CrazyBoards.org

Aside from the drugs, how are you being helped?

I'm also interested in hearing about other's experience with cognitive behavioral therapy and hypnosis.

I tried hypnosis for about six sessions one on one as opposed to some of the group sessions that are advertised, but I didn't get great results; I was hoping to change my binge eating behavior.  I never felt like I really "went under" because I never seemed to relax enough.  I've done some meditation in the past and know that I could have gone much deeper in my mind, but for whatever reason never managed to so it wasn't very successful.  I'm sure it would be if one was able to get to the right frame of mind.  I'd like to try it again both for binge eating and depression.

I've never had CBT, although have read up on it quite a bit and try to use some of the methods on my own.  The logic behind it makes it easy to understand and helps me clear some of my brain fog sometimes.

I've had mixed results with interpersonal therapy over the years - the last therapist left a bad taste in my mouth and I've not been anxious to start again with anyone new.  Also at this point my insurance/employment situation isn't conducive to therapy.  I don't care for group therapy, except in cyberspace. 

I wish that my pdoc practiced therapy as he and I communicate easily.  However, he's getting older so has restricted his practice to medication management, even though he's also trained in psychotherapy.  He leaves it up to me if I want to pursue therapy or not, although he's happy to work with a therapist if I do.

What does the abbreviation "NLP" refer to?

NLP: Neuro - Linguistic Programming.

NLP has worked like magic for me.  What a lot of people do not understand is that learning the basic principles is only 10% of the job.  The rest comes down to a lot a practice and a lot of patience.  After putting a lot of effort in, I consider myself quite skilled, and I know that I will continue to get better at it.

It is the perfect tool to combine with hypnosis.

And it helps you in ALL aspects of life. 

Worth reading up on.

I know that cognitive behavioral therapy is common, and I would be curious to know if you have found these methods to be successful coping tools.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have been working with a therapist for anxiety using CBT and it has been pretty helpful for me.  The combination of breathing and relaxation exercises has helped with dealing with situationaly anxiety and seems to have lowered my general level of anxiety.  I was pleasantly suprised.  I went in thinking it was silly and wouldn't work, but I was wrong.

HTH.

"I would be curious to know if you have found these methods to be successful coping tools"

It is helping my husband. Meds alone would not have helped him out of his depression. He is still fighting it, but he is on the upswing...no longer dwelling at the bottom of the ocean beneath the whale turds.

"I would be curious to know if you have found these methods to be successful coping tools"

It is helping my husband. Meds alone would not have helped him out of his depression. He is still fighting it, but he is on the upswing...no longer dwelling at the bottom of the ocean beneath the whale turds.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well that is always good to hear ;)

Does your hubby have a therapy method that he can work can by himself (in addition to the professional therapy that he recieves)?

Or, does he find the therapy he is recieving an adequate tool by itself?

Guest sumthin ta say

My current therapist practices insight-based, unstructured talk therapy -- ie I show up and complain, and he periodically asks a redirecting question.  It's of minimal assistance when I'm in a hypomanic/manic/mixed/depressive cycle (though there has occasionally been some benefit); it tends to help most when I'm euthymic and able to independently recognize the import of this chatty game of connect-the-dots. 

I've also seen a therapist who emphasized prayer therapy, and used the structure of the Townsend/Cloud Boundaries resources.  Reading the Boundaries book.  Doing the Boundaries worksheets.  Watching the Boundaries video.  It utilized many principles of CBT, but with a decidedly Christian spin. The emphasis was on recognizing areas of personal responsibility and areas of other's responsibility, defending one's own boundaries and respecting the boundaries of others.  That was somewhat liberating, but it didn't do a great deal for the unemployed-and-living-with-parents-post-suicidal-stretch depression that I was slowly drifting through.  And once my depression was no longer instantly recognizable, I was immediately pulled from therapy.  I feel I could have used a bit longer with that approach, though I don't intend to repeat it now. 

"Does your hubby have a therapy method that he can work can by himself (in addition to the professional therapy that he recieves)?"

Well, the therapist does give him homework....so yeah...he does have things he works on himself...but it is initiated by his t-doc. Her goal is to teach him new coping skills that he will be able to use throughout his life instead of reverting to old patterns.

• 2 weeks later...

I did some CBT when I was first diagnosed.  I don't know if it wasn't long enough, but..it got to the point where I"d go in and bitch about my life and that was that, and I didn't really feel like that was helping me at all.  What it did help with was recognizing when I'm beyond normal sad and into depression. 

Archived