CrazyBoards.org

Cycling vs depression

Guest BOYD

Can xanex trigger cycling in a genetic predisposition to BP, which would lead to hypomania then depression. Would I then consider BP as my main concern and would I have to be on alert for BP3 symptoms in the future? I'm confused.

My take on it and it might be totally crapola. when you simply(yeah right) get depressed, that is simple depression. there are several guidelines to determine depression. For me is waking at the same time every night. It is a feeling of worthlessness. A feeling of doom, etc.

'Normal' depressive personalites will eventually return to a 'normal' state either naturally or via medications.

Whereas I am truely BiPolar Type II rapid cycling. If you picture a line as the base being 0 and it goes up to 10 and below to -10, I cycle between postive and the negative. Lamictal is helping me get closer to being at 0 more often. I can go positive to negative in moments. Takes me a lot longer to go negative to positive. I don't need anything to trip either extreams. But there are some triggers that almost guarentee movements.

When I was on paxil,zyprexa, wellbutrin or depakote I found that they helped somewhat in keeping the depressive from going real low, but I seemed to bounce up more every now and then.

So in anwering your query, I think that SSRI can induce a 'rebound' effect occasionally

Hm.  Xanax is no AD, but since it is mood-altering, I guess in theory it can "trigger" cycling or mood change, since that's sorta what it does.  Booze can trigger depression or mania.  So can plenty of other drugs, recreational or otherwise.  So why not good ol' xanax?

I agree that depression is depression.  As far as I can tell by reading the depression and the bipolar boards, true bipolar depression sounds the same as garden variety depression.  The difference with bipolar is that one way or another, you naturally cycle in and out of depression, usually hitting hypomania or mania along the way.  Though I have heard of folks being successfully treated with BP meds who claim to never have had a mania.  I'm not sure how this works, but it may simply be undiagnosed BP masquerading as depression.

Many of us BPs can confuse depression with mixed states, because in mixed states we can get depressive symptoms like suicidality, hopelessness, guilt, etc., along with the high energy of hypomania or mania.  In fact, many folks with BP don't ever experience euphoric mania.  I for one can't ever remember more than a few seconds of exhilaration, followed quickly by days or weeks of panic-stricken mixed state hell, and then by months of crushing depression.

Check out the pinned topics at the top of the board; they're good resources for understanding BP.  But if you really want to know, get thee to a pdoc and confess thy symptoms.  They'll be more interested in symptoms than what you think  you have.

Archived