CrazyBoards.org

Something to Hype up; then something to Wind down

I've noticed that on other boards that are either psychiatric or medication based that some people are talking about taking a medication (such as a stimulant (like Concerta or Adderall) to help them stay up, but then they also want to be taking a "relaxing" medication (like Klonopin or Xanax) at the same time to help balance out each other's effect.

I understand if you want to take a stimulant for ADHD and if you have an anxiety condition you take a benzo, but these people aren't using them together for that purpose and (whether it is or isn't the purpose), they don't mention using this combo for a "high".

I know you can't be in someone elses head, and I can't play doctor either, but what's the point of taking 2 pills if you want them both to cancel each other out. Wouldn't that just leave you in the original state you were at w/o the pills to begin with?

I hope what I'm asking and expressing makes since?

(Like I said I've not seen it here)

They don't give a specific reason other than to balance themselves out so I'm assuming their taking the medications at the same time, (which to me) makes me think that the goal of the medications (in their eyes) would be to take the pills to do opposite jobs.

That's my partake on it.

I kind of get your question, but that's just not really how it all works...

I'm probably one of those people. I take Wellbutrin to get me "all wound up" right? Then Vistaril to "bring me down" and Topamax to level it all off and when it's all over for the day, I'll take an Ambien and sleep.

It might seem that way on paper, but it's not like that in my brain. And no one drug cancels out another. I never feel jacked up, jerked back down, or anything like that. It just keeps me normal. And I'm sure that's how people on any such combo feels or the probably wouldn't keep taking it.

As long as it works. Hell, I'd eat a cow patty every morning if it worked.

Hope that sort of gives you an answer.

I've not heard of this, though I rarely venture beyond CB. My son takes Adderall XR for ADHD, and it calms him down, not hypes him up. So using a stimulant when not required by a disorder is new to me.

This reminds me of when my mother used to take speed to stay up for a couple of days, and then finally smoke some pot to get the speed to wear off. But even then, the two drugs weren't taken at the same time.

I've noticed that on other boards that are either psychiatric or medication based that some people are talking about taking a medication (such as a stimulant (like Concerta or Adderall) to help them stay up, but then they also want to be taking a "relaxing" medication (like Klonopin or Xanax) at the same time to help balance out each other's effect.

I understand if you want to take a stimulant for ADHD and if you have an anxiety condition you take a benzo, but these people aren't using them together for that purpose and (whether it is or isn't the purpose), they don't mention using this combo for a "high".

I know you can't be in someone elses head, and I can't play doctor either, but what's the point of taking 2 pills if you want them both to cancel each other out. Wouldn't that just leave you in the original state you were at w/o the pills to begin with?

I hope what I'm asking and expressing makes since?

(Like I said I've not seen it here)

For people who don't have ADHD, stimulants can cause some angst and agitation. A benzo could possibly take that "edge" off without countering the added energy and increased mental acuity. IMO, if this combo is to counter lethargy inducing medication and is aimed at giving one a more normal life, it is treatment. If it is all about giving one a physical or mental agility advantage, then it is drug abuse. At any rate, as others have said, the two don't exactly counter each other.

I'm not at all sure I agree that people without ADHD taking stims to enhance their mental agility equals drug abuse. I just don't know that the potential for harm there suffices. Obviously, though, it's illegal to take someone else's meds, or to use medication prescribed for you in some novel fashion.

I totally agree with you SashaSue. I would never take someone else's meds or use my own the incorrect way. It just seemed that from what they were saying from the other site (I don't mention it's name because it might be a competing site with yours), and they say a very vague reason for using it suggesting they are either taking the stimulant in the morning and the anti-anxiety in the night or are attempting to balance the effect of each med by taking both meds at the same time.

That was my impression.

However, from what was said above by everybody, you all have excellent responses and I'm satisfied by your responses as to my initial question so thanks.

Andy.

• 1 month later...

I'm prescribed both and there are times I take both in the same day and sometimes when they overlap. It really depends for me on what my symptoms are. If I'm doing something where I need my ADHD under control (like working), I will take my Adderall. When I'm feeling anxious or panicky I take a benzo (either clonazepam or xanax depending on the degree). Sometimes it's REALLY tough for me to differentiate when what I'm feeling is ADHD symptoms and when it's anxiety. If I choose the wrong med, it can be a problem. Especially when I take Adderall because I think it's an ADHD symptom. That can put me straight into a panic attack. Which is why I only take that when I absolutely need to for work or concentrating on something important. I never take one to cancel out the other. I do feel my Adderall can sometimes trigger a bit of mania or sleeplessness but it's not consistent and that's not why I need the Clonazepam to sleep. I take it every night regardless.

• 4 weeks later...

I take Xanax ER every morning and at night to quiet my levels of anxiety. I no longer feel like I'm jumping out of my skin all the time. I also have Narcolepsy, so I take Concerta every morning so I can actually stay awake most of the day. The two meds do two entirely different things and without either of them, I don't function as well. I also take Parnate for my depression because it's the only drug that has even come close to working for me. EVERY med interaction site says maoi and stimulants are a big NO NO, but many times it is the only thing that works and they get Rx together when nothing else works. Parnate is very stimulating, but I still need an added stimulant to just get out of bed each day.

And taking the concerta never makes me feel jittery or wired. I simply stay awake. it's not giving me any anxiety, and not the reason I'm on Xanax. The Xanax came long before the stimulant. Sometimes there are reasons for med combos that may seem odd, but if they work for a person,. then mission accomplished.

• 1 month later...

I took Concerta, with Valium, Zyprexa and Prozac a while back.

Concerta had me up all night. I was very focused. And my room was much cleaner then than it is now!

I took Valium in the AM and PM, Zyprexa in the PM, and Prozac, AM. The Concerta was AM, also, and I was told not to take it after 4pm.

I didn't find that the drugs "canceled each other out", I found that I had good focus on what I was doing, and it woke me up in the morning.