CrazyBoards.org

anxiolytic anticonvulsants?

I'm due to see my pdoc on the 14th, and I'm trying to find new meds. I've got bipolar II with ultradian cycling. I also have extremely intense anxiety. Last visit, I asked for something to deal with the anxiety, but he was hesitant to give me a benzo. So I was wondering, has anyone got any recommendations for a mood stabilizer which works on anxiety?

Oh yeah, I've been on depakote. Did not help.

thanks all

I don't think a benzo is going to stop cycling.  Sure, it might numb some symptoms if you take enough of it.  But it's not going to stabilize moods.

I've taken xanax and valium to deal with anxiety when I refused to get an AD or look into other meds.  All it did was help me sleep when things were NOT too bad; it did nothing when I flew into one of my mixed states.  My current pdoc has had me on xanax as a sleep aid.  It wasn't a problem for me, because I took it as prescribed and was paranoid about addiction. 

Anyhow, there's plenty of choices besides depakote.  Surf the threads, and check out crazymeds.us for the menu of today's choices of mood stabilizers.  Go to your pdoc armed with information, remember that side effects differ from patient to patient (read: you won't necessarily get any of them), and let him figure out your medication needs.

I'm due to see my pdoc on the 14th, and I'm trying to find new meds. I've got bipolar II with ultradian cycling. I also have extremely intense anxiety. Last visit, I asked for something to deal with the anxiety, but he was hesitant to give me a benzo. So I was wondering, has anyone got any recommendations for a mood stabilizer which works on anxiety?

Oh yeah, I've been on depakote. Did not help.

thanks all

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My pdoc just put me on Xanax today because Risperdal and Seroquel did nothing but tip me towards my depressed cycles and make me too tired to care to do much. Risperdal is now only to help me sleep.

Xanax is doing wonders for my anxiety but I am noticing a very significant increase in my cycling moods. But the Wellbutrin and Xanax are keeping them from being too severe... The Hypomania I dont mind , nothing negative has come from it aside from insomnia , impatience, and a short temper sometimes. You may want to convince your doctor that you won't abuse the Xanax , I will also warn you I used to do opium a long time ago ... The only things I have ever craved more than that is SSRIs and I'm begining to wonder if Xanax will be the same way, it feels great ... The withdrawl from Benzos is no joke either.

I have heard a lot of good things about Zyprexa for anxiety (not sure what class of med that is) .. and TONS of good things about Lamictal.

I have heard a lot of good things about Zyprexa for anxiety (not sure what class of med that is)

Zyprexa's an antipsychotic. Seroquel is also good for anxiety. Lots of info over on the AP board. I second the Neurontin as a mood stabilizer that's also used for anxiety. For me personally, lithium has been a thing of beauty, all-around.

[ed.] and one more thing: beta-blockers. yeah! they're anti-adrenaline, squash the fight-or-flight. in other words, anxiety. they also quell tremors and akathisia.

I think Topamax has some benefits in anxiety as it agonizes some GABA receptors. I'm on 75mg right now and general physical anxiety has abated some. I took up to 200mg one other time and anxiety was about nonexistent.

For you bipolar type (ultradian), Topamax would be a good bet anyway.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd love to give topamax a shot, but I'm just a little worried he'd assume it was for the possible weight loss and deny me it. But your experience is interesting, and might help ;)

I have heard a lot of good things about Zyprexa for anxiety (not sure what class of med that is)

Zyprexa's an antipsychotic. Seroquel is also good for anxiety. Lots of info over on the AP board. I second the Neurontin as a mood stabilizer that's also used for anxiety. For me personally, lithium has been a thing of beauty, all-around.

[ed.] and one more thing: beta-blockers. yeah! they're anti-adrenaline, squash the fight-or-flight. in other words, anxiety. they also quell tremors and akathisia.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I take gabitril, Ive heard it helps anxiety and panic.

Are risperdal it will help anxiety.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I started zoloft for anxiety last september, and have since worked my way up to 200mg (max dose) and then pdoc decided to add seroquel around, hmm, may 2005? I've had nothing but side effects from it, and it doesn't do shit for anxiety or hypomania for me. I hate the way it makes me numb, so I'm trying to dance away from all APs. He hesitates to use benzos, but the beta blocker idea sounds plausible.

gabitril or neurontin in my experience.  neurontin was better, and shows some promise for rapid cycling (though not too good as a normal "mood stabilizer" for BP1 or BP2).

the other ones i tried (lamictal, trileptal, depakote) didn't do shit for anxiety once i got used to the sedation.

I think Topamax has some benefits in anxiety as it agonizes some GABA receptors. I'm on 75mg right now and general physical anxiety has abated some. I took up to 200mg one other time and anxiety was about nonexistent.

For you bipolar type (ultradian), Topamax would be a good bet anyway.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i would agree too. i take 75 mg of topamax and even though i don't have bad anxiety, i notice in situations in which i should be having anxiety, i don't. it's nice. i also took 200 mg at one point. but i was like a zombie and nothing could touch me, good or bad. good to the OP. matt

Archived