CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
mel1

Seroquel dreams/nightmares

Guest Girl_interrupted

I have been having horrific, vivid dreams pretty much since I started Seroquel. I take 300mg Seroquel XR and my pdoc has tried adding a benzo at night but nothing has helped so we are going back to the drawing board. Not looking forward to it.

Guest Ruth

For me, the Seroquel (only 25 mgs at night) has been causing me to dream the same torturous dream over and over, about a guy in college I hadn't thought about in 20 years, and he is rejecting me in different settings. I wake up wanting to cry and just aching with sadness. I almost feel obsessed with thinking about him and that is scary to me. At least I hope it's the Seroquel!

I didn't remember my dreams until I started taking Seroquel.

Yesterday in anthro, this kid walked into class and I had an epiphany and realized that he was naked in my dream last night. It's so weird. I dream about such random things and they are so vivid sometimes but nothing really disturbing. Although he's not anyone I'd particularly want to see naked.

I really don't think that "vivid dreams" is a horrible side effect. They're just dreams for christ's sake. You wake up, and they're over. I think the various guests (if there are actually more than one, it's hard to tell) need to get over it.

Why yes, I do have vivid dreams, and sometimes they are disturbing. But I can tell the difference between a dream and reality so they don't bother me especially after I've woken up. So, the benefits of Seroquel far outweigh the occasional bad dream.

For some people the vivid dreams may seem livable and "if getting over it" was an option I'm sure people would try but they take over lives. I know in my case they are so bad they haunt me for the entire day, to the point where I am so scared to sleep. For me the only option has come to a med change, which I accept.

But it comes down to individual choice and the affects and as we all well know each drug affects each individual differently.

Guest Ruth

Hey Withing - Rude.

I wanted to add for the benefit of anyone else curious about the dreams Seroquel may or may not affect, that my intrusive dreams and the "after-effects" of sad/painful emotions that lingered throughout the day only seemed to occur during the week or two around my monthly cycle. This leads me to believe that the dreams were more a result of hormones and PMS than Seroquel. I am on 50 mgs of Seroquel nightly. So far I do NOT have vivid or unusual dreams like the rest of you have been describing - just the painful dreams that leave me sad the next day.

So I'm concluding that Seroquel is not the culprit. It has not affected my dreams.

Sometimes the dreams relate in very negative ways to my real life and I get emotional about them during the day afterward. I could see that being too much for some people.

Guest Guest

Hi, I never post in any boards, but after suddenly withdrawing of the 25 mg Seroquel for racing thoughts, I just woke up from the most terrifying dream I have ever had. I kept trying to run and hid in different parts of a walmart while this military looking serial killer kept chasing me and calling me his prey. I am still terrified and exhausted.

Hahahah also, ever since I started to take antidepressants I had the constant dreams where a random college exboyfriend rejects me in different situations and is so heartbreaking.

The brain is such a mystery

Guest Mandy

Ever since I started taking seroquel- several months ago- I have the most vivid, long-lasting, mind-boggling, at-times disturbing, and often downright torturous. Is that normal. Does anyone have these problems. They are similar to those depictions of someone hallucinating on tv(which is never what hallucinating is really like!). I am, strangely enough, not scared during these dreams, as if I am too drugged to feel anything. But they torture me and haunt me and are so disturbing to wake up to. Weird does not begin to describe it. I wouldn't even call it nightmares, because I don't feel frightened, I feel tortured. Is it just me? Or does anyone else have this problem? mel

I'm so glad to have found this post. When I was on seroquel I too had the most insane dreams too. I know it was from the seroquel because I didnt take it every night like I was supposed to. On the nights I did take it, I would have severe restless leg syndrome, eat everything in site and then once I fell asleep I would "Hallucinate" in my sleep too. The dreams were so real and terrifing that they would haunt me for days. Glad to know I am not alone in this.

Guest Rosas

Yea i take 800mg of seroqual and the dreams are too vivid that i'm beginning to lose a small sense of reality. I have ordinary days in my dreams and can't remeber if it happened in my dream or if it didn't. I sometimes talk to my friends about conversations are things we've never done but I really feel that they happened. It's a good thing i don't have a big social life or I'll be going insane. What making me kinda lose it is the de ja vues i get. I get like 3-4 of them in a month. I also document everything in my phone, like journal entries. So far, its been a crazy experience. I keep taking seroqual because it's the best medication that has helped me with bipolar and some schizophrenia symptoms i have. Also, I like being alone, its the most pleasant feeling in the world i can truly be myself and don't have to wear a mask. Some people might understand others wont well this is my experiance.

Guest LG

Seroquel makes me wake up screaming. 100mgs for about a year. I never get scared from the dreams but they are truly epic. However, in the morning I'm fine. And then during the day I start to remember the dreams and have a really confusing state of mind deciphering what is real and what isn't. I know it was in my dream but my daily thoughts are consumed by my dreams.

Guest orchidbluesky

I am on 800mg of Seroquel and I too have vivid dreams. Some have been quite disturbing but most have been quite enjoyable. I must admit that I look forward to going to bed so I can have these dreams. It's kind of like living two lives!

I've been on 150 mg for about 3 months maybe more and I never used to remember my dreams, rarely ever had nightmares- but ever since I started on this- I have had the most horrible nightmares- some so embarrassing I wouldn't repeat- so off the wall but a common theme is that either I'm lost or have lost something- Almost like an acid trip- the worst part is that when I awake, if I try to go right back to sleep, they continue- I need to stay awake for about a half an hour and then go back to sleep but no guarantee they won't continue- They are prescribed to me Because I was having trouble staying asleep and I would awake every 2 hours or so- now I only awake maybe once or twice but I find that the most vivid are early morning dreams- within an hour of getting up I more or less cannot remember them except for one or two really bizarre ones

Seroquel does that to me, too......the good thing about interesting dreams is that they keep you asleep....my dreams are weird at times but not frightening or disturbing....

I was given Seroquel for PTSD and to stop nightmares due to PTSD - It works.

The reason you all are having such crazy dreams while on Seroquel (well actually there are 2 reasons)... one it is not a sleep medication and two the most important one - is you aren't taking enough of it. I have the world's WORST NIGHT TERRORS - I relive everything I have ever been through beatings, rapes of a guy I used to date - but add in some extra blood. Another famous one I have is someone is chasing me with an ax - or sword of knife -this person who I almost never see (but has been at times my sister, and my exboyfriend) is slashing with the blade and just cutting me - there is BLOOD everywhere - and I am running - through the woods, or on top of tenement buildings and then just when I am about to run or jump to the next one - the GUY who used to beat me - is standing there.

I am over that wicked evil bastard - and i have even seen him - i am no longer afraid of him - but in my dreams - he is there still torturing me. So I finally got on seroquel - I take 400mg to sleep. The only side effect that bothers me - is it makes me terribly hungry... and yes, I have gained weight.

So yes - it does work for either getting rid of, or not letting you remember the dreams - you just have to be on a high enough dose for that to happen... I know because when I first went on it - yes - I dreamt in techicolor - but I was determined to get rid of those nightmares - so the doctor kept upping the dose til I found one that worked.

Edited by JustLynn

Obviously, everybody's experience is individual to them.

I used to have horrendous nightmares involving my family following me, or turning up uninvited at my home, or things like that. That might not sound too much, but I am terrified of my family after what they did to me in 2006. I would also have my family controlling my dreams in order to get me to agree with their rediculous accusations against me. This might be related to me having had a bad episode of thought control, but I currently don't know so I won't speculate. Plus these dreams were very vivid and would at times interfere with my reality.

Since starting Seroquel, I have mostly been too asleep to dream. I know it is currently early days for me, but I also know that the first few weeks is when side effects are the worst. But I do not remember any dreams, and feel much more at ease (both during the day and during the night, though I am on it for a combination of anxiety, psychosis, and thought control). I have been free of the thought control also for the first time in years. For the first week I was on 300mg, now I am on 600mg.

So overall I think that for me, Seroquel has reduced the impact of vivid nightmares. Even if only by making me too sleepy to care about anything.

Hope that made sense.

I am about to start Seroquel as my nightmares have me flinging myself out of bed. I have cut my head, cheeks, lots of bruises and almost broke my foot kicking the bedframe to say nothing of kicking and punching my wife..

Am looking forward to some peace and less blood.

Best dreams I have ever had, the most connecting with a passed loved one. Deep conversations with this person, healing in nature. They make my waking very happy. I still wake several times a night, so this means that I have several of these dreams per night; this makes me smile several times a night. They rarely are continuous dreams, but sometimes they continue when I go back to sleep. I have never had a scary dream with this.