CrazyBoards.org

Benzos compared

PBF

Which benzo helped you the most with anxiety and had the least side effects?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Which benzo helped you the most with anxiety and had the least side effects?

• Xanax (alprazolam)
    • Ativan (lorazepam)
    • Klonopin (clonazepam)
    • Serax (oxazepam)
    • Valium (diazepam)
    • Librium (chlordiazepoxide)

i've used xanax, klonopin and valium. i voted valium because i still need round-the-clock coverage and it's the smoothest ride for me. if i "only" needed for occasions i'd vote xanax. klonopin worked but made me feel foggiest and cottonmouthed.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah Klonopin was icky for me (though its leading the polls)... made me too sleepy and "foggy" as lei said.

Xanax is my top choice now.  Ativan was okay, nothing really wrong with it but nothing too great either

• 1 month later...

I've taken all the meds in this poll (as well as many other benzos), and I have to say I think Valium is the best benzo there is. It's the Chanel No. 5 of tranquilizers.

It is the longest acting of those listed, and (for me, anyway) has a very predictable effect. Klonopin would come a close second, and I actually read somewhere that it ranked the highest in a survey of which drug you would most want to have with you if trapped on a deserted island :)

Librium is also a good choice, if your anxiety isn't too overwhelming. As to the others: Xanax and Ativan are too addictive for my taste, and Serax wears off too fast, as well as taking too long to kick in...and all three in this last group have intradose withdrawal effects, if taken too long.

Lastly, I found Tranxene to be a wonderful benzo, and it really helped me...right up to the time it made me try to kill myself ;)

Just my 2 cents, and probably others have an entirely different experience.

I think Klon is getting too high of a rating...I would say it is much better than Ativan, but I found you can build a resistance to it and require an increase in dosage rather easily.

hi everyone - im new to this board. 

i self medicated my anxiety attacks for a long time with valium - LOVED IT - however, now that its more illegal to buy perscriptions in mexico, i went to my doc for a real scrip and she wouldnt give it to me, gave me xanax instead.  she said due to the long acting nature of valium, it can be dangerous - effects last up to 10+ hrs, but the drug can stay in your system for up to 100 hours - and its easy to build up too much in your system if youre taking it often.  especially dangerous if you like your liquor a bit too much...

xanax is fine, works fine, wears off in about 5 hrs for me (which is fine because my anxiety attacks are not all that frequent and are short lived), but i dont get as much of the pleasurable side effects that i had with valium - body high, happy feet, sexy horny feeling...

i still keep valium in my medicine cabinet, but now i just save it for special occasions  ;)

I've tried a bunch of benzos but prefer Xanax because it's fast acting and short lived.  I take it only when i have attacks, chew it up and i'm feeling better in ~10 minutes.  It's probably saved my life multiple times.  The only times i wish i had something longer is when i am forced to go travelling (due to family or work).  On vacation I'm in a high anxiety state all the time so I really need a whole new medicine cabinet just for vacations.

I've used xanax and valium til now - didn't care for either one. Way too addicting, I'm just now trying to getoff xanax completely. Started on Ativan yesterday, gotta say, so far I think it's wonderful. Very "soft" around the edges, although maybe I'm  little loopier than I should be. But doesn't make me tired, at least not so far. that was the whole point of switching.

Guest buspar queen

I've only used Xanax on an as needed basis.  I like it a lot though because it is fast acting and short lived.  I also like it because it helps me gauge how anxious I actually am...if I take too much (for my current level of anxiety) I get sleepy...that doesn't happen often though.

Archived