CrazyBoards.org

Seeing and hearing things...

I have heard voices and saw things that were not really there while I was depressed, but never before when I was happy or hypomanic or manic or whatever it is that I am right now. 

I feel great, but sometimes I see things...for instance, last night I kept seeing horses running across the street while I was driving home.  I see flashes of light (kind of like lightning) that isn't really there. 

I've also been hearing things, but it isn't like the voices in my head.  I hear things from outside my head.  For instance, it sounds like the TV or radio is on and it isn't.  Or I will think I hear someone talking in another room and no one is home except me.

Will this go away once I get on another mood stabilizer or should I mention it specifically to my doc?  TIA.

You should mention it specifically to your pdoc.

It might go away with a mood stabilizer, but it might also have an impact on which mood stabilizer your doc goes with.

In my case, I tend to have "full-blown" hallucinations when I'm really depressed or really manic. I also have other psychotic symptoms - paranoia, thought transmission, "voices", milder hallucinations and illusions - when I'm more stable. For me, this means the addition of an antipsychotic to my cocktail.

Of course, it's all a big med-go-round and it might take a few drugs or combos to find what exactly works for you... I'm still hanging on to my med-go-round for dear life, hoping the damn thing will come to a stop soon.

Bottom line, though... you gotta mention it if it's going to be treated. (I've learned this the hard way.)

jen

Nah, my husband doesn't drive and there's no public transportation here.  I can generally tell when something isn't real - I mean, horses don't normally run across Interstate 10.  When I first see something like that, it catches me off guard and I might swerve a bit, but after the first time I realize it isn't real....if that makes any sense.

I'm having lots of issues just taking Zoloft and Trazodone without a mood stabilizer.  I spent $300 today, $900 yesterday, and $200 the day before.  I slept 2 hours last night and I am not tired at all.  This is with taking the max dose of Trazodone (300 mg) at "bed time."  I go back to the doc on Monday.  We'll see what happens.

Archived