CrazyBoards.org

Topamax and alcohol cessation

Guest Guest_Jen_*

I have being doing some research on the use of topamax for slowing down/stopping drinking.  What are people's experience on this board with the (1)use of topamax and your desire to drink (have you seen a decrease?), (2) did you use to abuse alcohol in any way before taking topa and (3)at what mg dosage have you seen the most marked result?  Thanks for any info!

Jen

Gee, I just threw away a Time article (or Newsweek?  Whatever...) on that.

I'm a bloody alcoholic.  RAGING alcoholic.  TYopa slowed that shit waaaaay down at 50 mg, which I'm still on, though I was at 400 (went back down due to $$).  I can MAYBE drink 5 beers now.  On a "good" day.  (Sarcastic good, natch)  Rather than, say, 12-18.

However, the other meds (Lamictal & Lithium) likely contribute.  Plus, beinb more stable, less manic.

So there ya go, from a bipolar POV, anyways.

I found that, not only did I not want it as much (like CNS says, not as manic), but that Topamax took the "effect" out of alcohol for me.

Oh yeah, the effect thing... I've mentioned elsewhere, that I just can't get drunk anymore, leastways not like in the past.  Nor do I get the buzz that makes alcohol pleasurable--to me, at least.

(sigh)  The price of a semblance of sanity...

On topa's cousin drug tegretol I've gone from a six pack a night to a 12-pack a week. I don't really have the itch to drink like I used to. A few nights ago I decided to have 4 manhattens over 5-6 hours just for the hell of it because I had easy access to good bourbon.  I was totally blotto and could barely function the entire next day.

I've been on 400mgs for a bit over a month.

Archived