CrazyBoards.org

Cymbalta and birth control

Hey everyone...i just joined this site and i have soo many questions. first off..i have an anxiety prob that makes me get really sick to my stomach and i throw up. so i used to smoke pot for that and it would make me feel better. but it got to the point where i was becomming addicted to pot and it was eating up all my money. so i went to the doc and now i'm on 30mg of cymbalta(for the severe anxiety n depression that came wit it) and xanex as needed for anxiety. along with promethazine in case i get really sick. i'm supposed to start 60mgs of cymbalta after 2 weeks of 30mgs and i'm on my 8th day of taking. at first the cymbalta made me feel extremely tired and somewhat sick. i stopped smoking the pot at first but then i started again for the sickness. so lately i've been smoking with the cymbalta..which as of today i'm stopping again. so i've been on the BC for about two years now and i was just wondering...will the cymbalta and xanex decrease the effectiveness of the pill? also...does anyone here on cymbalta have AOL instant messanger? i could sure use some support for this...i'm only 18 and so confused because of this. thanks.

-rae

Hey everyone...i just joined this site and i have soo many questions. first off..i have an anxiety prob that makes me get really sick to my stomach and i throw up. so i used to smoke pot for that and it would make me feel better. but it got to the point where i was becomming addicted to pot and it was eating up all my money. so i went to the doc and now i'm on 30mg of cymbalta(for the severe anxiety n depression that came wit it) and xanex as needed for anxiety. along with promethazine in case i get really sick. i'm supposed to start 60mgs of cymbalta after 2 weeks of 30mgs and i'm on my 8th day of taking. at first the cymbalta made me feel extremely tired and somewhat sick. i stopped smoking the pot at first but then i started again for the sickness. so lately i've been smoking with the cymbalta..which as of today i'm stopping again. so i've been on the BC for about two years now and i was just wondering...will the cymbalta and xanex decrease the effectiveness of the pill? also...does anyone here on cymbalta have AOL instant messanger? i could sure use some support for this...i'm only 18 and so confused because of this. thanks.

-rae

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have never, ever, ever, EVER heard of Cymbalta decreasing the effects of birth control. Or Xanax.

That's more of a problem with the anticonvulsants besides Xanax (yes, benzos are anticonvulsants, although I've never heard of anyone using Xanax even as an emergency anticonvulsant).

I'm on cybalta, amongst other things, for chronic anxiety.

While I've personally never had to worry about its effect on birth control due to the fact that I have no ovaries, I read all I can find about a med before I start taking it and have never seen any mention of birth control problems.

Just so you know, the first week to ten days at 60mgs can be kinda rough.  Your anxiety might get worse for a little while before it gets better.  You should be find as long as you've got the xanax though.

Feel free to post here as often as you like as increase your dose.  A lot of us have been through it.

I've got my AIM id listed in my profile but I'm not much of a conversationalist. 

Here are instructions for how to connect to the crazyboards/crazymeds irc chat channel:

http://www.crazyboards.org/index.php?showtopic=282

Archived