CrazyBoards.org

Adderal XR -- Split Dosages?

Guest shiggadams

Guest shiggadams

I am going to be increasing my dosage of Adderal XR; I'm confused to if one can take a dose in the morning and then later in the day, or are you supposed to take it all in one dose like Wellbutrin XL. In Dr. Amen's Book, I was under the impression that folks take it in split dosages since it wears off in 6 hours or so, but it seems to be varying reports I'm getting. My doc's appt. isn't until next week, if anyone knows, thanks

adam

I am going to be increasing my dosage of Adderal XR; I'm confused to if one can take a dose in the morning and then later in the day, or are you supposed to take it all in one dose like Wellbutrin XL. In Dr. Amen's Book, I was under the impression that folks take it in split dosages since it wears off in 6 hours or so, but it seems to be varying reports I'm getting. My doc's appt. isn't until next week, if anyone knows, thanks

adam

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Adderall XR can be taken both ways.  I think it is far more common to take it all in the morning.  That would be consistent with its promotion of it as a once daily formula.  It is supposed to last for up to 12 hours.  A lot of people use regular Adderal later in the day when it is wearing off.  Taking a second dose of the XR is possible, but it needs to be timed so that you are taking it early enough in order to prevent sleep problems.  I have used it at noontime, but I found that it was more effective to take it all in the morning.  You should talk to your pdoc about it.  Find out what the pdoc wanted you to do.  There are many ways to arrange it to get the best coverage when most needed.

Katie ;)

The XR and standard release is all there is.  There is no such thing as XL unless it's come out in the last couple of months and I somehow missed hearing about it.

The problem with stimulants is that they remain active in your body a lot longer than they are effective for ADD.  If you take it twice a day, you might have trouble getting to sleep at night. It would be a better idea to get some of the sustained release and standard.  Take the sustained release in the AM and then the standard in the late afternoon or early evening.

my pdoc prescribed me adderall xr 10 mg twice a day. the XR is suspose to last up to 12 hours, but it doesn't. usually only 5-6 hours. the problem with taking the second dose is that you may take it later in the day and thus you may have a harder time falling a sleep. try asking your pdoc for the tablets for when you are coming down. that way the crash isn't that bad. good luck. matt

If you are like me, Adderall can make it much easier to fall asleep almost anytime. Even right after taking it, if I want a nap. I wouldn't take more than 5mg at bedtime, tho, and probablty more .ike 2.5mg. Typically I take 15mg in the morning and in the afternoon. The standard type.

Archived