CrazyBoards.org

would an MD prescribe drug under a guise?

I wonder if an MD would prescribe an antidepressant telling me it was for my migraines, but he really thought I was depressed? He'd tell me so, wouldn't he? I'm starting to suspect that my neurologist is really treating me for depression and anxiety, not just migraines. He told me yesterday that my "headaches are on their own," meaning there not caused by anything.

Diane B

Guest Vapourware

I would think that it was unethical and unprofessional for a doctor to prescribe medication without your knowing? I was under the impression doctors must tell you exactly what is happening and the reasons why.

Maybe you an ask your doctor about your treatment program?

when i was about 13 or 14 and first started getting treated for my migraines i was prescribed amnitriptyline (i think that is hte spelling) and i believe that is some form of anti- depressant. that is why my mom took me off it anyhow. then a couple of yrs ago i was prescribed topomax which i believe is now used for bipolar. neither helped but well thats another story.

I've been taking Topomax for a few years for depression, which is an "off-label usage", meaning you won't find depression listed anywhere under what Topomax will treat.  It was first developed as an anti-seizure medication.

Topomax was just recently approved by the FDA for use in treatment of migraines, but that doesn't mean doctors haven't been prescribing it for migraine treatment for some time.  Doctors can prescribe whatever they want, whether or not it shows up on the drug's prescribing information as an appropriate usage.  Hopefully your doctor is telling you the truth re your diagnosis.  It's worth a phone call to find out.

Thanks for the replies. I understand about off-label uses of many types of drugs---I've also taken topamax for the migraines. On one hand, I'd like to know if he thinks I'm depressed---but on the other hand, I'm not sure, as long as I'm feeling well. The Wellbutrin XL seems to help my head and makes me feel better all around. I know that there are several studies that show a positive correlation between depression and migraine. Also, when you're in the middle of a long-term migraine, it can make you feel crazy.

Thanks again, Diane b

I've never heard of anyone taking Wellbutrin for migraines. It certainly doesn't do anything for mine (but it definitely helps with depression!). Topamax is one of the leading preventative meds. Verapamil (sp?) is another one - that one is traditionally used to treat heart arythmia. Imitrex is the leading abortive med. Have you read through the stuff on the migraine board?

"Other Forms: Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL,

Class: Antidepressant, specifically a multiple reuptake inhibitor

Read up on these sections if you haven't done so already, because they cover a lot of information about multiple medications that I'm not going to repeat on many pages.  I'm just autistic that way about not repeating myself.

FDA Approved Uses: Depression, Smoking Cessation (as Zyban)

Off-Label Uses: Weight Loss, Bipolar Depression, ADD/ADHD, Fibromyalgia, Arthritis, Chronic Fatigue, Multiple Sclerosis, Lupus, Headaches, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)"

I copied this from crazymeds.  My sister has had killer migraines ever since she was a child.  They are called myocular, or something like that.  She starts out with a small spot in the center of each eye that she says looks as those she were trying to look thru water.  It progresses until she only has peripheral vision, at the very edges of her eyes, and finally goes completely blind.  She cannot see light at all.  During this time the pain is so intense she screams.  Among other things the neurologist prescribed 450 mg of Wellbutrin.  She says that is the only thing that prevents the blindness and lessens the pain.  I thought it strange too, as I take Wellbutrin XL for depression.  Forntunately I have never had a migraine.

Dan~

Wellbutrin does help my headaches. I tried Topamax, but it made the head pain worse. The only thing I liked about it was that I was able to lose the 15 lbs I gained from Lexapro and Elavil.

I take Imitrex for severe pain and Fioricet when it's bothersome, but not too pounding.

Diane B

Archived