CrazyBoards.org

Jumping into the deep end

Hi Tomboy....

I've been playing with this MI game for several years now and my experience has been that it doesn't just go away.  I think it's great that you decided to do therapy, and even better that you are seeing a pdoc for meds.  Personally, I wouldn't worry about trying meds that didn't work for you before.  But I would be sure to tell the pdoc all about your experiences with them and what happened when you were on them.

Meds are strange.  I've found that some I liked in the past no longer worked the next time around.  Conversely, I've had some work beautifully.  I think a great deal depends on the cocktail you end up with.  The pdoc will best be able to judge that.  It sounds like you are on the right path!  I hope you continue to post and tell us what happens with your meds.  I'm interested.

Dan~

TomBoy, a formal welcome ;)

It sounds like you are doing some great things to take care of yourself. I hope it continues to help you.

As far as the pdoc and meds, **just my own experience** but when I saw my new pdoc and we talked about meds, I told him upfront that there were meds that I had tried/didn't work or messed me up even more. He listened and we came up with my combo.

He's bad about doing call backs, but good about hearing what I say about meds.

good luck!

spike

Welcome aboard Tomboy.  In my opinion, (dontcha just love all these opinions) ;) , I would want to nip that puppy in the bud with meds before it becomes a real monster.  I think it is a good idea to take care of the problem before it gets so bad that you feel like nothing will work ever again.  Problem with depression is most of us secretly think it either won't come back or that it won't be as bad as we remembered.  In my experience it unfortunately does.

Get the all the help that is offered, it usually makes the battle easier once we get past the stigma and uncertainty.  Take care, Sulu

hi tom, i think it's when the pdocs start calling you that you need to really worry.

it sounds like you're being really smart about seeking help ahead of more potential trouble. i've never done emdr before. i see a tdoc about one every billion years it seems and i have no idea what type of therapy i get. it's usually just me blabbering away. she'll ask me questions or make comments to steer the ship a bit and i plunge on till the 50 minutes is up.

good on ya for pre-empting things a bit.

grouse.

Thanks so much for the welcomes.  Means a lot to me, it does.

The scary thing about depression is that it does this sneak attack ambush kind of thing, where everything will seem ok and then something happens and then I don

Ha!  Finally heard back from the guy who may or may not be my psychiatrist.  It only took him a week to return my call.  He called my office.  At 9pm last night.  I wasn't there.  So now I need to call him back.  Again.

I had a bad day at work yesterday and a therapy appointment right after.  Nothing like running into the psycholologists office, 7 minutes late and in the middle of a panic attack.  Yeah.  That was fun. 

It's good your pdoc at least called to let you know he's alive.  Hopefully you'll get in to see him soon and he turns out to be a good doctor and knows his business.

I know what you mean about depression making sneak attacks.  That's just what happened to me this last time.  I usually have had several years between episodes and this one came only a year or two after the last one.  Of course I didn't believe that was what was wrong, but like you, I didn't really have any other good reason for why I hadn't gotten out of bed for days on end and why I needed to rest after I brushed my teeth.  Depression sucks!

Let us know how things go with the new doc.

Archived