CrazyBoards.org

Does this fit Bipolar?

I have no clue and will watch the responses, because I have mood swings but they do indeed follow my cycle like a clock.

I don't really understand the differences between PPMD and bipolar. I guess if ones follows your cycle they only associate it as a symptom of your cycle?

Not that I want to be bp. Far from it. I am doing well on an ssri, but it certainly doesn't stop my cycling. I just never dip really low or get really high. It is very disconcerting and uncomfortable though.  I used to know exactly ten days into my cycle I would turn into a freak. Now reaching peri-meno I am having two period a month every other month and not on a schedule. So I am  never sure when Im going to tweak. Ugh.

I too mainly get the "everything is faster in my head" (and fingers) thing. More anxious, irritable and just wanting to scream. The ssri keeps it all  below the surface so no one else but hubby really notices. LOL the poor man.

I suppose after however many years it takes to reach true menopause, and if I still cycle without a period, that would be more of a sign that I do in fact lean to bp?

I research too much also! Can you tell?

CC~

:ninja:   i had a full reply to your post and then the pc flipped out and fucking lost it.  ;)

Okay, i was dx'd BP at 19, 4 years ago.  Amazing i didn't know before though.  Anyway, first i want to make sure i know what you mean by PPMD, bc if you're referring to perimenopausal stuff or pre/post PMS thing, i'll have to force myself from setting fire to the pc. (Please excuse me, i'm a little dysphoric and depressed right now :angry:   :ninja:   :P   :ninja:   :)   :D   :) )

BP in a woman will sometimes follow her cycle; i say sometimes, bc it's different for different women.  For me, my menstrual cycle very much affects my moods.  But it's bc BP is a hormonal/brain disorder.  So anything affecting brain function, hormone flux and such will affect the BP.  You may overreact in odd and frightening ways if something disturbing or good happens.  But the mood swings can also happen suddenly, independent of any reasonable explanation.

My most helpful suggestion is to create a mood chart and document your fluxes.  Show the chart to your counselor regularly and it may help you figure out what's going on.  Trust me, nothing helps your case like documented evidence.

Some links to get you started:

http://www.manicdepressive.org/images/moodchart.pdf

http://www.psychiatry24x7.com/content/back...blank_chart.pdf

Hope that helps.

Chart them moods!!  Be sure to chart your menstrual cycle, including when PMS seems to start and when actual menses.  And do get familiar with the definitions for hypomania and mania (there's a difference), and especially mixed states and dysphoric mania.  It's more like set theory than regular math; it's combinations of symptoms that help with diagnosis.

And although I can get obsessive about research, sometimes research is just a compulsive way for me to exert control.  It's important to realize when you know enough to go on.  You can't diagnose yourself, though you can sure help your pdoc a lot.  But don't be surprised if she makes up her own mind based on how you present--that's her job.  Try to be honest and forthright with her so she really knows what's up with you.

Good luck and chart away!

Yeah I have been charting because it drives me crazy and that is how I know mine is exactly ten days into my cycle.

Ooops PMDD - Pre menstrual Dysphoric Disorder.

I feel borderline hypo before, depressed during, normal for a week, then a mixed irritable state and then back to hypo. My semi-hypo is not sleeping, cleaning house at 1 am, smoking twice as much as usual, not able to sit still. It isn't life disturbing as I say, it is just uncomfortable. Then I know the depression is on its way the next week.

So that was my question, if it does indeed follow the female cycle, is/or can it be bp or is it just hormonal.

CC~

I feel borderline hypo before, depressed during, normal for a week, then a mixed irritable state and then back to hypo. My semi-hypo is not sleeping, cleaning house at 1 am, smoking twice as much as usual, not able to sit still. It isn't life disturbing as I say, it is just uncomfortable. Then I know the depression is on its way the next week.

Just another example of how, er, unique we are.  I get a mild sleepless mixed irritable state sans housecleaning for a week before, "normal" during except that I sleep a lot, and slightly happy-hypo for about two days after.  Oh, and then two weeks later, if I ovulate, I briefly hit a mixed state.

[edited to add:]  I cycle outside that pattern, too; if I'm generally doing well, it's OK, but if I'm cycling down or up all the above characteristics are amplified, along with whatever else is going on.

Thanks NARS.  I guess it is just one more important thing to be aware of and watch for changes.

I really am only concerned as to wanting to be on the best meds, course of action, on top of things so as to not be hit upside the head unaware. I would be upset if 5 more years from now I found out I was some sort of bp all along and could have been doing better. I feel like I am just always managing to be functional. Never doing it well.

If the ssri keeps my brain half sane it is however better than nothing because without it Im a total freak.

CC~

• 2 weeks later...

I am pretty confused about how to distinguish the two (PMDD and bipolar).  For me, ever since I've been diagnosed with and treated for ADHD that had gone undiagnosed my entire life (I'm a 29yo female) I have noticed a *distinct* pattern in changes to my mood/behaviors during the same 7-12 days each month.  During that time, I turn into a basket case.  I can't imagine it could be bipolar though I do think my behaviors/moods during those particular days are very similar to bipolar.  Does that make any sense?  At my worst, I have never been "suicidal", and I have never been hospitalized for psychiatric problems.  I guess I always thought of bipolar as being something that would have to be treated otherwise cause significant problems (like suicidal thoughts or major depression which I've never experienced). 

I was prescribed Zoloft by my psychiatrist a few months ago to help with the anxiety and mood swings and general hopelessness/lack of motivation.  That was a very bad experience.  I felt like the Zoloft negated one of the main benefits of the ADHD meds- controlling my reactivity and impulsiveness.  Because when I was on Zoloft, I was reactive, impulsive, as well as in just a very bad mood.  I wouldn't described it as angry all the time but there was a lack of joy/interest in the world that I've never experienced.  So yeah, I went off the Zoloft.  I'm probably not able to explain just how horrible I felt on the medication, except to say that I didn't think twice before stopping it.  The 7-12 days of PMS (or PMDD I guess would be most accurate) went unnoticed while I was on Zoloft because I think I was just in a general bad state altogether.

My last PMDD episode was really bad and I was just overwhlemed by the anxiety, anger, mood swings, mild-paranoia, mild-depression, all of that.  I nearly made some bad decisions which would have had a negative, permanent impact on my life which is something that really scares me.  The newest medication is Abilify, which scares me because I don't know if that means my doctor thinks I am bipolar and just isn't telling me, or if he has enough experience to know how PMDD resembles bipolar, and that the treatments could be similar?  *Sigh* I don't know.  I have so many different things going on who knows what it really is.  But I just related to your post so I'm going to end it here...

PS... About four years ago I was on Prozac, by itself, for a few months and didn't have the same issues as I had on Zoloft.  At the time my ADHD was undiagnosed/untreated so I dont know how that would have impacted my reaction.  I definitely did not have the same reaction as I had on Zoloft in terms of mood, etc. 

Some docs seem to think that if you have PMDD (and we're not talking just a little crankiness but actual mood changes) that can be a form of BP, and can be treated as such.  Some ADs help with PMDD, but for some it just aggravates the BP symptoms or, like you, extend them to all month because it triggers the BP. 

Check out psycheducation.org; he talks about it, and has links to other diagnostic sites that count PMDD as a "weak" sign that BP may be present.

Have you ever tried either birth control or progesterone therapy?  My menstrual symptoms got worse on depakote, and improved drastically after I started using progesterone cream.  It balances the excess estrogen in my system that drives me particularly crazy.  Just an idea.

Archived