CrazyBoards.org

Need A Geek ... Help

Guest PinkToo2grrl

Guest PinkToo2grrl

OK, so I am a dumbass and my back ups are old. 

I had some kind of issue (power outtage or virus) on my desktop PC (thankfully I still have the lap top), so now it's not booting, and i need to go in and try and repair the OS.  NP.

The thing is, I'd like to try and grab my data off the acting funky PC and put it on the laptop before I do the repair "just to be on the safe side"  (safe side now?  yeah well, hindsight and all that shit -- I'll be setting  up a backup system as soon as I get the desktop up and running again.)

Is there any way I can connect the lap top to the desktop to get at the data?  (thinking some kinda master/slave config, which I have heard of, but know nothing about)  The desktop boots up fine from the install disc, just not from the C drive OS cuz there are some "unrecoverable problems" according to CHKDSK.

Anyway, help much appreciated. 

pinky

(back to googling this mess)

Aha!

That gives you some options. You may have to pick up some cables, but here is the general idea....

If you have an ethernet hub, plug both of them into the hub and network them. Then drop and drag the files to the laptop. May take a while, but it is better than losing all your stuff.

If you DO NOT have a hub, you can connect the ethernet ports directly, but you have to use a crossover cable.

Here is more info on what I am talking about....

http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,102461,00.asp

http://www.winplanet.com/article/2645-.htm

http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/HomeNet-start.asp

I have to say that I have done stuff like this a million times....but NOT ON A WINDOWS MACHINE. Yeah, the concepts are the same, and the hardware required is the same, but networking 2 Macs takes a few minutes. Networking Windows machines can be tricky. You have more stuff to configure, etc... My network at home has and iMac G5, and iMac G4, and eMac, a Macintosh G3 Beige and a Macintosh G3 Blue, and 1 Compaq PC running Windows 98. The macs all play nice together. That damn Windows machine has an attitude though ;)

Guest PinkToo2grrl

i already had them networked through a router, but now that the desktop drive is not mounting, the laptop it not seeing it on the network, so i am looking for some kind of workaround. 

i'm starting to get this little ocd fuck it, it must be fixed thing going on in my head.  i really want to back up the data before i attempt to repair the OS, but i am starting to think I am SOL there.

woulda coulda shoulda.

what are the chances an OS repair will damage my docs?  am i worrying over nothing?

Guest PinkToo2grrl

1)  What O/S are you running?  Windows XP

2)  Are the file systems on both puters the same, as in FAT or NTFS? - Um this I don't know, how would I check?

yes PCs

3)  I'm assuming these are PC and not Macs.

If you are running Win XP do you know how to do a Restore?  no, unfortunately

if the system boots up with a disk, you can always go to windows explorer -- ok this is the trick, how do I get there?

i'm starting to get this little ocd fuck it,

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know what you mean

I'll keep tearing it apart

install/uninstall,tamper with software

until

I'm in such a cycle

I swear I fuck things up

to have a hassle

paws off,Stasis

If you have the technical skills, you could use a Linux LiveCD like Knoppix to boot the computer and then try to recover the files off the hard disk.  Or fix the disk problems if possible.  If you have it networked, you could use a ssh client to connect from the laptop and copy stuff over.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PinkToo2grrl

ok so i got knoppix all downloaed and booted up from the cd and i can SEE my data.  But everytime i try and copy it, the program stalls.  Is it me?  What am I doing wrong?  or should I go back to v. 3.8.2?.  I downloaded v.3.9

SO CLOSE!!!

First question, where are you copying from and where are you copying to? 

#2.  It may not matter.  If you had problems with booting Windows cuz it said the disk was corrupt or whatever, and know it pitches a fit when you try to copy, it may be gone.  There are some places that you can send the drive to and they will attempt to recover the data, but I don't know how expensive it is.

C.  I have spent the last two days at work rebuilding my Linux workstation.  I was having problems with power management and I tried to fix them.  It didn't work.  I got pissed and formatted the drives.  Big mistake.  Lost a lot of data.  Stupid me.  Point being, even us supposedly technically adept people do stupid stuff and mess up their systems sometimes.  So, you are not alone.

If you would like some more advice, feel free to PM me.

I just did a system restore on XP this morning, and it said that data files wold not be erased but they might be hard to find.

I just opened the box on the thing yesterday. It started to crash within the first few minutes, or at least the first hour. And now it seems really sick. It's a refurbished HP and they are sending me a hard drive.

Meanwhile more sluggish stuff on W98, which I guess is where I'll be writing about it.

Archived