CrazyBoards.org

yet another xanax addict

i'm at 2 mg xanax four times a day since february (and i still can't sleep). so the new pdoc is shocked at how much i'm on and wants me off asap. i know i'm addicted. i know when it's time to take it. i get the shakes.my body is just so used to it at 9,12,5 and 9 oclock. you all know the feeling. she says i'll have to be hospitalized. is this the case normally on a high dosage with a definite addiction?

and i don't have the insurance to pay for a hospital stay. i've been tdoed once before so i didn't have to pay anything. some generous company that didn't want me to kill myself picked up the bill. can they tdo me for xanax addiction? the pdoc says i have a substance abuse problem. ha!

thanks for any help.

i'm at 2 mg xanax four times a day since february (and i still can't sleep). so the new pdoc is shocked at how much i'm on and wants me off asap. i know i'm addicted. i know when it's time to take it. i get the shakes.my body is just so used to it at 9,12,5 and 9 oclock. you all know the feeling. she says i'll have to be hospitalized. is this the case normally on a high dosage with a definite addiction?

and i don't have the insurance to pay for a hospital stay. i've been tdoed once before so i didn't have to pay anything. some generous company that didn't want me to kill myself picked up the bill. can they tdo me for xanax addiction? the pdoc says i have a substance abuse problem. ha!

thanks for any help.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is the pdoc willing to let you taper off the xanax?  It would be a long process, for certain, but it would save you a trip to the hospital.  Do you still feel anxious while taking xanax?  Are you on other meds, also?  I wish I had better advice for you.

i'm at 2 mg xanax four times a day since february (and i still can't sleep). so the new pdoc is shocked at how much i'm on. (...) the pdoc says i have a substance abuse problem. ha! (...)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

8mg of xanax a day is hardcore.  No wonder the doc freaked out.  This benzo is one of the most addictive if not the most addictive.  So you have a very serious substance abuse problem.  You don't have to be a street drug junkie to have such a problem.  I think you have to taper of the Xanax with the help of a professional and yes, do it ASAP.  I had to detox from massive doses of clonazepam a few years ago back when I was a benzo junkie and I couldn't do it alone.

Benzos have their place in psychiatry and can be very useful.  But their potential for addiction is their biggest drawback.  If you use benzos, dosage must be controlled very closely - lowest effective dose is best policy and if that can be 0.0mg, its even better.

PBF

Archived