CrazyBoards.org

BuSpar and Klonopin

2 weeks ago my pdoc added Buspar to my 225 mg Effexor XR.  My anxiety had been constant.  I was anxious all day, worrying about everything.  I went back to my pdoc yesterday for a checkup, and he gave me Klonopin .25 mg to take every night before bed.  I definetly feel like the Buspar is working, my anxiety has settled, and I don't worry about the stuff I was worrying about so much.  Although, I had a panic attack Monday evening, still am feeling some anxiety, and not sleeping well, so that's the reason for the Klonopin.  My pdoc told me to take the Klonopin every night, and that it would build up in my system and help me.  I thought it was just something to take when needed.  Anyone else take it every night, and does it help?  Also, does anyone take both Buspar and Klonopin (or other benzo)?  What is your opinion on my cocktail? 

Buspar doesn't help everyone, but I personally found it pretty effective.  .25mg of Klonopin doesn't seem like it's enough to build up in your system, unless he's planning on adding more/additional doses later, or you have a history of benzo sensitivity.  Perhaps he's thinking it will just calm your brain down enough to sleep.  My husband takes .5mg BID regularly, with a third dose during the day occasionally as needed.  Taking it morning and night seems to keep him pretty level unless something truly anxiety-provoking comes up.  (Or he has too many sleepless night).

I took Buspar and Ativan, 1mg PRN, for quite awhile together.  Buspar was good for free-floating constant anxiety, Ativan is good for acute situations.  I think your cocktail could be pretty effective.

Archived