CrazyBoards.org

Lithium concerns

Guest pathetic + pitiful = pathetiful

Guest pathetic + pitiful = pathetiful

Recently diagnosed Bipolar II, with crappy mixed states, SEVERE winter depression (I fear February).  Anyhow, doc started me out at 600mg/day of Lithium, and I just went up to 1200mg/day, without a level check (prescribed that way).  I felt pretty good at 600/mg, but noticed that I was getting irritable, and thought that would subside when my dose increased.  Now I just feel doped up on 1200mg, and I'm anxious (tightness in my head; not a "headache" but just as annoying).

I've never had a manic episode, just dysphoric hypomania, alternating with the blues.  Think that my dosage is too high?  Maybe need to go back down to 900mg and augment with something for anxiety?  I'm also having concentration problems, it's a definite challenge to read and stay on the same line.

I feel like I have a short fuse with my kids, too, which usually only presents during the dysphoric mania (which I am not not experiencing).

I feel like I've just taken a vicodin, but without all of the benefits.  Help!

Guest amateur alias for laziness

I think you need a level check, dear, before anyone makes script alterations.  Level checks are near-painless and a very good thing.  Insist on one. 

For irritability and anxiety, I'd say see if it lasts a week (or becomes outright life-destroying), then try a pill-shaped solution.  Maybe one of the benzos, maybe an antipsychotic, maybe, with extreme caution, an antidepressant.  I can't tell you which. 

Good luck.

Archived