MAOIs and OTC drugs?

I have found some great drug guides for MAOIs, so I only have a few quick questions.

Fish Oil -- I can't find any guide that mentions this. Just to be safe, I'm not currently taking it, but I was wondering if anybody knew of any contraindications between the two.

Benadryl -- I am finding conflicting statements. Some guides say you can take it; some guides say you can't. Again, I'm being safe, but my allergies are KILLING ME!

I'll of course ask my pdoc when I go in next, but thought I might be able to find a quick answer here from some experts who have been taking MAOIs much longer than myself.

Fish Oil -- I can't find any guide that mentions this. Just to be safe, I'm not currently taking it, but I was wondering if anybody knew of any contraindications between the two.

Should be no problem. I haven't had trouble with it, and it's just a food product (w/o tyramine for that matter).

Benadryl -- I am finding conflicting statements. Some guides say you can take it; some guides say you can't. Again, I'm being safe, but my allergies are KILLING ME!

YMMV but I had a very nasty day after taking 50mg Benadryl with Emsam. I could barely move, took work to even breathe. Additive CNS depressant effects are no joke. That's the warning you'll get with any medication-interaction checker when you input Parnate + Benadryl. If you do have to go for it, stick with 25mg the first time around and see how you react (and try it on a weekend).

(Yes, even though Parnate and Emsam are 'stimulating' MAOIs, they can make sedatives considerably stronger. This is also why I don't drink on Emsam at all. Too many reports of people getting really coshed/sedated by alcohol.)

You might ask about loratidine (Claritin), since it's non-sedating (i.e. it only antagonizes peripheral H1 receptors), or about fexofenadine (sp? Allegra, whatever). I haven't checked those but if they're non-centrally-acting the interaction might well be avoided.

Archived