CrazyBoards.org

More exercise, less Xanax?

I have been exercising an hour to an hour and a half a day - 5-6 days a week because I have found it does help calm me down.

QUESTION: Has anyone here tapered down on their Xanax a bit while upping their exercise and gotten good results doing that? I am currently on 3 mg of Xanax a day and would prefer to be on less. Without exercise, hower, my anxiety is too high.

So far, WITH exercise (and I do workout vigorously),  I find I need a bit less Xanax and I'd prefer to use less meds, if possible. Just wondered if anyone else has had success doing this? I need to lose weight anyway and so far, I'm down about 10 pounds although I've heard Xanax can slow weight loss. Anyone know about that? .

• 2 weeks later...

Exercise is a large reason why my anxiety is not worsening or debilitating. I think that eating healthy and exercise are extremely important to anyone with anxiety and/or depression. I try to get a half-hour workout in at least 3 times a week and try to be active on the other days.

Well, I've only had benzo's once, but I've been working out for decades. I find an extended aerobic workout (as opposed to strength, sprinting, etc.) is very calming, although if you skip sessions you can get a bit of withdrawal. Also, I think it helps, when feasible, to do something that involves moving around outside, especially in daylight. Helps with depression also. And I'm sure you've noticed you have more energy.

Archived