CrazyBoards.org

splitting wellbutrin xl

Guest rileyswatching

Guest rileyswatching

I know its probably not a good idea, but do you think it would be ok to split a 300 mg wellbutrin xl to go with another 300 mg so I can take my regular 450 mg. dose - my pres. is out of refills and pdoc is on vacation for 2 more weeks. Such bad planning on my part! I also take 150 mg. topamax, lunesta, and a host of asthma meds. Ack. Any suggestions?

splitting XL pills defeats the time release mechanism... you could take 300mg every 16 hours but it might interfere with your sleep if u take it too late.. but definately dont split them or you will have 150mg of immediate release wellbutrin.

im just speaking from experience because i did this once and it almost caused me to have a panic attack (150mg immediate release hits you pretty hard if ur not ready for it)

I know its probably not a good idea, but do you think it would be ok to split a 300 mg wellbutrin xl to go with another 300 mg so I can take my regular 450 mg. dose - my pres. is out of refills and pdoc is on vacation for 2 more weeks. Such bad planning on my part! I also take 150 mg. topamax, lunesta, and a host of asthma meds. Ack. Any suggestions?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The total dose would still be 450 mg, right?  And that is what the pdoc prescribed?  Of course it is okay.  I'd recommend the use of a real pill splitter tho.  There have been times when my pharmacist was out of a strength I needed, and he prescribed a weaker or stronger, with the knowledge I'd arrive at the correct dosage.  Happy splitting!

Dan~

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The total dose would still be 450 mg, right?  And that is what the pdoc prescribed?  Of course it is okay.  I'd recommend the use of a real pill splitter tho.  There have been times when my pharmacist was out of a strength I needed, and he prescribed a weaker or stronger, with the knowledge I'd arrive at the correct dosage.  Happy splitting!

Dan~

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dan, I really think its not wise to split the pill because of the time release.  Really, don't believe me (i'm not a doctor but i play one on tv?  ;) )...  Call the pharmacist.  (btw, dont follow any instructions you hear on this board if it involves changing your meds in a major way if you don't check with your doctor or pharmacist first)

With "regular" Wellbutrin it wouldn't be a problem. However, the XL is intended to be released slowly and it's hard to tell exactly how it will react with you when you cut them.

Go ask your pharmacist for advice about cutting the pills. S/he will have the most useful information. Also, did your pdoc leave someone you can contact if something bad happens? You could contact that person for a small prescription -- that doctor can call the pharmacy to verify your history of being prescribed the Wellbutrin and then enter a prescription to carry you over to your next pdoc appointment.

Fiona

Guest rileyswatching

Thanks all for your replies...I figured it would prob. mess w/ the time release aspect but figured it was worth a try. I prob can't handle changing that to immediate release; am jittery enough as it is. Will try to contact my pharm or her on call doc tomorrow...

• 2 weeks later...

The ime release technology in WellbutrinXL pills is such that you actually *can* split them, but as mentioned above, I'd reccomend using a real pill splitter and not making it a habit.

The XL pills- and only the XL pills- are made out of a type of spongey casing that holds the bupropion and only allows the drug to be dissolved at the appropriate rate. This is one of the newer time-release technologies, and if you read the PI sheets you will see that there is note in there that you may see the "shell" pass in your stool.

The pill itself doesn't appear any smaller-- you can still read the print on it like 6 hours after you've taken it. The only notable difference is that it will have become kind of squishy-- but in a uniform manner. The uniform manner of the pill's dissolution is the reason I would think it's okay to to split a WB XL pill. I just wouldn't make it a habit.

Sorry to butt in, but I don't think so. I'll go back and check, but I believe that the casing for the Wellbutrin XL has tiny laser holes in it that allow the active drug out of the casing over time. Splitting the casing would open it up and you'd get the whole split dose at once.

Actually, anafagodma is correct.  I've been splitting my Wellbutrin XL since I started taking it.  I don't get the whole split dose at once.  It lasts me as long as not splitting it does.  Since I keep seeing threads about this, maybe someone should call or write to GlaxoSmithKline and find out how it is really made.  Laser holes or spongy casing.

The casings are made by Biovail, a pharmaceutical company that specializes in delayed release drug tech. But neither their, nor GlaxoSmithKline's Wellbutrin sites gave any particularly specific information about what the casing does. The closest I found was that it is a two layer casing that controls the release of the drug, and that you're not supposed to split, crush or chew it.

Maybe it's a sponge manufactured via laser technology, but a sponge, nonetheless. 

Or maybe sponge isn't the right word. I don't know. How 'bout everyone here on WBXL induces vomiting 10 hours after taking their meds and we meet up back here on the 31st to compare experiences; we'll take a vote on who has come up with the most descriptive phraseology (vs.  "who's never examined a half-digested WellbutrinXL tab".)

Archived