CrazyBoards.org

Lack of sleep

I've read that lack of sleep is a big destabilizer.

I feel like shit.

I had four hours of sleep two nights in a row.  Not from mania, but for reasons beyond my control.  Now I feel insane almost again.  Like nuts.  Like death would be nice. 

Just from two freaking nasty nights of sleep.

Is it just me?  Or do you guys experience this too?

I know that lack of sleep all too well.  ;) For a while there, I would be having nights where it'd be taking forever to get to sleep. I was having some nights where I would get 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours of sleep for the whole night! That's right 1 hour and a half of sleep! Folks, that's not very much sleep at all!!!  :ninja: Many nights, I would only average 4 hours of sleep a night due to frequent awakenings. On 2 days/week, though I would make it up by sleeping 11-12 hours/night.

No matter how many Benadryls, Seroquels, Xanai, or Melatonins I'd take, I couldn't stay asleep for more than 2 freaking hours! That's right 2 HOURS!!!! I'd wake up, wide awake, mind getting stuck on bad thoughts, unable to get back to sleep for 45 minutes!  :P   I take an extra Seroquel and then I manage to get back to sleep 30 min. later only to continuously wake up every 30 minutes on and on and on!  :ninja:

When I woke up, I'd be somewhat tired the next day from lack of sleep.  :) I was also in a place called Fogsville as I woke up in a brain fog.

Now, I'm actually sleeping decently again thanks first and foremost to the recent addition of Topamax. Also, the bonded GABA supplements and Magnesium Taurate are helping some. I hardly ever wake up during the night now, and I wake up not feeling too too tired. I'm not in Fogsville in the morning anymore. I took Topamax before and don't recall ever having trouble sleeping while taking it. I actually slept fairly well while I was on it.  :angry:

These sleep problems make my mood FUBAR, and I feel like Crap.

I used to be able to cruise through non-hypo life on four to six hours sleep per night, consequential to being a night owl. I didn't seek medical assistance for hardcore insomnia (which was -- surprise! -- bipolar) until I was down to half an hour to an hour of fitful dozing, regardless of what I'd try. I'd feel a bit better on eight hours, but six hours was my normal.

Then I started meds. Eight hours, needed. Ten hours, even better. I suddenly need normal sleep, and if I don't get it I'm fucked. I'm unsure as to whether this is normal mood variance (isn't everyone pretty cranky in the morning?) or whether it is some bipolar static. I feel mildly unwell for a few days after a sleepless night. I am bitchy and spacey and anxious and easily flustered. I cry a lot, yell a lot, and am prone to weird eating habits and a potential slip into depression. For days. Days. Days. Regardless of how much recuperatory sleep I've managed. Days.

I hate going to bed.

Waterfall, it's good that what's keeping you up isn't mania.  But I got trained early on that after taking my meds, getting some sleep is top priority in managing my BP.  My doctor's been watchful that I don't start acting addicted to my sleep meds, but he's never threatened to withdraw them, and responds quickly if I report lack of sleep.

I've always been wonkified if I don't sleep.  In retrospect, it always made me manic.  When I was on depakote, sleep deprivation still caused mild hypomania.  Now, on lamictal, if I don't get my sleep, I just feel tired.  It's nice.

Anyhow, yes, it's completely consistent with BP to get literally crazy from lack of sleep.  That's the insidious thing with sleep--you get manic/anxious/paranoid/happy and don't sleep, which makes you even more manic/anxious/paranoid/happy, which eventually leads to outright psychosis.  Brrrr!

So get some sleep.  Do whatever it takes.  And if it's a med problem, get the meds fixed so you can sleep.  It's probably the most important thing you can do.

I've read that lack of sleep is a big destabilizer.

Just from two freaking nasty nights of sleep.

Is it just me?  Or do you guys experience this too?

You read right. I know that if I'm not in bed and asleep by 11:00, life is not good in Patheral's world. 

Before Seroquel, I used to be one of those people that stayed up to all hours of the night - wee hours of the morning - however you want to look at it.  I got by on four hours of sleep a night and my moods were *shot*.  Now I'm a bit more stablized, but a lot of it depends on how much sleep I get.  I really need my seven hours.  *AND* They have to be restful nights of sleep, none of this tossing and turning bullshit.

Sometimes, even on the Seroquel, life keeps me up. If I don't get my seven hours of sleep, I have breakthrough episodes. If I have just two nights were I only get four hours of sleep, I'm sure to get hypomanic, which can lead to cycling. If I only miss a couple of hours here and there, heck, even if I get *too much* sleep, like I fall asleep at nine instead of eleven, it effects my moods.

I hope that you're getting a good night's sleep now.  I'm kind of late to this thread.

Be very careful to get enough sleep.  My only two hospitalizations were caused by lack of sleep.  Like around 4 or 5 days of missing it! LOL.

Since then I have learned to take as many drugs as I need to get those hours or else!  I take 4 different sleeping pills to insure sleep each night, and even then I sometimes don't sleep well.  I guess I have a major sleep disorder besides my bipolar.

Angie

Maybe not that bad all the time, but yeah, two nights of little or no sleep is going to make me feel awful. My Pdoc hammers me on this every time I see her. After a year I finally got it. I'm not young any more, I'm not well, and I can't get by on 4 - 6 hours of sleep. 

This is well documented.  Check out Dr. Phelps site.  He has lots of graphs showing effect lack of sleep.

www.psycheducation.org

Bottom line:  If you want to stay well you must get enough sleep, every night.  Don't fight it.

A.M.

Archived