CrazyBoards.org

I was having visual hallucinations so my pdoc doubled my Geodon and ordered some blood work.  Now I understand that my electrolytes(sounds like tiny robots) and sodium are not right, so he is having me cut back on the Trileptal and see him again in a week.  Is this going to goof up the Lamictal?  I'm going from 450mg of the Trileptal twice a day down to 300mg instead.  He was pretty concerned about the hallucinations; he says visuals are not common in bipolars, and thinks it may be "organic" whatever that may mean.  I know it's got nothing to do with fruits and vegetables. 

Does anybody else have an experience like this?  I got an increase on the Geodon a year or two ago when I was having...visual hallucinations.  I didn't think it was making me sleepy doubling it up, but I had a small accident yesterday that my husband is convinced was due to impairment from the extra Geodon.

It's really awful having to keep this a secret from people at work.  I work at a school and am very afraid that people will think someone like me should not be allowed around children.  And that's what I do. ;)

Can you find out what exactly your sodium level was?  Normal is like 135-145; mine was down to 121 a few years ago thanks to Trileptal (1500mg a day) and the diuretic I was taking for high blood pressure.  It caused generalized convulsive blackout seizures.

Now that I have your attention...

;)   Visual hallucinations can be a form of partial seizure, so that MIGHT be what the doc meant by "organic".  ??  Don't know.  Hopefully you'll get another blood draw soon and see if the decrease helped.  Meantime, like Dan said, you can drink Gatorade.  Although you might not want to embark on any dietary remediation until you re-check your sodium levels and see just how serious things are.

I have stayed on Trileptal, 1200-1350mg a day.  But I've reduced my fluid intake to less than three quarts per day (including coffee, mil, etc.)  Not hard for most people, but I was used to drinking a ton of water every day.  Also I was trying to eat a lot of salty foods for awhile, but what I find works better is to mix 1/4 tsp. of sea salt in a glass of water and drink it.  One a day, per naturopath's prescription.  That way I don't have to worry about the sugar from Gatorade, the fat from chips, etc.  My sodium hangs around 133-134, and I have to watch my salt and fluids intake closer during hot weather.  I may at some point try switching off the Trileptal, but it works so well for my moods that I've been reluctant.

Archived