CrazyBoards.org

Healthy Body Calculator

http://www.dietitian.com/ibw/ibw.html

I really love this site and wanted to share it with all you wonderful, beautiful (whatever your weight) people.  I posted my nutrition info on my fridge and now that I know exactly what my limits are, I'm finding it easier to stick to a diet.  Hope you find it useful, too! 

Note: Not that I'm presuming that all weight gain can be easily remedied by restricting calories/fat consumption/etc., but sometimes people switch meds after gaining so much and need to find ways to lose it...I thought it might come in handy in those instances. 

Ella: the formula that's used is the one that dietitians use when calculating energy needs for patients, so it's pretty good. I think the weight determination is a little off, though. It says I should weigh 108-132 at 5'4"---I haven't weighed 130 pounds in 10 years! I currently weigh 142 and frankly am pretty darn pleased.

Thanks for posting the link.

Diane B

ps I'm currently enrolled in a master's program in nutrition education.

I've had this conversation with my pdoc a couple of times. I am also 5' 4" and according to the calculations she uses 142 is in within a healthy range for my height, it may be towrds the upper limit but still within normal. When I used the dietitian site it calcualted me as over weight and said that my normal weight could go as low as 107 lbs. When I was at 110lbs. last year due to depression and med side effects I looked awful. Now at 132, I just lost a few pounds after stopping Zyprexa, I still wish some more of my clothes would fit but my pdoc is much happier with my weight.

Any nutritional site can be useful, and it did remind me how badly I need to get out and exercise. Now if I could only find the motivation!

I think that what needs to be taken into account is also frame size.  I've a medium frame size, so therefore my ideal weight would be in the mid-range.  Right now I'm underweight, but it's recommendations were for a 2750 calorie diet.  If I could just get my BMI up to 18 again I'd be happy.

Maddy.

yeah that's true maddy. although short, i have a large frame size. but the stupid thing still tells me i'm fat. but i know that with my build i'd be at the higher end of the recommended weight scale anyway (muscles where i don't need them, like twixt my ears). i've just started tracking my calorie intake today to see what i do take in. i'm eating healthier but i do at least one hour of exercise each day with my heart at about 140-150 so that eats up (hah! no pun) a lot of energy and i need to have a bit more good food to compensate for it or i'll just snack on carbs.

grouse.

I've had this conversation with my pdoc a couple of times. I am also 5' 4" and according to the calculations she uses 142 is in within a healthy range for my height, it may be towrds the upper limit but still within normal. When I used the dietitian site it calcualted me as over weight and said that my normal weight could go as low as 107 lbs.
Don't forget to take frame size into consideration (as Maddy has mentioned).  I have a medium frame, so I focus on the green range's midpoint on the BMI chart as my "ideal".  Which is about 128 lbs. for me (5'5 1/2").  This is actually a really good number...I was at my healthiest when I weighed around 128.  110 lbs. was my lowest, but I had an eating disorder at that time. 

This is the site I always reference:

http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm

That site said I'm "marginally overweight"--they get brownie points from me for tact!  ;)

I have a small frame, so the weight makes a difference. But I can carry alot of muscle mass. I never care what i weigh when i am working out. I generally don't care about my weight but rather go with how my clothes fit.

okay guys my test on ellas site said i was lean but big boned!!!  i just wish it was in length not width they are talkin 'bout !!!i'm only 5'4 n got sorta a body image issue from the site but take inta consideration if you look good in the mirror than fuck all the charts!!! just be happy guys!!! ;)

flutterfly

I generally don't care about my weight but rather go with how my clothes fit.
That is the far more rational approach...weight fluctuates so much depending on all sorts of non-diet related factors, so it's silly to focus on a number. 

...take inta consideration if you look good in the mirror than fuck all the charts!!!

I don't think I've ever been happy with my mirror image, just a little more pleased than usual when I was carrying more lean muscle mass and less fat.  I used to have BDD, though, and thought I looked fat when every rib and vertebrae was sticking out  ;)   I wonder what it would be like to see yourself in a mirror and think "Damn, I look good!"

Archived