to quit or not to quit-clonazepam

Hi all,

I have been planning to start tapering off of Clonazepam tomorrow. I am currently taking 2mg a day and have been for 6 years.

Here is the taper schedule I have planned:

Wk 1- full 2mg (this was last week ending today)

Wk 2- 1.75mg

wk 3- 1.50mg

wk 4- 1.25mg

wk 5- 1mg. and then keep cutting down .25 mg per week until completely tapered off, i was hoping it would take 9 weeks.

Am I being unrealistic as to how quickly I can taper off of this? I have talked to my doctor and he gave me no real schedule and my pharmacist said my plan "sounded good."

I had not planned on using anything like Valium to taper with, but do plan to ask my dr for a rx for something like valium or xanax or whatever he thinks that i can use only when needed (when i am no longer taking clonazepam).

I know the clonazepam has been very helpful to me along with 5 years of therapy (I no longer attend therapy) and I have remorse about getting off of the medication but my plan is to begin tapering tomorrow.

If anyone has any advice I would be very thankful. I have read a little about people tapering off but it seems most have not taken it as long as I have. Or they take much larger or smaller doses.

Thank you for reading and I look forward to any advice.

Guest Guest_001

This is a big thing you have planned.

2 mg. Not very high, but not low either. 6 years, that's a long time.

There is just no way to predict how you'll react to the withdrawal. It may be easy, or it may be impossible to withdraw in 9 weeks.

Btw, Roche recommends (or recommended) in Klonopin's PI sheet to reduce the dose by 0.125 mg every three days.

Your taper schedule seems realistic. You may want to consider holding a dose steady for two weeks before reducing it again. That way you'd give your body time to adapt, after all, clonazepam has a long half life. Or by doing it as Roche suggests, reducing by 0.125 mg every three days.

You may want to reconsider asking your doctor for a PRN benzo. At least for some time.

It really takes the body time to adjust to a benzo-free state, and taking a benzo too early might initiate a withdrawal syndrome or cause other problems. Some people even suggest that you should never take a benzo again, but that might be too harsh.

For PRN a low dose of Valium might be a good idea. According to the equivalence tables 2 mg clonazepam = 40 mg Valium !, but is for tapering, it doesn't mean therapeutic equivalence.

Xanax is a problem drug. It usually causes more problems than it solves, but it might be right for you.

I've tapered twice myself. The first time was easy, the second time harsh.

While you're withdrawing you might want to avoid caffeine (coffee), alcohol and other sedatives.

If you need something for insomnia you should avoid benzodiazepines and the z-drugs.

If you don't succeed at first, you can try again ;)

Thanks for the reply. I am more concerned with the time I spent on it (6+ years) than the 2mg. I wonder if that will affect the taper time.

I will see how things go. The thing is I really don't have any specific reason to quit and that makes it harder to start tapering off. I just feel like it is time to quit taking Clon and I want to try. It is the only medication I take.

I should have been more specific I meant I plan to talk to my doctor about a different faster acting benzo to be taken as needed after the taper is complete. Or maybe not but right now I am telling myself that would be a smart thing to do.

Anyway, thank you for all the information, it is a lot to take on. I always thought when I decided to stop taking it, it would be no big deal but I feel nervous about getting off of my anxiety medication. Imagine that.

I guess I have been underestimating how hard it would be. I was thinking if I followed a certain taper this is something I could do on my own. I have not seen a psychiatrist in several years. Just my general practioner and therapist.

I am hoping I am better equipped to deal with returning anxiety once I am not taking klonopin. But I am of course not certain what the outcome will be.

When you say how your body will react, what do you mean? Physical symptoms of withdrawal?

Is this usually done under the care of a doctor?

Thanks again.

Guest Guest_001

Thanks for the reply. I am more concerned with the time I spent on it (6+ years) than the 2mg. I wonder if that will affect the taper time.

It's often difficult to withdraw from high doses taken over a long time.

While your dose isn't high, you've taken it for a long time.

So, in advance, there is no way to predict whether it will be easy or difficult.

I will see how things go. The thing is I really don't have any specific reason to quit and that makes it harder to start tapering off. I just feel like it is time to quit taking Clon and I want to try. It is the only medication I take.

I think that's a perfectly valid reason. All drugs ('medications') have unintended side effects. I believe that as a rule, one shouldn't be taking a drug one doesn't need.

Clonazepam is a powerful drug.

I should have been more specific I meant I plan to talk to my doctor about a different faster acting benzo to be taken as needed after the taper is complete. Or maybe not but right now I am telling myself that would be a smart thing to do.

That seems sensible.

Anyway, thank you for all the information, it is a lot to take on. I always thought when I decided to stop taking it, it would be no big deal but I feel nervous about getting off of my anxiety medication. Imagine that.

Not strange at all ! Quite common, actually.

Guest Guest_001

I guess I have been underestimating how hard it would be. I was thinking if I followed a certain taper this is something I could do on my own. I have not seen a psychiatrist in several years. Just my general practioner and therapist.

I am hoping I am better equipped to deal with returning anxiety once I am not taking klonopin. But I am of course not certain what the outcome will be.

When you say how your body will react, what do you mean? Physical symptoms of withdrawal?

Is this usually done under the care of a doctor?

Thanks again.

Clonazepam is a drug that affects the entire body. Usually people make the distinction between mind and body.

However, the brain is an organ (like any other).

One could make the distinction between psychological withdrawal effects, and physical withdrawal effects.

As far as your brain is concerned, there are physical/physiological withdrawal effects, and psychological withdrawal effects ('how you cope'). It's quite possible neither will be difficult, but you just can't know that in advance.

While I don't know you, it seems your problems are less serious than the problems of most people on this board (schizophrenia, bipolar etc.), and you don't take a cocktail of powerful psychotropic drugs (like antipsychotic +SSRI + benzodiazepine). So that should make withdrawal easier.

I don't think you need a psychiatrist for this. Your GP and therapist are probably capable enough to handle this.

The thing is, if you were to do this under the supervision of a psychiatrist, you'd have to find one first. And most probably, the pdoc wouldn't agree to let you start a taper right away. After all, he doesn't know you ! So that would take some time. He'd have to know that you are stable before agreeing with a taper.

Also, for various reasons the pdoc might want to prescribe an antidepressant or an antipsychotic, seeing them as 'protective'. But I don't get the impression that you want to trade one drug for another.

A straight taper for clonazepam can be quite safe.

It is important that you are stable when you start the taper. I wouldn't worry too much about withdrawal effects that may never occur ! All sorts of physical withdrawal effects are possible, like dry mouth, increased or decreased sweating, gastrointestinal issues, migraine, dizzyness, skin issues, spontaneous recollection of events that happened long ago. But at your dose the more serious side effects are unlikely to occcur.

You have the full support of your doctor, right ? Just be prepared for some discomfort. If the taper doesn't work, you can just reinstate the dose. Don't worry too much. Worrying will make things more difficult.

It's possible that you'll experience heightened anxiety during your taper. Do you know how you will deal with your anxiety ? There are some drugs you can take for symptomatic relief. Hydroxyzine, beta-blockers can help with anxiety and can be taken PRN. For insomnia, sedating antihistamines can be used. You probably want to avoid antipsychotics and antidepressants, since you would just trade one drug for another, or worse, add a drug to the clonazepam.

Guest Guest_001

Btw, I just happened to notice that your tapering schedule is close to what is recommended (or was recommended) by Roche, in Klonopin's PI sheet. Klonopin is brand clonazepam.

0.125 mg every three days.

Which is about 0.25 mg a week, like in your schedule.

So it's fair to say that your schedule is realistic.

Thank you all for your responses! I really appreciate it. I don't know anyone irl that has taken a medication as long as I have and that is/was my largest concern. My doctor said since I have not increased my dose (besides initially it was increased from 1mg to 2mg) then I could safely take this drug as long as it is effective. So, that is comforting to know that if I need to take it again it is available. In preparation to start tapering today I have not had any alcohol at all for quite a bit. (I am not an alcoholic I just figured this would be helpful in decreasing any anxiety.) I have switched to a white tea (rather than coffee or even green tea as they both have quite a bit of caffeine). I have no idea what to expect and I know I will not find out today exactly what this will be like. I just hope it is not as hard as I have envisioned. I read all the information provided and am taking all your advice into consideration.

I am prepared for the physical discomfort, but I am more worried about the mental discomfort.

I think that's a perfectly valid reason. All drugs ('medications') have unintended side effects. I believe that as a rule, one shouldn't be taking a drug one doesn't need.

There must be a reason why stella has been on 2mg of clonazepam daily for six years. She hasn't indicated that she doesn't think she has an anxiety disorder, that she has treated it with therapy, or that the drug has any side effects that she can't tolerate any more. Yes, it's a powerful drug, which is why proper medical supervision is needed for both use and discontinuation.

While I don't know you, it seems your problems are less serious than the problems of most people on this board (schizophrenia, bipolar etc.)

This is asinine. You're saying that anxiety disorders aren't as crippling as bipolar disorder, which anybody here can tell you is not true. Please don't downplay other peoples' MI without knowing anything about them.

and you don't take a cocktail of powerful psychotropic drugs (like antipsychotic +SSRI + benzodiazepine). So that should make withdrawal easier.

Why would any other med she happens to be on have anything to do with benzo withdrawal?

I don't think you need a psychiatrist for this. Your GP and therapist are probably capable enough to handle this.

Uhh... no. Therapists are not trained to handle medication management at all, and GPs don't have enough experience with benzos to handle this sort of thing. I will acknowledge that a GP is better than nothing at all, but I strongly advise against doing this without a psychiatrist on board.

The thing is, if you were to do this under the supervision of a psychiatrist, you'd have to find one first. And most probably, the pdoc wouldn't agree to let you start a taper right away. After all, he doesn't know you!

Neither do you, so why do you think it's a good idea for you to advise she start tapering now when a trained psychiatrist would prefer not to? At any rate, I'm sure that a psychiatrist would help her taper off starting from the first visit if that's what she asked for.

So that would take some time. He'd have to know that you are stable before agreeing with a taper.

Which is both medically and morally prudent. See above as to why you think you're morally superior to a pdoc for advising someone to undertake a dangerous medication taper without proper supervision.

Also, for various reasons the pdoc might want to prescribe an antidepressant or an antipsychotic, seeing them as 'protective'. But I don't get the impression that you want to trade one drug for another.

I get the impression that you're projecting, and that you don't know that an AD or an AP might serve her well.

This does not agree with your next paragraph, or with the entire body of medical knowledge.

It is important that you are stable when you start the taper.

But not important enough that she should consult a psychiatrist?

I wouldn't worry too much about withdrawal effects that may never occur!

I can almost guarantee that they will, from 2mg/day of clonazepam for six years. How severe they will be is unpredictable, as you acknowledge yourself, which is why she needs to have a psychiatrist on board.

All sorts of physical withdrawal effects are possible, like dry mouth, increased or decreased sweating, gastrointestinal issues, migraine, dizzyness, skin issues, spontaneous recollection of events that happened long ago. But at your dose the more serious side effects are unlikely to occcur.

2mg of Klonopin is not a small dose. Seizure is always a possibility with any benzo withdrawal. Rebound anxiety is almost certain to occur.

You have the full support of your doctor, right?

You've specifically advised her to avoid proper medical support.

Do you know how you will deal with your anxiety ? There are some drugs you can take for symptomatic relief. Hydroxyzine, beta-blockers can help with anxiety and can be taken PRN. For insomnia, sedating antihistamines can be used. You probably want to avoid antipsychotics and antidepressants, since you would just trade one drug for another, or worse, add a drug to the clonazepam.

Beta blockers are not effective for treatment of anxiety disorders. Hydroxyzine hasn't been proven to be as effective as benzos or SSRIs. I find it rather stupid that you advise her to avoid effective treatment because it would amount to "trading drugs". In fact, you've told the OP to avoid effective treatment at every point in your post, which worries me.

To the OP: I'm not seeing how your rationale for discontinuing the benzo is worth the trouble. If you haven't been working on the underlying cause of the anxiety in therapy or otherwise, and you don't have any effective treatment alternative set up, I don't think it's wise to consider stopping the Klonopin. If you want to stop anyway, I would strongly advise getting a psychiatrist, and taking it slowly.

I went off 3 mgs. a day after 6 years, 2 years ago. It is a BIG DEAL. For me, it was a very big deal. I was fucked for a year. And that's just the physical symptoms, after a huge ass seizure I was put on a taper that last for 3 weeks and it was definitely to fast for my liking, however medically *safe* it was. If you have no other reason to get off them than you want to see if you can handle life without them, get a psychiatrist and taper over 6 mos. to a year if he or she will let you.

There must be a reason why stella has been on 2mg of clonazepam daily for six years. She hasn't indicated that she doesn't think she has an anxiety disorder, that she has treated it with therapy, or that the drug has any side effects that she can't tolerate any more. Yes, it's a powerful drug, which is why proper medical supervision is needed for both use and discontinuation.

I definitely have an anxiety disorder and have dealt with other issues in the past. I have treated it with therapy (5 years of weekly therapy). At the beginning of my treatment they did prescribe a couple of different medications, each one I was unable to tolerate. Until the klonopin, I was not making progress and that is the only medication I have taken in 6 years.

While I don't know you, it seems your problems are less serious than the problems of most people on this board (schizophrenia, bipolar etc.)

This is asinine. You're saying that anxiety disorders aren't as crippling as bipolar disorder, which anybody here can tell you is not true. Please don't downplay other peoples' MI without knowing anything about them.

and you don't take a cocktail of powerful psychotropic drugs (like antipsychotic +SSRI + benzodiazepine). So that should make withdrawal easier.

Why would any other med she happens to be on have anything to do with benzo withdrawal?

I think the only beneficial thing here is that I am only dealing with one medication.

Uhh... no. Therapists are not trained to handle medication management at all, and GPs don't have enough experience with benzos to handle this sort of thing. I will acknowledge that a GP is better than nothing at all, but I strongly advise against doing this without a psychiatrist on board.

The thing is, if you were to do this under the supervision of a psychiatrist, you'd have to find one first. And most probably, the pdoc wouldn't agree to let you start a taper right away. After all, he doesn't know you!

Neither do you, so why do you think it's a good idea for you to advise she start tapering now when a trained psychiatrist would prefer not to? At any rate, I'm sure that a psychiatrist would help her taper off starting from the first visit if that's what she asked for.

So that would take some time. He'd have to know that you are stable before agreeing with a taper.

Which is both medically and morally prudent. See above as to why you think you're morally superior to a pdoc for advising someone to undertake a dangerous medication taper without proper supervision.

I get the impression that you're projecting, and that you don't know that an AD or an AP might serve her well.

This does not agree with your next paragraph, or with the entire body of medical knowledge.

It is important that you are stable when you start the taper.

But not important enough that she should consult a psychiatrist?

I wouldn't worry too much about withdrawal effects that may never occur!

I can almost guarantee that they will, from 2mg/day of clonazepam for six years. How severe they will be is unpredictable, as you acknowledge yourself, which is why she needs to have a psychiatrist on board.

All sorts of physical withdrawal effects are possible, like dry mouth, increased or decreased sweating, gastrointestinal issues, migraine, dizzyness, skin issues, spontaneous recollection of events that happened long ago. But at your dose the more serious side effects are unlikely to occcur.

2mg of Klonopin is not a small dose. Seizure is always a possibility with any benzo withdrawal. Rebound anxiety is almost certain to occur.

You have the full support of your doctor, right?

You've specifically advised her to avoid proper medical support.

Do you know how you will deal with your anxiety ? There are some drugs you can take for symptomatic relief. Hydroxyzine, beta-blockers can help with anxiety and can be taken PRN. For insomnia, sedating antihistamines can be used. You probably want to avoid antipsychotics and antidepressants, since you would just trade one drug for another, or worse, add a drug to the clonazepam.

Beta blockers are not effective for treatment of anxiety disorders. Hydroxyzine hasn't been proven to be as effective as benzos or SSRIs. I find it rather stupid that you advise her to avoid effective treatment because it would amount to "trading drugs". In fact, you've told the OP to avoid effective treatment at every point in your post, which worries me.

To the OP: I'm not seeing how your rationale for discontinuing the benzo is worth the trouble. If you haven't been working on the underlying cause of the anxiety in therapy or otherwise, and you don't have any effective treatment alternative set up, I don't think it's wise to consider stopping the Klonopin. If you want to stop anyway, I would strongly advise getting a psychiatrist, and taking it slowly.

I have dealt with many of the issues that I believe were the underlying cause. Many things in my life has changed in the past 6+ years and I feel better equipped to deal with the anxiety. I have been in weekly therapy for 5 years (though not in the past year). If the problems I had before arise again I am not against continuing the medication, but would like to try to discontinue.

Again thank you for presenting different opinions and giving me more to consider.

I went off 3 mgs. a day after 6 years, 2 years ago. It is a BIG DEAL. For me, it was a very big deal. I was fucked for a year. And that's just the physical symptoms, after a huge ass seizure I was put on a taper that last for 3 weeks and it was definitely to fast for my liking, however medically *safe* it was. If you have no other reason to get off them than you want to see if you can handle life without them, get a psychiatrist and taper over 6 mos. to a year if he or she will let you.

How did you begin to taper off? Did you have a seizure under your doctors care? That is my biggest concern and what I keep reading is a possibility. How quickly did you taper? Thank you for sharing your experience.

One factor in tapering now rather than later is my husband and I are moving out of the country for two years in February and this is not something I want to deal with at that point. Upon returning (I am thinking really long term) I will be 34 and would like to have a child. Those are two reasons why I am wanting to discontinue the medication, but neither are important enough at this point to put myself in danger.

Did you have warning signs before having a seizure? Do you think it was due to taking it for 6 years (because I am in that boat.)

I am sorry it was a hard year for you. I hope things are better now.

I tapered off 0.5mg over the course of 10 days. I stayed off it for a week and now I'm back on. My reasons for doing so were stupid (I was going to an event where alcohol was a huge factor socially and wanted to be able to drink) and it was not fun. After 3 days I woke up with panic attacks. Every. Single. Day. For seven days.

Was it worth it? Yeah, it was to me. Was it smart? Not in the slightest. Would I recommend it? Not in seven hells.

I think that being on Lamictal and have no history of seizure disorders was a huge reason I didn't end up with a seizure.

I did something not so smart earlier this year, I was on 2mg Clonezapam every night. I stopped cold turkey. While A tapering plan might have helped, its taken over 6 months, and returning to 1mg every night to be "okay". If you are going to try to taper, I think you should follow Celestia's advice, Do it over at LEAST a 6 month period. Going down too quickly sends most people into panic attacks or a HUGE increase in anxiety. Slow is definitely the key.

How did you begin to taper off? Did you have a seizure under your doctors care?

Actually, it's kind of fucked up. I knew I was in serious trouble, and I had to jump through many hoops over a 24 hour period to get a bed in a hospital that treated MI and drug addiction. I fully recognize that most people take benzos without going into addiction land, I am not one of those people.

So...long story short, I was in the hospital all of 12 hours and had a seizure, in the dining room--for everyone to see--and was whisked away to the ER where the doc gave me some Ativan and sent me back. I started the taper then. They reduced by .5, IIRC. I know it took me 3 weeks to fully taper. But I was totally unprepared for the rebuilding in my brain that was to come. It was very harsh. I would be happy to share if you want to PM me, but my best advice to you is do this with a pdoc. There is just no other way to do it. Even if you remove the seizure risk, there are so many other issues that need attention during that time. That happened 2 years ago, and I've been off benzos for most of that time. I had almost every single w/d side effect that Dr. Ashton describes in her manual. It helped me to read that and remind myself that recovery from all those years of benzos was going to take awhile.

Did you have warning signs before having a seizure?
I think I did. It was pretty weird. I could not lift my right leg/foot off the floor. It was just...stuck on the floor. Other than that and just being totally batshit insane, I didn't really feel it coming. I'll tell you what, I fell on my head on a concrete floor. That fucker hurt for months.

Do you think it was due to taking it for 6 years (because I am in that boat.)
i think that had a lot to do with it. That and the quantity I was taking.

Awww thanks. Yes, things are so much better. After the first year I started to see my thinking patterns trying to reset themselves. I feel pretty normal cognitively these days. I mean, I forget shit, but I'm old.

The only other thing I would tell you to consider is you can't really anticipate how you're going to feel off the benzos. They have a lot to do with why you even think that in the first place, kwim? It isn't until you are safely detoxed and off them for a bit that you can even being to speculate how you are on vs. off them.

I cold turkey'd off of (what was it?) 4mg of xanax a day about 6 months ago. Stupid, and scared the shit out of many, many kind and good people here at CB. I won't go into my reasons why (they were crazy, but what did you expect from a crazy person?). I had horrid physical withdrawal symptoms for about 15 days, and couldn't sleep for shit.

I recovered, realized I could live without xanax, then my dad started getting really, really ill from his cancer, and I was back on it PRN to deal with the stress and pressure.

Like you, I thought I had everything taken care of, but then life throws you a curve ball and then you need that assistance again. Doesn't make you weak, just makes you have an MI.

So my advice is see a trained pro on the taper, even if it is just a phone call advice. Lots of HMO's have this. Taper slowly, and if you feel uncomfortable, go back to the previous dose, cut it in half, and take the new dose for a week.

Good luck.

Guest stella

How did you begin to taper off? Did you have a seizure under your doctors care?

Actually, it's kind of fucked up. I knew I was in serious trouble, and I had to jump through many hoops over a 24 hour period to get a bed in a hospital that treated MI and drug addiction. I fully recognize that most people take benzos without going into addiction land, I am not one of those people.

So...long story short, I was in the hospital all of 12 hours and had a seizure, in the dining room--for everyone to see--and was whisked away to the ER where the doc gave me some Ativan and sent me back. I started the taper then. They reduced by .5, IIRC. I know it took me 3 weeks to fully taper. But I was totally unprepared for the rebuilding in my brain that was to come. It was very harsh. I would be happy to share if you want to PM me, but my best advice to you is do this with a pdoc. There is just no other way to do it. Even if you remove the seizure risk, there are so many other issues that need attention during that time. That happened 2 years ago, and I've been off benzos for most of that time. I had almost every single w/d side effect that Dr. Ashton describes in her manual. It helped me to read that and remind myself that recovery from all those years of benzos was going to take awhile.

Did you have warning signs before having a seizure?
I think I did. It was pretty weird. I could not lift my right leg/foot off the floor. It was just...stuck on the floor. Other than that and just being totally batshit insane, I didn't really feel it coming. I'll tell you what, I fell on my head on a concrete floor. That fucker hurt for months.

Do you think it was due to taking it for 6 years (because I am in that boat.)
i think that had a lot to do with it. That and the quantity I was taking.

Awww thanks. Yes, things are so much better. After the first year I started to see my thinking patterns trying to reset themselves. I feel pretty normal cognitively these days. I mean, I forget shit, but I'm old.

The only other thing I would tell you to consider is you can't really anticipate how you're going to feel off the benzos. They have a lot to do with why you even think that in the first place, kwim? It isn't until you are safely detoxed and off them for a bit that you can even being to speculate how you are on vs. off them.

• 1 year later...

I tapered off ativan using valium after 8 years of use. I wish I had stopped much earlier. The reason was because my memory was fading and the medication is intended for short term use on a periodic basis. I did not have any seizures but found the psychological addiction to be an ongoing problem. I have been off it for many months but my memory and cognitive abilities are still not back. That is reason enough for me never to take it again. There are some other medications that relieve anxiety if you need them, but it's much better to not rely on any medications. I have found that stress and anxiety can be useful and purposeful (if it doesn't make you dysfunctional) and taking a pill to quash it instead of addressing the problem is not a long term effective solution.

Archived