CrazyBoards.org

adhd inattentive or adhd w/ depression

i am trying to research and figure out if i do, in fact, have adhd (inattentive type) w/ depression or bipolar disorder.

if you have any or all of the diagnoses, can you tell me your most glaring symptoms?  and what meds you take and like?

;) thanks

i am trying to research and figure out if i do, in fact, have adhd (inattentive type) w/ depression or bipolar disorder.

if you have any or all of the diagnoses, can you tell me your most glaring symptoms?  and what meds you take and like?

:D thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm pretty sure I'm NOT bipolar, tho for a while while getting used to some of my meds my pdoc thought maybe I was. My depression tends to come out as lack of motivation, and a LOT of negative thinking, pessimism, etc. Sometimes while starting my meds I'd get giddy and zippy for a while, but I never did anything terribly foolish. Maybe drove just a tad too fast on the interstate, like an extra 5 or 10 mph sometimes, and maybe one or two ill advised moves where I didn't leave quite enough room. But no financial binges or anything, and usually I'd only be giddy for an hour or three. As I've gotten used to the meds this has gone away.

I've always had a tendency to lose and forget things, have had problems sometimes listening to people and not spacing out, got really distracted by TV, etc. The real biggies have been procrastination and lateness.

My depression is pretty much gone and my add is definitely much less of a problem when I take my meds. Least effect on lateness and procrastination.

Wellbutrin is new to me so I can't say what effect I get from that. Taking it to deal with some side effects, maybe.

• 1 month later...

I have inattentive ADHD.  I just filled out a checklist of symptoms in my reply to the ADHD survey in this forum.

You might want to look into dysthymia or cyclothymia if you have depression or bipolarity that isn't very severe.

What sort of symptoms do you have?

Before methyphenidate/rinalin.  I couldn't read my science books/articles for longer than a paragraph.  I'd suddenly be up pacing.  I tune out of conversaitions without realising it.  I can get incredibily focused in things and lose all track of everyting else.  While talking to people my attention gets pulled by things to look at.  I'm just ADD, not ADHD: I may have some hyperactivity but i can't decouple it from BP due to my cycling

Yeah, I'm Bp and cycle several times per day.  I coincide the ritalin dosage with the lows, as ritalin also has AD effects.  I tried dexedrine but it interacted with the lithium and made me hypomanic or mixed or dysphoric cuz i had no energy, no motivation, ground my teeth, blah blah blah.  Bad times.  I'd get the idea that i should stop then i'd stop caring, so it lasted a long time.  I failed that semester.  Start with ritalin and then move to an all day dose, or else go for the non-stimulating strattera.

Just remember that ADD/ADHD symptoms are often a part of mental illnesses.  You may not have ADD/ADHD, just some of the symptoms.  Thus, you may have better luck treating those wth moer appropriate meds.  Let your doctor make the decision.

an update:  (if anyone cares)

seems as though my new pdoc - whom i love - feels i was one of those wrongly diagnosed bipolar (since it's such a trendy dx)

lots of reasons, mostly b/c i've never had manias, i'm just hyperactive.

so.  i have adhd but i also have depresssion & anxiety issues.

anyway.  weird to hang up my bipolar hat for good.  i had just started to be okay with it... 

But at least you don't have that great evil threat hanging over your head of some nasty mania down the road, despite your best efforts at life management and proper medication.  Depression seems like a safer diagnosis, somehow, even though I know it's still quite dangerous in its own right.  I used to always fear that last deep depression from which I would never emerge.  As a bipolar, I now have the future possibilities of suicide or manic life meltdown.  I'm glad you've just had your potential means of self-destruction pared back considerably. 

Main symptoms of bipolar:  cycling.  Getting quite depressed, then snapping into being really super happy "do you have a new boyfriend?  What the hell are you ON?" states of expansive hyperactive wellbeing.  Occasional depressions worthy of capital letters, which could sometimes last months.  One required months of unemployment and school nonattendance.  Pre-diagnosis, I immediately saw myself in this webpage

ADD symptoms:  spacing out all the time.  I nearly always feel like I'm half-asleep.  I drift off into Elsewhere without warning.  It's tremendously difficult to stay in one place mentally.  It doesn't always work.  I miss things.  I lose things.  In conversation, I keep discovering that I'm hearing the sounds the other person is making, but not interpreting the language.  I bump into things quite often.  Drop things because I forget I'm holding them.  I accomplish most things by drifting from task to half-finished task, likely taking longer than I should.  I get lost in things, particularly mirrors.  I get lost, period.  I scare myself as a driver.  I keep getting distracted.  I know it's bad, but I keep getting distracted. 

I don't know if I'm just stupid, or if it's ADD.  Whatever.  Back to writing my essay longhand... my computer keeps crashing every few minutes, and I don't have the necessary software to combine with the hardware at my elbow to repair it just now. 

Just a small point. ADD doesn't have to mean you're sentenced to crash. I haven't hit another car in the last 29 years, tho I did smack into a curb once. (I didn't hit any pets or people either. I only got a B in driver ed (tended to get A's in everything else but French). Scared the teacher a couple of times, too.

I used to say that the voices inside my head were louder than the ones outside. By that I meant that during a conversation I might have two or three other conversational tracks going in my head. Somehow couldn't keep track of all of them, and the real one often suffered. I guess this is very ADDish.

Really nasty problems paying attention in lectures and meetings. Tend to fall asleep in meetings. Once did on first day of new job.

As a bipolar, I now have the future possibilities of suicide or manic life meltdown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hear ya.  I work hard to keep those polars at the far realms of possibility, and try to keep myself a little closer to the middle, where it's calmer.

Some days it's hard, of course

But at least you don't have that great evil threat hanging over your head of some nasty mania down the road, despite your best efforts at life management and proper medication.  Depression seems like a safer diagnosis, somehow, even though I know it's still quite dangerous in its own right.  I used to always fear that last deep depression from which I would never emerge.  As a bipolar, I now have the future possibilities of suicide or manic life meltdown.  I'm glad you've just had your potential means of self-destruction pared back considerably. 

you're so right.  i realize that the prognosis for my entire life just changed.  well.  it didn't <i>really</i>, but my perception of my life prognosis just did.

but it's still weird.  like joining a club, a really elite and dangerous club, and then having my membership revoked because i'm not dangerous or secret enough.  that sounds stupid.  it IS stupid.  and i am really grateful ... it has just really turned my identity upside down for a second.

anyway.  the brain is weird - one day they'll just take a snapshot of our brain and tell us what we "are" (have) without us even having to be great personal historians.  psychiatry is such an infant...

'nuff rambling.  thank you for your input.

Archived