CrazyBoards.org

phobias?

i have a Big phobia of dogs.  its sets the parameters of where i can go and who with.  frankly its a pain in the bum.  it isnt related to an incident in childhood or anything,its more just a fun little fear i developed out of nowhere.

has anyone received effective treatment for phobias?  if so, what?  various members of my family are keen on me trying hypnotherapy but i'm unsure - anyone got any stories on hypnosis?

cheers

I am afraid of flying, but I do it a few times a year because I love traveling and seeing new places. I do talk therapy to try to help and when I get on the plane I take massive amounts of meds to help me get through it. No shame in that. My goal is to one day not take anything at all for an entire flight.

Talk therapy is the absolute best way to overcome phobias - the therapist may suggest confrontation...like slowly getting you to see big dogs or pet them or whatever. I highly recommend getting a therapist.

• 1 month later...

I have emetephobia (fear of vomiting) which sucks when you're having a PA.

-You know if you don't calm yourself down you might just get so overwhelmed from being upset you vomit.

-You already feel tightness in your throat which makes you think you're gonna go and do the deed.

But what I really don't get is this. When I was in school and you get sick more when in k-12, I would get sick, and then I would tell myself "oh that wasn't so bad" and not try to "hold it down" or anything like that and just do it, and then one month later panic because I think I am going to get sick. Go figure that one out.

Dear Lord what is ever going to happen if I get pregnant?

another vote for therapy. in addition to talk and other techniques, my therapist uses EMDR which is usually for PTSD (and pinned in that section) but because i developed specific phobias around my PTSD triggers, it helps me with them too. good luck and aloha.

Hi there

I do not remember much these days so I do not remember what it is called. I thought the therapy was called aversion therapy -  NOT!!!! Its a desensitisation to what you fear.. I was told to do that for my social phobia/agoraphobia . Go out an inch at a time.  My daughter for her arachnaphobia and so on and so forth. My son for his anxiety disorder - boogeymen in the basement .  P.S MY kids all have major MI's -  their bio Mother is psychotic. their father ... well... if you read these boards you'll find out. So I am not sure what you can do but there are ways to get over lots of phobias . and you know what , one day you wake up and you really don't care. It's like BIG DEAL what the heck am I afraid off any way.  If you have been thru stuff like probably most of us here have been thru in our lifetime...WOW

What the heck...You can handle and deal with anything...  Frosty ;)

Archived