Pristiq a taper doesn't seem to matter.

Sad thing is after 8 months on the drug it never really worked that well. If a person wanted an SNRI I would say go with Effexor XR.

LAG,

Wow, I just did the same thing two weeks ago. 100mg/prestiq. Didn't think I could do it considering my recent life events but feel better now. No depression as before. A good diet and lots of exercise will help. You can do it. Still confused as to why my depression disappeared when I quit cold turkey. Totally not recommended but much happier now.