CrazyBoards.org

Quitting weed when you live in weedland

Hello,

I live in Quebec (Canada) and I'm stuck with this goddamn marijuana habit I can't kick.  I've been smoking for 10 years.  Where I live, many people smoke pot, marijuana is as common as beer.  It is local, top quality and very cheap.  So wherever I go, chances are there will be pot.

I am sick of THC, I just want to be straight.  Well, as straight as straight gets with all the pills I ingest on a daily basis....  But its hard.  I just don't know where to start.  I've tried NA, but it wasn't that great - didn't quite fit in.  I managed to reduce my intake to a light amount, but this isn't good enough.

Anyone have success with something for quitting marijuana?  Any meds that were of special help?

Thanx

PBF

hey,

i had the same problem when i went to a university. all my friends smoked and i wanted to stop so i could focus on my studies. couldn't do it. even when i didn't have the money to buy it, my friends would call me for me to come over and smoke. it was annoying at times. i always told myself, i'll smoke today, but not tomorrow. it never worked. i stopped cold turkey when i moved in back with my mom. now i attend a local school and have no hook ups. so the problem worked itself out. i don't know how to address your question for your situation. but, all i can say is, one day at a time my friend. good luck. matt

i'm sorry i can't help you quit but maybe we could help each other. i've been smoking for two years straight everyday and its becoming a real problem for me. its gotten to the point where i can't function without it and it needs to stop. i'm taking cymbalta 30mgs everyday and still smoking. today tho...i *have* to quit. i cant keep spending my money on this and need to get back to normal. my mind has become so clouded and my life seems so bleak. please help me.

i'm sorry i can't help you quit but maybe we could help each other. i've been smoking for two years straight everyday and its becoming a real problem for me. its gotten to the point where i can't function without it and it needs to stop. i'm taking cymbalta 30mgs everyday and still smoking. today tho...i *have* to quit. i cant keep spending my money on this and need to get back to normal. my mind has become so clouded and my life seems so bleak. please help me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hey,

one of the thing my best friends who quit told me about weed that helped me quit was this. The one big problem that plagues smoking marijuana that it makes it ok to be lazy. then one day, i said, thats not alright. People bullshit how weed isn't a bad drug. well, it isn't as bad as the other narcotics on the streets. but, its still illegal. you have to try to keep your time occupied with something other than smoking. it will be hard at first. all you will think about is smoking. sleeping will be harder and you will have weird dreams about smoking. it happened to me. it was freaky. after 2-3 weeks, you won't look back and if you do, you will say to yourself, "how did i spend all that time and money on stupid weed." trust me. i've been there, done that. i'm still a stoner at heart. but, it at this point in my life, i can't afford to fuck up. good luck. matt

Hello,Rae

I had to just stop

keep the stuff out

of the house

I lived in the

Emerald Triangle

kept huge amounts

around

so it was hard

when the very air

was full of THC

good luck

you gotta do it

I wasted over

half my life(at the time)

never looked back

'course,I shaved a huge beard

cut yards of hair

changed my name(back to my legal one)

got rid of a ton of weapons

and moved

other than that.

it was easy ;)

Stasis

• 3 months later...

I quit by not associating with a lot of my friends who do it on a daily basis. It was hard but I had to do it for myself. It was the only way for me to quit. I was feeling like shit all the time and the weed was helping my depression but fueling my anxiety and paranoia. I smoked for 13 years.

Hello,

I live in Quebec (Canada) and I'm stuck with this goddamn marijuana habit I can't kick.  I've been smoking for 10 years.  Where I live, many people smoke pot, marijuana is as common as beer.  It is local, top quality and very cheap.  So wherever I go, chances are there will be pot.

I am sick of THC, I just want to be straight.  Well, as straight as straight gets with all the pills I ingest on a daily basis....  But its hard.  I just don't know where to start.  I've tried NA, but it wasn't that great - didn't quite fit in.  I managed to reduce my intake to a light amount, but this isn't good enough.

Anyone have success with something for quitting marijuana?  Any meds that were of special help?

Thanx

PBF

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

theres something called rational recovery or something like that that u might like better than NA.  meds are extremely helpful, because using drugs is often a symptom of depressive disorders.  my opinion is that people who say the meds dont work when you are smoking pot are talking out of their asses.  another big part is finding something else to do with your time..

hope that helps

I really hope that all of you with cannabis dependency problems find a way to overcome the evil weed.

For me, the only thing that worked was to hit the proverbial rock bottom where I smoked myself into psychosis. I sincerely hope that it doesnt get that bleak for the rest of you. You can lead a life free of cannabis, I smoked every day straight for four years and couldnt imagine a time when I would be able to live without getting stoned. Now I cant imagine ever wanting to smoke the stuff again. Eventually you will sicken yourself of it, you sound half way there already.

Good luck

the best thing to do is, every time you feel you need to smoke simply put the weed (preferably Sativa) in a baggie and mail it to me.... yeah, that should do it....

I quit by not associating with a lot of my friends who do it on a daily basis. It was hard but I had to do it for myself. It was the only way for me to quit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hate to say it but you may have to consider quitting some associations. Try to tell them straight that you're quitting for health reasons.  If they're your real friends, they'll understand you have to make the best choice for you and they'll try to support you.  My sister couldn't quit until she moved out of town because, like you, they'd call and ask her over to smoke. 

It's easier for me because I never started when I saw how serious her health problems had gotten and the trouble it caused (she was a lot older than me).  I avoided the chronic smokers entirely and walked to another room if it was at a party.  My friends accepted it and the ones that tried to pressure me weren't my friends anyway.  If it was a stranger, they probably didn't notice that I left the room or said "No, thanks" because I just did it as politely as saying no thanks to a cup of coffee.  Some people even said, "more for me" and I can only remember being teased about it once and that was my cousin! 

I also quit drinking for a long while recently during bad health problems - just told my friends that I was on meds and couldn't drink and they were great about it.  Some even started stocking my favorite non-alcoholic drinks.

Good luck to you.

The primary nuerotransmitter action of weed is to increase norepinephrine (or it's reuptake, not sure), among a host of other things (so I've read in a couple of places).

I don't like weed too much, my friends who do laugh because if I have any at all it is such a tiny hit as to be invisible to the naked eye (that much is good to me, actually - but hard to manage to smoke the right amount, so I usually refrain). I did notice, however, that my first day of Strattera (a whopping 10mgs; still a lightweight) I felt like had smoked a whole buncha tha ganja - but the next day the good feelings part stayed while the overly-trippy-ish parts left. Loved it for as long as it worked.

Strattera killed depression in days - less than two hands worth. And helped some with anxiety, too. Like all the good parts of weed with none of the bad.

Weedheads who are thinking they might like to quit (for various reasons - lung health, legality, the sometimes super-lazy trip factor interfering) may want to give that a shot.

pigs

the THC actually hits the anandamide receptors primarily.  it has some indirect effect on norepinephrine-based neurotransmission, but does not directly effect reuptake or alpha/beta adrenergic receptors.  here's a link about this receptor system with some more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anandamide

The primary nuerotransmitter action of weed is to increase norepinephrine (or it's reuptake, not sure), among a host of other things (so I've read in a couple of places).

I don't like weed too much, my friends who do laugh because if I have any at all it is such a tiny hit as to be invisible to the naked eye (that much is good to me, actually - but hard to manage to smoke the right amount, so I usually refrain). I did notice, however, that my first day of Strattera (a whopping 10mgs; still a lightweight) I felt like had smoked a whole buncha tha ganja - but the next day the good feelings part stayed while the overly-trippy-ish parts left. Loved it for as long as it worked.

Strattera killed depression in days - less than two hands worth. And helped some with anxiety, too. Like all the good parts of weed with none of the bad.

Weedheads who are thinking they might like to quit (for various reasons - lung health, legality, the sometimes super-lazy trip factor interfering) may want to give that a shot.

pigs

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

PBF, i totally sympathize with you. i haven't been smoking as long as you, but for about 3 years its been a constant in my life. i'm getting to the point where i know i should quit, but i'm so addicted that this seems an impossibility. i forget who it was, but somebody suggested strattera, if you're trying to quit. i'm thinking about asking my doc about it, just to see what he says. meanwhile, i'm fighting the jones...who would have ever thought you could crave weed like i do right now...

Archived