CrazyBoards.org

zoloft and bipolar?

Caused BAD dysphoric mania at around 150 mg. Quit cold turkey. Went from manic to suicidal and back in 10 seconds. Not fun. (This was the only drug I was on at the time. Not a good idea, but I hadn't been dxed as bipolar yet. I can probably thank Zoloft for helping me get dxed correctly! Or I can curse it to the netherworld. Depends on my mood.  ;) )

I am on 200 mg Zoloft.  I was taking it with 1200 mg Trileptal until I developed a rash and had to discontinue it.  I absolutely love the Zoloft, but without the Trileptal, I am very manic and becoming dysphoric.  I see my pdoc tomorrow.  I was very happy when I first became manic, but now I am starting to get headaches and hallucinations and just generally am in a foul mood.

I found that Zoloft worked pretty well for my BP,but like everyone has said a mood stabilizer is a good idea as well(I was on lamictin first for TLE) so now i am on both lacmitin and Zoloft which has me feeling contained

i have a new pdoc and she is questioning my bp diagnosis... she says since i was on zoloft in the past (and nothing else) and did fine on it, i can't be bp...  so i just want to know what to look for since i'm not sure i know what dysphoric mania feels like.

Some folks distinguish between dysphotic mania & mixed states, but I suspect it's just a matter of degree or perhaps of temperement.  Both seem to be a mixture of hypomanic or manic symptoms (anywhere from edginess through racing  thoughts) and depressive symptoms (suicidal ideations, hearing nasty voices, paranoia, guilt, rage).  Both can involve delusions or hallucinations.  Someone here recently told me dysphoric mania is a very destructive angry mania.  But that just sounds like a mixed state taken to the extreme.

Check out the pinned thread at the top on Bipolar Psychosis In Mania/mixed Vs Hypomania.  There's a running discussion on, among other things, mixed states.  Also, you can google the phrases (my favorite play activity).

and if so, what happened?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It send my mood swings to extraordinary levels of depression and made me very suicidal or cause be to be manic to the point of mental distress or caused a mixed state...

When they kept raising the dose to highest you can be on I became completely apathetic and lethargic. I did not care anymore about anything, so I stopped it cold turkey, told my doctor to fuck off, and didnt go get on meds for 2 years ..... lol

SSRI Discontinuation Syndrome is pretty shitty too ..

dysphoric mania @ 100mg when mixed with 40mg Geodon QPM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dysphoric Mania is a Mixed State Episode.

For me it is being enegetic, motivated, and sped up to the point where I wont sleep for 4 days , my racing thoughts are so negative self hatred driven and anxiety fueled that if I wasnt so afraid of death at the same time I would kill myself probably ... but instead I feel trapped in mental distress until it ends...

Mania and Depression of any kind is NOTHING compared to that feeling ... it makes me scare me and that's pretty hard to do lol

i have a new pdoc and she is questioning my bp diagnosis... she says since i was on zoloft in the past (and nothing else) and did fine on it, i can't be bp...  so i just want to know what to look for since i'm not sure i know what dysphoric mania feels like.

Well. Doing fine on zoloft is by no means a litmus test for bp.

Archived