CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Bribarian

Does OCD ---> Psychosis?

I just started my new job and my OCD has been through the roof, I can't turn it off. I'm constantly nervous about problems I might have, illness, or mental issues.

So far OCD IS THE PROBLEM, and I know it is, but it doesn't stop the obsessions. I just want to go back to being myself, but I can't because I can't stop self-monitoring.

Anyone have issues like this? Did you get through it?

OCD doesn't lead to psychosis unless you also have a psychotic disorder.

You need therapy. A lot of it. That's the only thing that's going to really help. Meds can only do so much.

I realize now after the anxiety, depression, and panic attacks, OCD was the main trigger usually. I'm trying to deal with it the best i can but sometimes it gets so ridiculous. I find myself self-monitoring my own thoughts and emotions for fear of some worse MI.

I also feel extremely paranoid because of it. It's really worn down my emotional state, real sensitive to things, always questioning myself, I hate this.

I'm in therapy and I like the person I'm seeing, but his only answer to dealing with obsessions is to snap a rubberband against my wrist and try to distract myself, which only helps in mild cases. He hasn't offered much else.

Edited by Bribarian

I just got diagnosed with OCD, and was having the same concerns. My anxiety reached such great heights at times that I was concerned I was developing a psychosis. (Okay, okay - I was totally obsessed that my mind was cracking.)

The most likely thing is it's just the OCD talking, making you obsess over the idea of becoming psychotic. Sort of a mental hypochondria. I do this A LOT, to the point where I want to go beg the hospital to lock me up because I'm "clearly" losing my mind (when actually there's nothing really wrong).

Some people with severe anxiety can get delusional or disassociative sypmtoms, which is what was happening with me, and possibly with you. But that's not the same as psychosis.

I'm just starting out on the OCD treatment path, but I'm under the impression that it generally responds very well to CBT-styled therapy. Request a specific type of therapy from your therapist (rather than just regular talk-therapy), or that failing, go to the bookstore and try out an OCD Workbook, or another anxiety/stress type workbook. There are TONS of different skills that can be learned for dealing with stressful symptoms - you've just got to find what's right for you.

(If you like the rubber band thing, try this one: get an ice cube from the freezer and hold it until it melts. I haven't had the chance to try it myself, but it's been strongly recommended to me by people with a lot of different kinds of anxiety disorders.)

I have a psychotic disorder and OCD and I've found that my OCD and my psychosis often blend together. For example, if I have a violent OCD thought about someone without acting on it, later I will have the psychotic delusion that I did act on it. Then I will start my compulsion (checking) to make sure I haven't done anything, all while believing that the newspapers simply didn't report my crime.

As for someone without a psychotic disorder, like yourself, it is unlikely that you will develop full- blown psychosis from OCD. Of course, extreme mental and physical stress can trigger psychotic-like symptoms in almost anyone. Back before my Schizoaffective developed, I was dealing with very severe untreated OCD and I would sometimes hallucinate, but it was entirely situational. It wasn't like I had persistent hallucinations or delusions that would be classify me as "psychotic".

I know you're worried about developing psychosis but just remember that psychosis has a strong genetic component and that even in cases of extreme stress, most psychotic symptoms from anxiety are temporary and can be treated.

Well I believe under enough stress, anyone can have psychotic symptoms, but this is just imo not fact.

OCD is quite unpleasant and what bothers me is how it comes and goes.

The other night I had a thought about gouging my dog's eyes out, it was terrifying to me. I could never do that, but the thought alone was enough to keep me obsessing about it for hours. Made me very anxious.

Woke up the other day worried I was going to spontaneously run someone over or grab a knife and stab someone, like it would be a compulsion I couldn't control. My therapist said that's classic OCD. It's really hard to stop the obsessions, I manage to get away from them at work, but when I'm alone for long enough there's no stopping it.

It's just strange because there are times during the day I feel completely fine and other times I can't get out of my head, I often wonder if the seroquel wears off and has an effect as I only take it at night.

I can do any task and even hold a conversation while having 2-3 things on my mind. That happen to anyone else?

Anyways today I'm feeling pretty good, obsessing about my mental state is always there, but the anxiety is lessened.

Edited by Bribarian

(If you like the rubber band thing, try this one: get an ice cube from the freezer and hold it until it melts. I haven't had the chance to try it myself, but it's been strongly recommended to me by people with a lot of different kinds of anxiety disorders.)

Interesting idea, I'll try that. However the act of doing it will convince me I'm breaking up.