CrazyBoards.org

Cocktails for BPI

Just curious to see who out there has BPI and has had the fortune to find the right cocktail for right now (I realise that what works this week might not work next month, etc)

After a few years of misdiagnoses and crappy, even dangerous, treatment, I think I'm finally on something that's actually helping stabilise me.  I'm in the middle of an incredibly stressful time personally, so the pdoc has added thorazine to shut my head up at night, but other than that I'm feeling on a far more even keel than I have in the past.  What seems to be working: 1500mg Trileptal (300mg morning, 1200mg night) and 200mg Lamictal (100mg morning, 100mg night).

I know your question is about what IS working, I can only tell you what isn't working for me.

abilify10

paxil  50

wellbutrin 300

trazadone 25

I've been stuck in depilitating depression for almost a year!  The best I can say is that at least I haven't become manic and that would mean I would probably end up in big trouble if not worse.

I've heard so many good things about Lamictal, but it didn't work on the depression for me.  It scares because it makes me feel like I might be med resistant.

Lili

Right now this is what I'm on:

Risperdal 3mgs

Lamictal 25mgs (going up to 50 in a week, then will keep going up from there)

Ambien 10mgs

Valium 10-20mgs as needed

Anafranil 100mgs (prescribed for my ocd but seems to really have helped my depression also)

I just switched from Tegretol XR to Lamictal, so am just beginning the Lamictal titration. I also just got off Zoloft a few weeks ago. I was on Zoloft & Tegretol for a while, and was in a crazy, constant ultradian roller coaster between mania and SEVERE depression, pretty much the whole time. So I can say that Tegretol and Zoloft only made things worse, and they were a nightmare for me.

But now completely off both Zoloft and Tegretol, and adding Lamictal, I'm actually starting to see some stability in my moods for the first time in years.

That's awesome that you seem to have found something that works for you, too.

• 1 month later...

1200 mg Trileptal + 200 mg Zoloft + 300 mg Trazodone worked wonderfully for me.  Unfortunately, the Trileptal gave me a rash and I had to stop taking it.

Next was 2 mg Risperdal + 200 mg Zoloft + 300 mg Trazodone.  It sent me into dysphoric mania.

Now I am doing 250 mg Seroquel + 200 mg Zoloft and it seems to be slowly getting things back into control.  We'll see.

I know your question is about what IS working, I can only tell you what isn't working for me.

abilify10

paxil  50

wellbutrin 300

trazadone 25

I've been stuck in depilitating depression for almost a year!  The best I can say is that at least I haven't become manic and that would mean I would probably end up in big trouble if not worse.

I've heard so many good things about Lamictal, but it didn't work on the depression for me.  It scares because it makes me feel like I might be med resistant.

Lili

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Paxil did nothing for me.....perhaps you need to change it to something else.

I have BP1 too.

I take Depakote 1500mg (500 3 x a day), Lamictal 150mg (all PM), and Risperdal .5mg (PM)

The combo is the latest in a long line.  I am pretty happy with it so far (I'm only 2 weeks in)- each med seems to add something different to the mix!

Archived