CrazyBoards.org

adderall and depression

ltlangl2

Is it true that adderall is used to treat depression. I was on WB but made it hard to breath and had to stop!! Felt awesome - no mood swings, nicer, not tired, happy and sex was awesome. I think I had a mild case of allergic reaction. I want to ask my dr about adderall because it makes for weight loss, increased libido (2 kids boy 3 girl add inattentive 8 kills the sex drive!!!) I am undiagnosed ADD (same symptoms as daughter) I don't have psch coverage and don't have the money and I have depression. Can all of this be cured by 1 pill?

Any help would be appreciated. Cuz I want to feel the way I felt on WB (with out the breathing problems).

Oh I was so focused on the WB that every closet in my house is clean  ;) !! I'm usually a very cluttery person.

Thanks

Robin

From what I have heard, Adderall provides only a temporary antidepressant boost. However, I've noticed that I clean more on it. For instance, just for the hell of it, I cleaned the refrigerator evaporator coils and the kitchen floor today, as well as mowing a small patch of grass. Wish that energy transferred to job search. Also, in my case, a fairly unmanageable libido boost, though with time that's somewhat reduced. I'm not sure in my case about the antidepressant effect because I started Prozac first and it worked. If your depression mostly originates from ADD symptoms, maybe the Adderall will help. I'm taking a bit of WB because I'm trying to get rid of near anorgasmia from Prozac.  Have you ever heard the song about the old woman who swallowed a fly? (Hint: she swallowed a spider to catch the fly.....) (Strangely enough, within a minute of writing this a spider suspended itself between me and my computer screen.)

Is it true that adderall is used to treat depression. I was on WB but made it hard to breath and had to stop!! Felt awesome - no mood swings, nicer, not tired, happy and sex was awesome. I think I had a mild case of allergic reaction. I want to ask my dr about adderall because it makes for weight loss, increased libido (2 kids boy 3 girl add inattentive 8 kills the sex drive!!!) I am undiagnosed ADD (same symptoms as daughter) I don't have psch coverage and don't have the money and I have depression. Can all of this be cured by 1 pill?

Any help would be appreciated. Cuz I want to feel the way I felt on WB (with out the breathing problems).

Oh I was so focused on the WB that every closet in my house is clean  :D !! I'm usually a very cluttery person.

Thanks

Robin

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol OK 2 days off of WB I can't cope. I am getting really pissed REALLY REALLY easy. My kids are irritating me, I'm sweating like a pig and i'm ready to freaking explode. OH MY GOD!!!!! I need to get this shit figured out quick!!!!

Is this depression or is it something else. I mean is it normal to get this pissed when depressed or do I have some other freaky thing that I need to research? I just don't know anymore!!!

BTW thanxs for responding.

WB really seemed to even me out!

Robin

hello,

i took adderall for about a year and a half and while it does have it's temporary antidepressant effects, it wears off quick and you get irritable. you get a sort of burned out feeling when it is wearing off. i always felt depressed afterwards and couldn't get anything done after. i took adderall xr 10mg. if you have ADD symptoms from the depression, you should get the depression checked out correctly first. this happened with me. we were only treating the ADD situation and trying to just get me through college and i felt like shit all the time. ups and downs. once your head clears from the depression, life gets easier to live and other tasks don't seem as hard. not trying to seem self-rightous at all. this is what happened to me and your situation seemed familiar to me. i always thought of adderall being a temporary solution to a permanent problem. good luck my friend. matt

Thanks Matt!

I so need to get an appointment with the doctor but from my understanding I have to wait until the WB gets out of my system right? or Wrong? I only took it for nine days and I cant keep feeling like this cuz its going to effect my kids AGAIN!!!! And that I can't do!! I will call the doctor in the morning and see what she thinks. Hopefully I can get in to see her.

I think I will talk to her about and AD and ADD. We will see HMMMM

Thanks

Robin

Hi Robin -

Sorry to hear you're having a rough time.  As you can see in my signature, I'm taking both Wellbutrin and Adderall, as well as some other stuff.  The Adderall is a fairly recent addition and seems to be doing the trick in getting me out of this last not too severe episode of depression.  It especially augments the tricyclic antidepressant Vivactil that I take and chemically affects how Vivactil works.  There are detailed technical explanations available on Crazy Meds and other sites if you want a more exact description as I am no chemist. 

I've been on Wellbutrin for many years, and the Vivactil and Topomax for about three years.  The only trouble I've had with the Adderall is getting the dose timing sorted out so I don't take it too late and end up staying up all night.  It also aggravates the dry mouth I get with Vivactil, but at this point side effects are an expected irritation and better than depression and suicide.  I'm not sure Adderall by itself would stop depression, but I'm no doctor.

I know you said your insurance doesn't cover psych stuff, but it would be really helpful if you could at least get one or two visits with a psychiatrist so you get correctly diagnosed.  Your regular doctor may know someone, and if you call the psychiatrist's office, they can often work with/around the insurance and code their bills so their work is covered.  They are M.D.s as opposed to therapists so have a better chance of getting through the insurance minefield.  The other possibility is some sort of clinic that might have a sliding scale.  It's really worth having an expert diagnosis and a lot of doctors will figure out how to make that happen.  I hope you get things sorted out and start to feel better. 

At one time Adderall was added to my cocktail, the pdoc's explanation was that it could help boost one out of a depression with the addition of other AD meds, and he needed to do something quickly as my depresion was worsening. But I don't think it works very well as a stand alone AD, but that is only my experience. I ended up staying on it for a couple of years for ADD issues. When I had to stop taking it, I swithced pdocs, my brain felt like it stopped working, lost my ability to focus, maintain attention, concentrate. But all those symptms can also be a sign of depression.

When I started Adderall, I found it very easy to get wound up about things. So, it may not be a good place to start given the fact that you are that way already!

I admit no particular knowledge, but I wonder if you just ramped up the WB too fast? What dose did you start with?

I started on 150 SR and I really loved this stuff. My doc prescribed me 75 immediate release but I never went and got the prescription as I was sure that I was having a allergic reaction. I was going to cut it in half and take 37.5 2x a day but got scared. The WB helped me with energy, focus, and  attention. My daughter has 10 mg of Adderall she is Inattentive ADD dx'd 1 1/2 yrs ago she is 8. I have been thinking of stealing 1 or 2 of hers to see if it helps or not! Would that be a horrible thing to do. My doc was going to prescribe me adderall but she wants me to try Cymbalta first. I haven't been able to go pick up the samples yet my 3 year old son's tonsils are so big that it looks like someone shoved a golf ball under his skin. Poor baby!!!

Anyway If you could give me advice on the adderall thing to steal or not to steal from my daughter?

Or should I go pick up the prescription for the WB and try a smaller dose?

Or should I try the cymbalat?

(I know that you guys are not doctors and in no way will I take what you say as medical advice  ;) )

Thanks Robin

OK I realize that it sounds horrible but if it works than I will get the script if it doesn't I didn't waist $40 on a copay. (And there was no need to yell at me  ;) )

I had to get her a script for 20mg today cuz the 10's were not working so techniqly I wouln't be stealing. Well I would be stealing from the toilet  :) !

OK the problem with cymbalta is that it can cause various eye problems (retina detatchment and something else) I have -7.5 prescription and I have to be careful of retina detachement. I am 31 and don't want to go blind. Now I know that that is very rare but I have read some people have had problems with their eyes after taking cymbalta. I only have 1 set of eyes for my whole life and I don't think that it is something that I am willing to gamble with!! Even if it does help my depression. I can't afford to go to the pdoc so I won't go. Not that I don't think that it won't help just that I can't afford it (clothes for my kids or pdoc: I chose clothes).

Anyway I have a script of Wellbutrin IR 75mg at the store that I will go pick up today and see if it will help!

I will keep you all posted and thank you

Robin

Per your initial post, I would really check out the "hard to breath" problem you were having.  I was on Wellbutrin in the past... never read that shortness of breath was a side effect.

I had a "hard to breath" problem about 7 years.  For 3 months, I could only take half breaths.  When it got to be less than that, I had a panic attack and went to the emergency room.  After a thorough exam, the E.R. doc said, "I think it's stress, and there's one way to find out".  He gave me 10 mg of valium and, in about 20 minutes, I took the most glorious first deep breath in months. 

So I'm wondering if the same thing was beginning to happen to you (stress/shortness of breath problem) and it just happened to coincide with your starting WellyB. 

leese

P.S. - I ended up switching to Paxil (since it helps with anxiety and depression), temporarily added Xanax to my pill cocktail, and learned that owning/running a business with your ex-husband for 3 years is reeeeally stoopid. 

So it is the WB that gives me the breathing problem. I have been fine until I take a WB than it starts up. I really think that it is anxiety or panic attacks induced by the WB. Except for the other day I was in the car with Hubby and kids and I got one. I ate some food and felt better ( I didn't have my xanax with me). I need to find a med that will work for me. I really need to my sanity depends on it.

I recall reading that other drugs are sometimes prescribed for the first week or so on Welbutrin to deal with the anxiety. And they make smaller pills, I think, so you could start off with a lower dose. I've noticed an occasional tendency to get more wound up lately, after I guess about 16 days at 100 mg/day.

Not that I don't think that it won't help just that I can't afford it (clothes for my kids or pdoc: I chose clothes).

I know what it's like to have a tight budget, but try to think about this:  If your kids needed to see a pdoc, you'd find the money somehow, or find a pdoc that would work with you on some sort of sliding scale or payment plan, wouldn't you?  I'm going to guess the answer to that question is yes and ask you to consider this:  You have to take of yourself first before you can take good care of your kids. 

It seems like you're going through a lot of trial and error that you could probably eliminate by working with a good pdoc.  You would ultimately probably save money by going to someone that can diagnose you correctly and consider your other health concerns when prescribing medications.  I hope you can find some meds that work for you that don't give you unbearable side effects.

You all should be very happy with me. I lied!!! I do have 100% pdoc coverage (I really didn't lie I just thought I had crappier insurance than I do). I called the ins comp and they approved me for 4 initial visits and I go to my first visit on Thursday at 10 am. For some odd reason when I got off the phone from making the appointment I cried for like 15 minutes. Don't know why just did. Anyway, I will keep you all posted and let you know of my DX.

Thanks for all of your help

Robin

• 1 year later...

wellbutrin is probably a good antidepressant but if you have any sort of anxiety it's probably going to make it worse. Your symptoms definitely sound like anxiety. I would try an ssri(prozac, xoloft), that will help with the depression and anxiety, if your still having adhd symptoms or refractory depression you could add the adderall later. You definitely want to get the anxiety and depression under control first. Just talking from experience.

Archived