CrazyBoards.org

;)   Ok, I picked up the schizoaffective disorder lable, I think due to the wild disordered thoughts and trouble getting a whole sentence out of my mouth. I was wondering if anyone else had the talking problem. If I miss taking my Seroquel, I start losing the ability to make a lot of sense during conversation. I forget words, trail off and forget to finish a sentence, start a new sentence in the middle of another one etc. I hate it, even more so when I'm not aware that I'm doing it. Is this common with the Schizoaffective disorder crowd?

Risperdal saved my social skills. I can think AND talk so much more easily. The talking difficulty wasn't really something that bothered me before (although it bothered other people), but I really noticed a difference in that I can talk more easily on Risperdal. I used to get confused by my own sentences, get my words mixed up, forget to finish my sentences and my thoughts would just FLY. You are definitely not alone in this. It's like when I switch topics suddenly in the middle of a sentence I expect people to follow my train of thought. Sometimes sentences are just too damn hard to put together.

• 2 weeks later...

(geez there's a lot of Dan's in the world)

At about my third pdoc appointment my pdoc said "your starting to make sense now." Before I was really hard to follow; half sentences, double sentences mixed in to one, skipping the main point that i was trying to convey and expecting people to get it, making up words which I thought were legit and of course connecting words by sound and rambling off mid conversation into a nonsense poem that i didn't know I was doing.

I spent a lot of time talking to my dogs because they were virtually the only ones left that would listen to me.

• 1 month later...

sorry to be a post digger...

When I had a manic type of episode a while back, I had a real problem getting the words out... I was making sense (I think) but it just wouldn't come out, in a sense like a really bad stutter almost only without the repeated bits (er... does that make sense?).

That lasted for a few days and co-occurred with some major physical agitation and panic attacks... Usually when my thoughts are racing, getting them out is no problem, I just talk too fast and topic jump, so it wasn't due to that I don't think.

but then they were muttering about that sort of thing being typical of Aspergers folks, though at that time they were treating me as Bipolar also, not Schizoaffective...

Interesting to hear other folks with a similar (though perhaps not identical) phenomenon, I did wonder about it...

sorry to be a post digger...

When I had a manic type of episode a while back, I had a real problem getting the words out... I was making sense (I think) but it just wouldn't come out, in a sense like a really bad stutter almost only without the repeated bits (er... does that make sense?).

That lasted for a few days and co-occurred with some major physical agitation and panic attacks... Usually when my thoughts are racing, getting them out is no problem, I just talk too fast and topic jump, so it wasn't due to that I don't think.

but then they were muttering about that sort of thing being typical of Aspergers folks, though at that time they were treating me as Bipolar also, not Schizoaffective...

Interesting to hear other folks with a similar (though perhaps not identical) phenomenon, I did wonder about it...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the treatment for bipolar and schizoaffective disorder is pretty much the same, quoth my tdoc and pdoc.  also to be schizoaffective you have to have these things while you're not manic or depressive, also quoth the pdoc/tdoc.

the treatment for bipolar and schizoaffective disorder is pretty much the same, quoth my tdoc and pdoc.  also to be schizoaffective you have to have these things while you're not manic or depressive, also quoth the pdoc/tdoc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi, yes, sorry I meant "treating me as" = "thought I was", at least so they were saying at the time, treatment is fairly similar as I understand it.  (Sorry for lack of clarity, reflecting my current state of mind.)

To be Schizoaffective, I'm a bit unclear as to the ICD 10 definition, as it differs a bit from the DSM IV - I'm located in Australia and apparently they are using ICD 10 definitions. I've read the official version and so on, but its not very helpful, and everyone I've spoken to about it IRL says something different. For example, my current psychologist (I have a case manager atm, yay) says Bipolar folks don't get any psychosis, and thats why I have been stuck in the Schizoaffective category. I think she's probably incorrect on that one...

When queried as to my diagnosis, my pdoc said it was the type of psychosis which co-occurred with mania that made them think that I was Schizoaffective (though it was mainly paranoia that was the problem there as I recall)... though, which he didn't mention as being a factor, I also was classified as having "negative symptoms" at one point in absence of any mood disorder (which was crap IMO, I was feeling depressed, irritable and uncooperative and I think thats all it was - how they can define such things with a 10 minuite, 8-weekly visit with my docs being changed all the time I don't know)

Apologies if any of the above doesnt make sense, I'm having a bit of a mixed states or something sort of thing atm, mind feels in danger of imminent implosion, hard to type as hands shaking so much bleh. Can't get to see the doc until next week either... grr.  er, sorry I'm bitching a lot... I shouldn't because there are lots of folks out there much worse off, and plus I'm fortunate to live in a country with free health care, however much it leaves to be desired.  Anyway thanks, Min, for your response.

To be Schizoaffective, I'm a bit unclear as to the ICD 10 definition, as it differs a bit from the DSM IV - I'm located in Australia and apparently they are using ICD 10 definitions. I've read the official version and so on, but its not very helpful, and everyone I've spoken to about it IRL says something different. For example, my current psychologist (I have a case manager atm, yay) says Bipolar folks don't get any psychosis, and thats why I have been stuck in the Schizoaffective category. I think she's probably incorrect on that one...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

if she is right i'm deffinitely schizoaffective.  i get psychosis all the time.

BP folks can and do suffer psychotic episodes. With BP a person can have a depressive or a manic episodes that include psychotic features. I am BP and I have been psychotic. I have had hallucinations, auditory and visual, I have had disorganized thinking. 

When queried as to my diagnosis, my pdoc said it was the type of psychosis which co-occurred with mania that made them think that I was Schizoaffective (though it was mainly paranoia that was the problem there as I recall)... though, which he didn't mention as being a factor, I also was classified as having "negative symptoms" at one point in absence of any mood disorder (which was crap IMO, I was feeling depressed, irritable and uncooperative and I think thats all it was - how they can define such things with a 10 minuite, 8-weekly visit with my docs being changed all the time I don't know)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The terms negative and positive symtoms are used to describe features of psychosis and with schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorders. Negative symptoms include: include restrictions in range of and intensity of emotional reactions (affective flattening), restrictions in the fluency and productivity of thought and speech, and restrictions in the initiation of goal directed behavior.

Positive symptoms include: distortions or exaggerations of inferential thinking (delusions), perceptions (halucinations), language and communication (disorganized speech), and behavioral montitoring (grossly disorgainized or catatonic behavior). Delusions can result in paranoia and paranoid thinking.

It is still difficult in many situations and individual cases to sort out BP, schizophrenia, and schizoaffective disorders. And as you say, getting a correct diagnosis is made even more difficult when you are only observed for short periods of time and visits with the podcs are few are far in between.

The main difference between BP and schizoaffective disorder is that a person has psychotic thinking/behaviors when they are not having a depressive or manic episode. People with BP generally only have psychotic symptoms in the midst of a depressive or manic episode.

I am sorry if any of my explanations are too technical, that is, they need to be put into "English, so to speak. Let me know if I can clarify anything by trying to translate things "into English."

What is important is for you to get the best treatment you can, find a medication or combination of medications that work to "get rid of" your symptoms. Some doctors like to label a person and treat the diagnosis, others like to treat symptoms and don't put as much weight on a diagnosis.

If you feel you are in crisis, call your doctor now. It is so important to treat any symptoms and changes in mood before they become severe.

Erika

Thanks so much Erika for your knowledge... much appreciated, and well explained.

Saw the Pdoc today, he feels that all it is is that I'm on the verge of Mania (one imagines dysphoric?), so has upped and supplimented my meds accordingly. I see him again next week, and if I get any worse he'll admit me (bleh).

In retrospect I should have tried to see him earlier as the insomnia and high anxiety/panic attacks had been going on for 6 weeks prior to now - one learns to take more care of the early warning signs I guess. I'm still fairly new at this MI management stuff.

thanks again 

(and now I've truly derailed this thread, sorry!)

Shadowcat,

Good to hear that you saw your pdoc and meds were adjusted accordingly. It is difficult to become away of "warning signs" when you are just beginning to understand and come to terms with a new MI Dx.

If it isn't posted elsewhere, say on the BP board, I will see about posting some potential warning signs that people should be aware of, signaling impending probelms et al.

Erika

• 2 weeks later...

I often find that I use very generic phrases and repeat words often, I don't have very expressive ways of communicating like I did before. I can't write either.

• 1 month later...

I repeat myself often and can't seem to get a sentence together either. I ahve been diagnosed BP1-mixed states..but when i take the MMPI or online tests, I come out schizoaffective. Maybe I will talk to a different Pdoc ..a psychologist gave me the MMPI and when i told my Pdoc, he acted like schizoaffective was just for when they couldn't fit you anywhere.

But I have extreme paranoia even without being in a manic or depressive epsiode. And anger. Problems communicating and anti-social. Does this sound like schizoaffective? Risperdal is helping somewhat with the paranoai and strange thoughts.

Psychotic symptoms in the absence of a mood episode is a criteria for schizoaffective Dx.

Do your pdoc and tdoc communicate/discuss your treatement and progress?

Schizoaffective Dx is very hard to diagnose. Correct treatment can be more important than a label but then a correct Dx is often needed in order to receive the best treatment. Difficult, yes. Talk to your tdoc some more, talk to your pdoc some more and be sure pdoc knows about all of your symptoms.

Thanks, I'll give it another try with the Pdoc. We do communicate, usually good,  but..he is a bit odd lately and I never know what mood HE will be in!  It's damn weird with him these days. I am going to someone else as soon as I can work it out with finances.

I thought it was weird that I come out schizoaffective on test, and I am very honest on them..but I am dx'ed BP.

Risperdal saved my social skills..  It's like when I switch topics suddenly in the middle of a sentence I expect people to follow my train of thought.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am starting Risperdal right now. Maybe it will help..I also switch topics suddenly! ..didin't know other people do that.

• 2 months later...

Archived