CrazyBoards.org

Don't feel like an idiot.  You are doing the best that you can - like we all are.

MI brings on many things to many people.  Chemistry can trick us into thinking anything - and it's your brain...giving your body it's own chemical signals...and what would be the normal thing to happen?  You would believe your own body's signals.  Of course you would.  I'm just a preschool teacher with a music education degree - so I may (and probably am) just talking out of my butt - but I've been screwed up long enough to know that I've made myself think, believe and do things that make noooooooo bloody sense now, but I wouldn't have given you the time of day to talk to me then though.

No, you haven't proven that you are an idiot.

You have proven that you belong here with us.

{Even now I'm sitting here trying to defend myself in mind by thinking, "hey, anything's possible.  Maybe I was right."}

omg, one of my ace cards is the heisenberg principle which eventually leads to the possibility that anything can happen including walking through walls. if all else fails, science proves that infinitesmal possibility of me being right exists. looney right? yeah. i had/have all sorts of arguments and justifications for why i'm reasonable & admirable for making bold forays into thought no sane/normal person would make. mostly, ultimately, i'm self-corrective and come to brilliant conclusions that are all the better for having trekked into outer space and come back.

you eventually did modify your views. think of yourself as an explorer. how would knowledge progress without our mavericks? and knowing how wild-eyed i can get, i deliberately stop myself from doing the slow walk/swivel/run on others until i'm absolutely sure they're irredeemably lost to all reason.

(dx: bp, rx: lithium, lamictal, prn seroquel & inderal)

At first I was, because I thought that everyone knew about all of my delusions, even the ones I didn't tell anyone about. I feel most embarassed by the grandiose delusions, because usually I don't think that highly of myself. 

At first I was, because I thought that everyone knew about all of my delusions, even the ones I didn't tell anyone about. I feel most embarassed by the grandiose delusions, because usually I don't think that highly of myself.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My sense of unreality and belief in infinite possibilities gets me straight A's in philosophy.  In the philo department they think I'm just gifted.  Nobody knows that it is, to a great extent, because I have random attacks of craziness.  But it is.

I try to write down my weird dreams and thoughts. I say try because I'm not always in the frame of mind to do it, but I do when I can, sometimes a few days after the initial epiphany.  I don't always know they're weird or what they're useful for until later. 

They don't all become useful, but sometimes I get some great concepts, artwork or stories out of them.  I used to get really terrified when I'd find something I'd written and didn't understand what it meant, or when I'd written it.  Now I try to look at it almost like it's someone else's words, and I'm just applying my own interpretation.

I still get embarrassed by some of the stuff I find.  I try not to focus on that feeling.

Fox   

I get embarrased by my grandiose delusions. It's really uncomfortable telling doctors that the reason I jumped off my roof wasn't because I was suicidal, but because I was ecstatic and wanted to prove to the voices that I could fly. I haven't told anyone about this one delusion I had about being Kurt Cobain's daughter either. Trying to explain your grandiose delusions to people can be embarrasing. I find it really uncomfortable talking about the big government conspiracy, only because it's such a typical schizo thing to believe that. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

When I see all these people writing about their delusions I just want to point out the importance of taking your meds. The ones that the doctor prescribed. If it doesn't work, call the doc and ask for something that works. Maybe I seem like an idiot for saying this, but if you have an effective treatment with medications the delusions will disappear. At least, you won't get any new delusions and you will be able to explore whether the delusions you believed in were real.

When I see all these people writing about their delusions I just want to point out the importance of taking your meds. The ones that the doctor prescribed. If it doesn't work, call the doc and ask for something that works. Maybe I seem like an idiot for saying this, but if you have an effective treatment with medications the delusions will disappear. At least, you won't get any new delusions and you will be able to explore whether the delusions you believed in were real.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you assuming that delusional people don't take their meds?

Fox

The thing about delusions is that they are real. At least within their own realm. You manifest your reality around you to suit your current belief structure. If you know what you're doing you're a "reality magician." If you don't know what you're doing you're a schizophrenic. Everything in your self created reality is true within its own existence. The masses share a popular delusion called consensual reality. Cults shares delusions that are somewhat less popular than the delusions of the masses. Schizophrenics have delusions that are unique to themselves.

What's really strange is when you meet people who share similiar delusions to your own.

It's so easy to get wrapped up in a world or dimension that is outside of the commonly accepted.

Your reality is not any less valid than theirs. It's just less popular. If everyone else had the same delusions that you did they would no longer be considered delusions.

If you want to function in society that's another issue though. You need to bring your reality backed to the commonly accepted. This often involves medication. 

The thing about delusions is that they are real. At least within their own realm. You manifest your reality around you to suit your current belief structure. If you know what you're doing you're a "reality magician." If you don't know what you're doing you're a schizophrenic. Everything in your self created reality is true within its own existence. The masses share a popular delusion called consensual reality. Cults shares delusions that are somewhat less popular than the delusions of the masses. Schizophrenics have delusions that are unique to themselves.

What's really strange is when you meet people who share similiar delusions to your own.

It's so easy to get wrapped up in a world or dimension that is outside of the commonly accepted.

Your reality is not any less valid than theirs. It's just less popular. If everyone else had the same delusions that you did they would no longer be considered delusions.

If you want to function in society that's another issue though. You need to bring your reality backed to the commonly accepted. This often involves medication. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Believing that your delusions are real, makes it harder to function inside society.

You're playing with the word "delusion". And while they may seem real, they NEVER are. Whether it's just about a bunch of "normal" people who believe in idiotic things, or about people who are suffering from psychotic symptoms. Calling things that normal people believe are untrue a delusion, is something VERY different from what is called "delusional" in a psychiatric context.

"Reality" is something very different from a "delusion".

And I'd encourage anyone who has delusions (in the psychiatric sense) to seek medical help, this usually involves taking an antipsychotic for some time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fox

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, I don't think that delusions are always caused by people not taking their meds.

But it's usually a case of someone not taking the right amount of the right medicine(s). And there may be very few, rare, cases where delusions are not related not  taking any meds.

"Delusions" are real infact their not delusions at all. The real delusions are what they get you to believe by "treatment" and "Medication. It's mindcontrol but by all means if you want to be another drugged out mindless pawn in their games then go right ahead.

"Delusions" are real infact their not delusions at all. The real delusions are what they get you to believe by "treatment" and "Medication. It's mindcontrol but by all means if you want to be another drugged out mindless pawn in their games then go right ahead.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does someone feel like helping this lost soul ? I 'm out.

The thing about delusions is that they are real. At least within their own realm. You manifest your reality around you to suit your current belief structure. If you know what you're doing you're a "reality magician." If you don't know what you're doing you're a schizophrenic. Everything in your self created reality is true within its own existence.

You said it better than I could have...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does someone feel like helping this lost soul ? I 'm out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Basic philosophical concepts.  Social reality is defined by the majority.  Individual reality is defined by individual perceptions and experiences.  My beliefs about the world are created by what has happened to me, and the meaning I assign to it.  Get it?

Slightly more complicated-- reality is an illusion made up of space and time, both of which are illusionary concepts created by the finite mind of a finite being, used to order events in a way that allows the interpreter to understand the connections between them.  Our brains create the illusion of a stream of linear events so we can know what to do next.

David Hume believed that there was no way to actually gain access to reality, because no matter how we try to understand it, it will always be through interpretation.  Contemporary brian/mind science agrees with this concept.  Reality is interpreted in a useful way, so we can navigate the world, by our sensory organs and our brains.  The 'real' doesn't look anything like what we see.  Without our interpretations to define it, there is no color, shape, or meaning to it.  Our brains even create the outlines that define where some things end and other things begin (lateral inhibition).

Add to this these unsolvable questions:  How do we know our experience is the real one?  If you understand the theories I referenced above, then it follows that you can't ever know.  Second, what is it like to be another person?  Again, unsolvable.

If you like, check out Descartes, Hume, Liebniz, Nagel (What is it Like to Be a Bat?), Searle (social reality) and Einstein on these ideas. 

The common belief among psychobiologists is that people with delusions are misinterpreting data.  Their brain struggles to understand real input by giving a false interpretation, or again given the ideas above, input that is different from the norm (norm only means the beliefs of the majority, according to sociologists and scientists, or the 'mean' to use a mathmatical term).

Fox

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fox

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, I don't think that delusions are always caused by people not taking their meds.

But it's usually a case of someone not taking the right amount of the right medicine(s). And there may be very few, rare, cases where delusions are not related not  taking any meds.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How do you know this?  Did you get your information from the media?  Are you a doctor?  A psychiatrist?

The crazyboards specifically state in their terms of use that diagnosing and prescribing are not allowed.  Even if you are a doctor, you are not allowed to do it on this board.

Fox

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fox

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How do you know this?  Did you get your information from the media?  Are you a doctor?  A psychiatrist?

The crazyboards specifically state in their terms of use that diagnosing and prescribing are not allowed.  Even if you are a doctor, you are not allowed to do it on this board.

Fox

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm a bit pissed off. I did not make a diagnosis, nor did I prescribe anything.

How I got the information you mentioned ? I have read many books about psychiatry and schizophrenia, and have read a lot about these issues on the internet. And yes, I check my sources.

It's very basic information. You don't need to be special to know these things.

Btw, where does it say that diagnosing is not allowed ? Am I not allowed to say that if a person who suffers from certain symptoms, there is a good chance he/she has a certain disease ? Or even more blatantly saying that a person probably has a certain disease if the symptoms are very obvious ? If we can't say these things, we can't give people a clue as to what's wrong with them. Often people visit this site to figure out what's wrong with them. If it's something serious the person should visit a doctor, but if we can't even say what we "suspect" what's going on, then many people will not receive the help they need. Because people are often reluctant to visit a psychiatrist.

Can a moderator shed some light on this ? And btw, can we SUGGEST that a person might be helped by taking a certain amount of a certain medication, and adding that the person should visit a doctor for the diagnosis and meds ? I believe many people say these things.

Archived