CrazyBoards.org

I'm waiting to hear from the pdoc, but curious about how quickly those of you on lamictal titrated up to a theraputic dose.  BTW, I take it for bipolar. 

I started on 25mg every other day for two weeks.  Then I went to 25 mg every day.  At this rate it will be early November until I'm at 100mg.  Does this seem slow to you?  I've heard that it generally takes about 5 weeks to reach 100. 

I really want off the Depakote because of the nasty side effects, so I guess I'm anxious to get up to theraputic levels of the lamictal so I can titrate down and discontinue the depabloat.

I'm also on Abilify, if that matters at all.

Lamictal and Depakote do not play particularly nicely together, so you get to go even more slowly than the regularly (go very slowly so you don't get a rash and can't take Lamictal anymore) scheduled titration.

The "standard" titration for Lamictal is four weeks before you take your first 100mg dose, and your pdoc will likely have you go at least two additional weeks, perhaps more, before that first 100mg dose because of the Depakote. That's sort of the deal with Lamictal, you have to be patient; if it's the right drug for you, it's well worth the wait.

Good luck.

Yes this is normal.  Actually slower than usual, but safer.

Lamictal is the one drug you do not want to rush.  If you push it too fast you can get really sick and lose the use of a great drug. Take it slow and give your body time to adjust.

DO NOT RUSH LAMICTAL!

A.M.

My doc had me go slow because I was coming off Depakote.  I believe depakote increases the amount of Lamictal or the effect of lamictal in your blood or something that makes you have bad reactions easier.  (little help psychopharmacology geniuses...)

I did 12.5 for 2 weeks, 25 for 2 weeks, then 50 for 1 week, 100 for 1 week, 150 for 1 week and topping out at 200 (that's this thursday for those of you keeping track).  The reason my doc sped it up is because she figured the depakote was completely out of my system by then and gosh darn it I needed help.  Yes, it is painfully, excruciatingly slow titration.  It MUST be slower if you are on Depakote.  I don't even think you are supposed to be on Depakote and Lamictal at the same time, but it may just be my doc.  Abilify should take the edge off I think, I got anesthetized to life by seroquel. Zombification is better than suicidal. 

Supergwen is right. The lamictal PI sheet even has a separate titration schedule for those taking depakote which matches Supergwen's schedule.  But you;re getting twice as much lami so long as you have depakote in your system, so it's better to go slow.

I just started Lamictal and even on my "subtheraputic" dose of Depakote, I'm still going super slow.  My doc said 2 months with a target of 75...that's right, 75.  Because Depakote doubles the serum level of Lamictal in your system.  Also I had to give up my birth control because that also messes with serum level (increases it).  I'm doing 12.5 for two weeks, 25 for two weeks, 37.5 for two weeks, 50 for two weeks then 75...  Super slow.  I don't want to fail on Lamictal.  I've already failed on trileptal/tegretol and high doses of depakote.  Lithium isn't a great choice for me, so this one's gotta work.  Take it slow.

The good thing about being on depakote is that you may get relief from lamictal

at a lower dose than you would have without the combo.  I felt depression ease

at 50 mgs lamictal when I was on depakote.  Good luck with it.

Archived