CrazyBoards.org

ncc1701 (crazygirl)

heya

Not sure who reads these intros.

Anyhow, I'm the oldest of 3 (2 girls +one boy).

My mom wanted very much not to be pregnant (considered moving up North to say she was a widow of -- I kid you not -- an "Eskimo" -- and I would be the baby).  Lucky for us my dad thought pregnancy was great so she married him instead.

Grew up Catholic and in the process of becoming a secuilar humanist.

Dxd at 25yo with MDD but now (2005) after two obvious hypomanias, BPII.  Now in marriage counselling and on Lamictal,waiting to see psych.

Apparently Lamictal is helping, hubby no longer wants out ;)

That's my story and I'm stickin to it.

i read these things!!!!

i like star trek too but i'm not sure if i'm a died in the wool trekkie. for example i couldn't name all the episodes where kirk had his fly unzipped or anything like that.

but anyway, hi ncc1701. welcome to the boards. that's great that they have your dx right now. why is it that SO many women get dx'd MDD first and then BPII some years later? i tried for it but my pdoc shot me down. so i'm MDD. wheeee.

i hope your meeting with your psych goes well. welcome!

grouse.

Welcome to the boards.  I am glad you have finally been diagnosed correctly.  I was also dxed with MDD first.  I am glad that you are doing ok on the Lamictal.  I hope it continues to help you.  It is always nice when they give you the right type of med for your condition.

Katie ;)

Thanks for replying.

This board makes me feel less alone.

Working on the Pdoc thing, pending this month but my FP is amazing.

Scifi in general actually helps if I read the right types, like *everything will be ok even if I'm not here to see it" stuff.

--ncc--

• 7 months later...

i'm sorry ncc, i've been so self absorbed in trying to treat myself that i've only been paying most attention to my topics or others of similar....

any way just wanted to say thanks that every now and then when you post on mine you made the day. so i'll make your day. i posted on the post that stinky started about docs, and i think ya might enjoy my rants.

anyway, glad to i-know you (internet-know).

dire

Heya Dire Curves,

Thanks! I like your posts.

I only post about once a week, fairly intensively over a few hours (like today).

You for sure made my day ;)

--ncc--

i'm sorry ncc, i've been so self absorbed in trying to treat myself that i've only been paying most attention to my topics or others of similar....

any way just wanted to say thanks that every now and then when you post on mine you made the day. so i'll make your day. i posted on the post that stinky started about docs, and i think ya might enjoy my rants.

anyway, glad to i-know you (internet-know).

dire

NCC!!!

Is there a doctor in the house???

he he....I KNEW we'd drag you down here to the basement sooner or later! Welcome to our world, and feel free to go down one more floor to the Springer threads.

I'm glad to hear that your meds are working, because I had read elsewhere that things were rocky at home. Did I read that your husband is of Chinese descent, or was that a Cymbalta dream?

I appreciate your input on medical things and I think it is WAY cool to have a doctor here in the nuthouse with us.

By the way, I have this rash I'd like to show you.... ;)

olga

Heya olga,

Heh. Let's have a teleconference about that rash.

In the meantime, here's dermatology:

If it's wet, dry it.

If it's dry, wet it.

Think twice about steroids.

Then use them.

When in doubt, cut it out.

I need some sleep. Quit making new posts everyone ;)

(Edited to add: Yah DH is Chinese although born in Canada. You're still crazy, but not on that point :) )

--ncc--

Dermatology---isn't that the specialty recommended to doctors in medical school because your patients never call in the middle of the night with emergencies and they never die of their skin problems and they never get well?? heh Somebody told me that years ago....

Well, I promise not to ask you about that weird pain in my chest or argue with you about taking statins....because I do that already with my long-suffering Primary Care guy! He's one of the good guys.

olga

• 2 weeks later...

Hey NCC, have you any advice for an injured shoulder? My appointment isnt til the 25th and the numbness when there is no pain (YES PAIN) is getting worse. 8 yrs ago the same shoulder suffered from inflamed rotator cuff. If ya got no ideas lead me in the right direction. and no i don't take pain killers.

Oh, by the way, i liked your joke (inthe "How many of us does it take?" thread); you're right it probably brought the house down where you were.

Heya DC,

Ice, ice, ice, ice is our friend.

Seriously.

I fell asleep with it on when I dislocated my soulder for 12 hours during the blackout.

(you know, the blackout. After SARS II.)

And for weeks after.

Also.

Pendulum exercises --

-- lean over (not how it sounds, you CB dirty minds) and let your arm hang down. Pretend it's a pendulum or elephant's trunk (quiet, VE) or whatever. Now wiggle your hips (whatever, CBers, do your worst) so your arm swings front-back, left-right, circles -- all without using your arm muscles at all.

Do that for like 5 minutes 3x/day until you get better, in addition to anything else you're told to do by *actual* doctors.

And.

Ice ice. (For me the riff for that is "Pressure" -- and pressure is okay as therapy too.)

--ncc--

Heya DC,

Frozen veg are great.

Plus, they melt before you get frostbite, so there's no side effects (except, smelling like peas when you wake up).

Commercial cold packs also melt before you get frostbite.

Seriously. With that or veg, fall asleep with it. Then when you wake up, get another one and fall asleep again.

Have you been to FP/walk-in yet??

--ncc--

Have you been to FP/walk-in yet??

--ncc--

I'm guessing this is a med term i'm unfamiliar with. But to answer i haven't had anyone look at my arm except for my chiropractor and after what she tried it just brought the issue closer to where it is now. So the 25th will be the first time anyone has looked at it since i first injured it in '97

In case ncc doesn't read this immediately, FP means Family Practitioner. Walk-in of course would mean if you could go to a walk-in clinic. If your insurance would cover it, in the States this might be an Urgent Care center. In my experience, insurance should cover; may need to call insurance first to make sure they know and give prior authorization. Urgent Care means not an emergency, but...you do need to see someone. Also, sometimes regular docs will give same day appt if you press the issue enough, but you've no doubt already tried this. ;)

I've had shoulder injuries in the past. I could give you exercises to do to stretch the muscles, but I hesitate to do so. If something is actually torn, the exercises I know could actually make it worse.

I'm sure the pendulum exercises ncc mentions would be okay. What she describes is gentle, and just using gravity. The other exercises I know are much more active.

Hope you feel better soon, Dire Curves.

revlow

Sorry, OT: ncc...when you have a chance, would you please look at my post here: http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index.ph...ndpost&p=154891. About midway down I ask you a Q about MRI/MRA. Thanks!

Heya DC, revlow,

Thanks revlow for translating ;)

(And I finally saw your Q on your thread, dunno how I missed it hon.)

Yeah DC, the pendulum ex's and ice ice ice (did I mention ice???) *should* be okay.

And honey, ***no*** chiropractic. None.

Ice, and anti-inflammatories (ibuprofen, aspirin, etc as long as they're okay with your meds -- ask your pharmacist).

Nobody puts their hands on you except to examine you. And then, only an MD or a physio.

And then, it'll be either something where surgery will be useful, or -- more likely -- ***early active (exercises) physiotherapy.***

Plus, ice.

(I have received *no* free pens from any ice companies. Yet. Know any reps??)

--ncc--

LOL. I can just imagine the beautiful marketing an ice company could do!

Can't remember for which drug it was, but recently while waiting for doc I notice what an amazing job of marketing they'd done. All sorts of items and the designs were great, each interacting so well with the next. Having been involved in marketing in the past, I was impressed by how well they'd pulled it off.

Of course at the same time I was furious. Damn drug companies.

Dire Curves: I'm sure you know, but just to be certain -- do not any of the anti-inflammatories (ibuprofen, aspirin, etc.) at the same time. Bad thing to do. If you change from one to another, I think you need to give it at least 6 hours (or is it 4, ncc? Or???) between the two.

Hope your shoulder feel better soon.

Archived