CrazyBoards.org

vitamin b6

Guest Guest_chris_*

Guest Guest_chris_*

hi everybody, i've recently started taking b6 and magnesium and ive had amazing results. ive been able to go out and actually speak to people and look at them in the eyes and they actually understand me. i started out taking 500 mg of b6 with no effect then i tried 1000 mg and noticed definite positive effects and then i tried 1500 mg and i feel like a new person now. for  anybody out there who has aspergers or autism you should really try this stuff because it could be very worth your while. if you do try it make sure to take magnesium with it, i take 400 mg of it daily.

Guest_chris_*, I'm glad you found something that works well for you. Treatment for autistic spectrum disorders seems very limited.

I guess whatever works, works.

I read some places that autism is a 'vitamin b6 dependency' syndrome. I think some problems that arise from excess B6 comes from not taking a B-Complex with it. When you take a lone B Vitamin, it can cause deficiencies in the other and therefore, side effects. That's why you take a B-complex with a lone B-vitamin to prevent those. Also, the side effects from high levels of B6 come from Magnesium deficiency. That's why Magnesium supplementation is included.

I take 300mg of P5P (active form of B6), 3.6g of EPA/DHA (5:1 ratio) from Omega3, and 500mg of Magnesium Taurate. Effect of 300mg of P5P is equivalent to like 3,000mg of B6 since only 1/10 of the P5P dose is required to achieve the same of effect of regular B6. With P5P, I only have to take fewer pills. My doctor knows I take all of this.

With this regimen, I seem to have more desire to speak with people as well. It helps my social phobia too. I seem to have more interest in things around me, and I'm more mentally sharp than before. Before taking all of these supplements, my voice use to have a mono-tonish flat sound to it, and I always found it very difficult to come up with things to say. It was like my thoughts were inhibited/blocked. My affect was more flat as well. Back then, I hardly (if at all) ever posted to message boards on the internet. It was like I was almost non-verbal as I had major problems with poverty of speech. It's like these supplements lubricate/oil and charge my brain and increase its activity

I'm not sure if I have Aspergers Disorder or not, as I've never been diagnosed with it, but I've always matched many symptoms of it over the years especially the OCD and social problems. When I was a child, before being diagnosed Bipolar, I was intially misdiagnosed as PDD-NOS (Pervasive Developmental Disorder) and ADHD. I was given stimulants (Ritalin, Cylert) in the past.

hi everybody, i've recently started taking b6 and magnesium and ive had amazing results. ive been able to go out and actually speak to people and look at them in the eyes and they actually understand me. i started out taking 500 mg of b6 with no effect then i tried 1000 mg and noticed definite positive effects and then i tried 1500 mg and i feel like a new person now. for

I'll also throw in that active B6 (P5P) and Magnesium helped me with Klonopin withdrawal a while ago, presumably for the same reason, which is that these chemicals aid in GABA production, which is what Klonopin (clonazepam) acts on, and this is well-established as a treatment for social anxiety/social phobia. But thanks for the reminder, and for pointing out that dosage matters. I never experimented to see if I could replace the Klonopin entirely with these drugs (I'm all about breaking a dependency on psychiatry).

I'm gonna try the higher dose tonight. How fast did you notice effects?

Wait I was taking B6 and *manganese*, not magnesium. Big difference.

Also, 1000mg? The pills I have are 50mg... Are you telling me I should take 20 of these? Please clarify.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You don't have to take 20 of those. Some bottles of B6 comes with 200mg Tablets/Capsules. Its only takes 5 of them to equal 1,000mg. When I took regular B6, I took up to 1,800mg in capsule form.

Also, some places (particularly online) sell bulk B6 in powder form so you can take higher doses. If you plan to take higher doses, don't forget to take a B-complex vitamin, so you can prevent deficiencies of other B-vitamins.

Yes, B6/P5P is required for GABA, Serotonin, Dopamine, and Norepinephrine production.

For example Serotonin: Vitamin B6/P5P is required in the conversions of 5-HTP into serotonin. Keep in mind, if you're deficient in B6, the 5-HTP/Tryptophan in your brain never gets turned into serotonin. This can cause low Serotonin levels. Also, P5P/B6 is required for conversion of Tyrosine into Dopamine/Norepinephrine.

Guest Guest_chris_*

I read some places that autism is a 'vitamin b6 dependency' syndrome. I think some problems that arise from excess B6 comes from not taking a B-Complex with it. When you take a lone B Vitamin, it can cause deficiencies in the other and therefore, side effects. That's why you take a B-complex with a lone B-vitamin to prevent those. Also, the side effects from high levels of B6 come from Magnesium deficiency. That's why Magnesium supplementation is included.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The people saying autism REQUIRES b6 are full of shit curemongers whod rather have us dead than walking around. The chelation freaks. did yall hear about the kid recently who died from chelation?

B6 is really BAD for people with PST deficiency. PST deficiency is extraordinarily common in autism.

But what do I know? Im just active in the community and research this shit...

Kassiane

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

how do you find out if you have a pst deficiency and what are the symptoms?

I'm sure it's blatently obvious, but...

1. Mopar takes supplements with the full knowledge and consent of his physician.  ie: His supplements have been cross-checked against his conditions and his medications for possible contraindications.

The rest of us bozos are neither Mopar nor his physician, so perhaps if we are interested in his regime, we should seek out similar professional guidance.

2. Kassiane, though a "familiar" to those of us here on the boards, is actually well known in professional Autism circles as a knowledgeable, informed, published author. 

In my experience, it is rarely in anyone's best interest to mistake passion for a particular issue as ignorance or incompetence of said issue.

None of my past 3 pdocs had heard of 5-HTP or the use of B6 and manganese to treat anything. I experimented on my own, and found them to be helpful. In general I'll trust anyone else's experience at least as much as the doctors who have treated me like a guinea pig with the latest meds over the years.

I don't know who said Kassiane was ignorant; wasn't me. I'm not autistic though. I'm interested in drugs for social anxiety, that's all.

Theres a post on the food allergies board.

Kassiane

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here's a link to the post that Kassiane referenced:

http://www.crazyboards.org/index.php?showtopic=268

My personal opinion is that this is bunk. (The B6, Magnesium, Chelation stuff)  That's just my opinion, I've no scientific research to back that up.  Not speaking in an Admin mode, just as a person. 

Keep in mind I have to get a B12 shot in the ass once a month for the rest of my life because my intestines no longer absorb it.  So that may colour my opinion.

Maddy.

My personal opinion is that this is bunk. (The B6, Magnesium, Chelation stuff)

Keep in mind I have to get a B12 shot in the ass once a month for the rest of my life because my intestines no longer absorb it.  So that may colour my opinion.

Maddy, can you clarify this?  What's the connection between your B12 shots and the bunk thing? 

Just curious, no ulterior motives here, "nothing between the lines".  I get weekly B12 injections for my chronic fatigue issues, and my youngest (non-ASD) daughter has PST issues, so I'm just reading along with interest. 

FWIW I personally find that regular B6 makes me very irritable but I tolerate P5P with no problems.  ymmv indeed.

Maddy, can you clarify this?  What's the connection between your B12 shots and the bunk thing? 
The connection is that I take shots for pernicious anemia, something that can be backed up.  Until I can get more proof on the B6 thing, I just have a hard time believing it for myself. 

Like I said, just my personal opinion.  Hey, if it works for someone else, good for them.  However, I find Chelation (outside of it's original intended use) to be a dangerous and unnecessary procedure.

Just curious, no ulterior motives here, "nothing between the lines".  I get weekly B12 injections for my chronic fatigue issues, and my youngest (non-ASD) daughter has PST issues, so I'm just reading along with interest. 

FWIW I personally find that regular B6 makes me very irritable but I tolerate P5P with no problems.  ymmv indeed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

PST issues I find more credible in my opinion.  Again, in my opinion.  YMMV, etc. etc. 

Maddy.

Yes.

Bulk B6 powder can be found at Beyond-A-Century. The site address for the B-Vitamins page is:

http://www.easycart.net/BeyondACenturyInc./B_Vitamins.html

This place carries 100 grams of B6 at $6.50 a bottle. At, let's say, 3g of B6 a day (the highest recommended for Autism), this should last you for a month.

The cheapest I could find P5P for is here at MyVitanet (180 50mg caps for $22):

http://www.myvitanet.com/p5p50180cap.html

At 300mg/day, for example, that's a month supply.

Hope this helps.

Mopar -- I did not know that. Thanks!

Recommend any good sources to buy B6 in bulk? And is it active B6?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

PST issues I find more credible in my opinion.  Again, in my opinion.  YMMV, etc. etc. 

Maddy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, all I can say is this:  I started taking B6 approximately a month ago. 

I am an idiot.

Seizure activity, has been noticeably increasing since I started taking it.

Of course, I didn't think there was anything possibly connected until this thread.

Doesn't necessarily mean this is the issue.  But I am going to abstain from the b6 from now on.  It likely isn't helping.

~navy~

[with the dye issues]

Guest Guest_chris_*

another interesting thing i found out is that I think i have pyroluria, i have damn near all the symptoms and am a recovering alcoholic. im gonna take the urine test to see if I have it and at what level.

Yeah, I took Ginkgo Biloba for like over 6 weeks. I was on 200mg of Lamictal at the time. The amount of Ginkgo Biloba I took was 120mg twice a day for a total of 240mg per day. But. I stopped the Ginkgo Biloba because I ran out of it and never bothered to get anymore. Additionally, I also was taking 10,000mcg of Folic Acid per day and 600mg B6 per day during some of that time frame of taking Ginkgo Biloba.

and I know how you feel!

I just found out the extra gingko I've been taking is indeed reducing the levels of my Lamictal and my Armour thyroid. My pdoc did know about it--he just didn't know I was taking so much.

Damn!

spike

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not taking B6, P5P, or Folic Acid ever again.

Whoa there, cowboy!!  Note how the Vitacost page has very carefully provided citations for a lot of those claims, however the thing about B6 and reduced AC blood levels is only discussed in terms of "there have been reports".  Now I'm not saying you should or shouldn't take B6, but I perused Pubmed for a bit just now and didn't find anything that backs up said reports

Which doesn't absolutely mean it's not true, either, LOL ... just that it's all a bit shaky.  You seem to have a rare doctor who understands these things; might I recommend that you ask him about it?  Although ... hmmm, if he didn't catch the ginkgo or the DHEA interactions....  Well, maybe he'd be willing to research it anyway.  There are several studies that show AC's reducing blood levels of various nutrients. Which doesn't mean we can run out willy-nilly and supplement with those either.  Damn, this is complicated!

Another thing I don't like about that page and several like it is the way they lump all anticonvulsants together.  Some have specific issues (valproic acid and carnitine, carbamazepine/lamotrigine and folic acid, etc.) that I think are even in the PI sheets.  But since there are several different mechanisms of action for AC's, it would stand to reason (at least in my pea brain) that their nutrient interactions might be variable too.  I have a pet peeve about over-generalization.  Can you tell?! ;)

Archived