CrazyBoards.org

Alcohol marijuanna and psych meds for bipolar

Reba,

I know two things happend when we went to Vegas for a week and I tried drinking (I'm currently titrating Lamictal, was on 50mg).

1.  Red wine (only thing I drink) half a glass made me feel really sick.

2.  Tried again and got kicked into dysphoric mania for 3-4 hours until it (2 glasses) was out of my system.

Be careful with alcohol.

ncc

I don't know exactly how it works, but lithium works with your bladder. I believe it's how it get rid of it. Anyway, if you drink more it flushes it out of your system.

I'm a non drinker, so I don't have to worry about it now. But before I quit I believe it did effect me.

Pot doesn't effect my meds, but it makes me one lazy piece of shit.

Drinking on my meds makes me feel absolutely terrible so I never drink.  Weed tends to get me hypomanic and worsens my mood swings in the long run.  I don't think its good to smoke when you're BP.  I reduced my pot intake majorly cause it kind of destabilized me when I smoked too much.

PBF

I was taking neurontin

for nerve stuff

I was drinking a lot

as I reached higher doses

alcohol

made me crazy

then sick

finally quit both

still don't drink

(I'm gonna argue with myself)

since the med wasn't for

my head

does it count

like the nortriptiline

that was also for another thing but...

drinking wasn't good there either

was it?

so

as fucked up on meds

as I am now

a bottle of JD

would likely

be bad too

OK

we all agree

booze would

probably not

rotate your tires for you

but would

give you a spin

definatively,Stasis

I don't know exactly how it works, but lithium works with your bladder. I believe it's how it get rid of it. Anyway, if you drink more it flushes it out of your system.
It' metabolized through your kidneys.  As Jerod puts it on the main page, it hits the brain and goes to the kidneys, where it stays until it's flushed out--basically, pissing or sweating.  Which is why if you don't drink enough, you can get lith toxicity.  Lith ain't the only med that goes through the kidneys, but it's an example.

If you drink, though, alcohol will dehydrate you, depriving you of the actual liquid needed to flush--thus adding up to possibly toxic levels.  Badness!

And, other meds are processed through the liver.  Where--duh!--alcohol is metabolized.  Drinking thus puts an extra strain on the liver, affecting how well you metabolize the med, affecting how well it works.  Sorta, for the most part, in a kinda simple layman's term way.

Wanna bet?  It's a fact that tobacco affects meds.  Alcohol does.  Caffeine does.  Foods and drinks do.  Even the time of year can.

Why's weed so spay-eshool?

Best bet: try to stay as clean and sober as possible.  I'm not saying you have to be a monk (Heaven forfend!), but, for the best efficacy and predictability, try to play "Keep-away from the bottle/pot/whatever".

every time i've had a drink, which is very infrequent, i've paid for it with mixed states. now, my meds got changed and the last time i drank (caving in to social pressure at the office), i got high like i was on cocaine and i couldn't breathe. ran for the nearest pharmacy to get an inhaler.

cigarettes sometimes get me high in a bit of a mushroomy kind of way. this might be fun but i'm sure it's killing my brain somehow.

as for weed--just don't like the stuff. blech!

It' metabolized through your kidneys.  As Jerod puts it on the main page, it hits the brain and goes to the kidneys, where it stays until it's flushed out--basically, pissing or sweating.  Which is why if you don't drink enough, you can get lith toxicity.  Lith ain't the only med that goes through the kidneys, but it's an example.

If you drink, though, alcohol will dehydrate you, depriving you of the actual liquid needed to flush--thus adding up to possibly toxic levels.  Badness!

And, other meds are processed through the liver.  Where--duh!--alcohol is metabolized.  Drinking thus puts an extra strain on the liver, affecting how well you metabolize the med, affecting how well it works.  Sorta, for the most part, in a kinda simple layman's term way.

Wanna bet?  It's a fact that tobacco affects meds.  Alcohol does.  Caffeine does.  Foods and drinks do.  Even the time of year can.

Why's weed so spay-eshool?

Best bet: try to stay as clean and sober as possible.  I'm not saying you have to be a monk (Heaven forfend!), but, for the best efficacy and predictability, try to play "Keep-away from the bottle/pot/whatever".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you for being the first person to feel what's inside of me. You should do this for money.

No, I don't drink on my meds.  It's been especially hard this past week, what with it being my first week as a normal-ish first-year university student (though I have thoroughly investigated the back roads of education in years past), and everyone having a party everywhere else with booze galore, but it doesn't seem worthwhile to me. 

Basically, alcohol is a significant destabilizing agent for a lot of people, myself included.  I am taking all these pretty meds in order to make myself stable.  Why the fuck would I want to mess that up?  This relative stability of mine has been hard won.  I'm not about to let a few beers take that away from me. 

I have other reasons, but that's the main one.  I've fought to be stable.  I refuse to piss it away.

I ocasionally drink with meds, but minimally and not often . Any more than 2 drinks gets me too drunk and too miserably hungover for most of the next day. It also messes with sleep. Sip slowly and keep adding ice. I can make a drink last a couple hours. Yes, I admit it. Psych meds have turned me into a total lightweight.

Alcohol was real bad with meds because the meds wouldn't work as well.  At first I thought it was breakthrough cycling, but in fact I'm now sure I was just dampening the meds.

The way I figured it out was by not drinking for a few weeks, then letting myself have just a few drinks for one or two nights.  No wild behavior, no hangover, but I'd be depressed and irritable the following days.

Just a theory.  Either way, I avoid all mind-altering substances except my psychmeds.  I figure my body has enough to deal with.

when i went to a university, i use to take depakote and drink all the time on it. not good. when i mean drinking on it, i mean like 4 days a week. then i started taking lamictal and still drank on that. i use to smoke pot all the time. it doesn't help with the cognitive part of the brain when the meds are taking their fair share too. i look back and realize that i was a mess and could never get a med to work correctly because of all the alcohol i was consuming. i don't drink or smoke pot now and the meds are working. one day at a time. matt

I've read that marijuana is a mood stabilizer, but I don't know how well it mixes with meds.

Mood stabilizer?  It can make some psychotic too.  It can make some manic.  it can do nothing for some.

Ditto alcohol--one could justify that it as a mood stabilizer; I 'spose it could work that way for some.

But I pity the poor soul who tokes up to stabilize their mood.  That's *some* justification for getting high...

Besides, with pot, there's so many different varities, you can't predict what you'll get (say, dosage-wise, to keep it simple) from one joint/bong to the next.  I know how much is in my next lith pill.

Until studies show otherwise (which, of course, ain't happening in this country anytime soon; thank YOU Supreme Court), it's always best to stay clean while medicated.

On the other hand, unless you're someplace really crappy, they do pay for your meds in jail...

I personally don't think that cannibis makes a wise choice as a mood stabilizer. As CNS points out, it's like saying heroin makes a great mood stabilizer. Potent street drugs have that kind of power to command you to feel a certain way NOW, whether you have migraines, a need to party, a broken leg or MI. Fact remains, these are addictive substances that in the long run create physical and/or psychological dependence and PROBLEMS, increased tolerance requiring bigger doses, and long-term deleterious effects on the psychological/physical well-being of the user.

I've read a few of those marijuana threads from way back when. Consistently, everyone tells the same story. Short term

Some used it to treat mania, depression, or both. They stated that it was more effective than conventional drugs, or helped relieve the side effects of those drugs.

Did they try all the conventional drugs?  Doubt it.  Relieve side effects?  Sure, nausea, headaches, stuff like that I can see.  However, I strongly doubt it would relieve hunger cravings or glucose intolerance, common side effects of many of the meds we bp's take.  (Mmmm, a pan of brownies!)

I see lots of excuses to get high.  Like seven said, it can turn and bite you in the ass.

BTW, damn, that's SOME website!  SOMEbody's out to get people high, ain't they?

Really beats me why anyone would justify marijuana smoking to alleviate mood disorders. The paranoia and anxiety of landing in jail is a damn good reason not to do it. Mood disorders are GREATLY provoked by stress.

If it were legal.......that's another matter entirely.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good point.  Maybe they should do study in Holland.

I know for myself, years ago, it did stabilize my mood.  Remember tho, we are talking about a couple puffs once or twice a week, not heavy smoking. 

Archived